gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 28, 2024, 11:49 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Rebel freestyler.............??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rebel freestyler.............??  (Read 6484 times)

macky

Rebel freestyler.............??
« on: March 27, 2008, 12:58 AM »
I've been looking through Rad's Museum.. some Excellent bikes on there...

i noticed this Rebel Freestyler on there posted by  Daz bmx it...

Nice bike.......

I used to ride a Rebel when i started riding bfa comps...

mine was apparently a race/ freestyle hybrid, still had the single into twin top tube...

platform wasnt as big as this one, just went down to the drop outs...

Also, it had an extra tube behind the seat post running from the b.b. to the t.t.!!

Ive never ever seen one like mine scince then and this Rebel is the closest thing i seen..

in fact, this is the ONLY REBEL i've seen scince then!!

has anyone got any pics or ad's, or know of any web sites ??

I'd love to see one again!!

this is the only decent pic i've got of my one.....

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:58 AM by DaveMc. »

garethgeezer

Re: Rebel freestyler.............??
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 07:54 AM »
Can't help with your request, but I rode a Rebel bitd so I'd be keen to see more of them. Mine was one of the first Rebel Freestyle models, conventional chrome frame with twin top tubes, a coaster bracket and no extra tubes/platforms etc. Loved it to bits. It had yellow coaster Skyways and Skyway EZ bars, but sadly I sold it to finance a skateboard in 1985!
Anyone got a Rebel Freestyler f&F for sale btw?!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:58 AM »
Dave, a member on here (and general nice bloke)  ;) sawzal has a lovely Rebel freestyler......it should be in the museum section.

they also did the chrome freestyle frame which looked very Gen1 ish, i believe it was the same as the Faze 7 freestyle frame but that was sold powdered rather than chrome (which should also be in the museum section i think)  :daumenhoch:

Rebel
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=2512.0

Faze 7
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=8132.0

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 08:00 AM by pickle »

macky

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:54 AM »
Cool bikes!! I've seen the Rebel but thats first Faze 7 i've seen!!

I found that the company owner was Bernie Anderson who also owns the  A.B.A.

but i'm a bit stuck finding the bikes though...

I reckon there's gonna be someone on Rad who'll know something... 

this is how far i got like... :-\

http://www.ababmx.com/index.php?page=default/newsview&newsid=436&search=

http://www.rebelcycle.com/index.html

I swapped mine for a Haro sport f&f in 89/ 90...

are they rare because i've only ever seen 2 myself... and 1 was mine!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:00 AM by DaveMc. »

dannywhiteley

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 09:04 AM »
Ive loved Rebels ever since I was a kid, when a lad I new at school (the cool kid with all the best clothes, trainers, bikes etc) had one.  His was a standard single top tube race style bike, but I got matey with him in the summer of 86 and he let me ride it.

sawzalls race frame

Looking into it, ive noticed that apart from the single top tube bike my mate had, there are atleast 3 different freestyle bikes.

The one like daz bmx's with the extra long foot stand

This one is/was sawzall's

There was the twin top tube (gen 1 alike) - pic courtesy of clonerz.  This frame was also painted white and branded as a FAZE 7 (as above)

and the one you had with the extra tube behind the seat post.  This is Rom Bloke's

This was posted in the museum by FIL EBZ.

and winnets

As far as I am aware most Rebels came in chrome, but whites are about also.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:04 AM »
 :) I remember Halfords in Watford sold Rebel frames......A bike shop near where I live sold a NOS Rebel f/f about a year ago for £50-I missed it by few days!

They also had Skyway race gear & sliders & genuine Suntour Beartraps-£14.99!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:40 AM by HEYWOOD BMX »

dannywhiteley

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:13 AM »
Dont tell me that, I live just down the road from Watford.

If anyone wants to swap a Rebel f/f (any type) for my Robinson Pro complete bike, please get in touch.  Only stipulation is that the frame must be in very good condition (chrome or white) and it must have intact decals.

macky

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 09:25 AM »
Wow!!  :shocked:  WOW!! I've only ever seen 2 Rebel's in my life... and then all that!! hehe!!  :shocked:

Yup, this was like the one i had!! can't believe it!! thought i'd never see one again!!  ;D

I bought mine from John Terry's leisure in 87ish i think...

I learnt so much on this bike...

THANX for posting these pic's!!!  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

I think i want 1 again!!  :'(

are they hard to come across??

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:35 AM by DaveMc. »

dannywhiteley

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 09:39 AM »
I would say yes, and take what you find cos you never know what will turn up again.

By the way, anyone recognise this logo:-

Its Revell Models (make model cars etc)...  Surely a co-incidence?   ;)

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:42 AM »
there was one on ebay last month, not described as rebel. no forks though, went for 26 quid.
I want to touch ORB

macky

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 09:57 AM »
there was one on ebay last month, not described as rebel. no forks though, went for 26 quid.

This has filled me full of hope!! ;D

I havn't built an old skooler yet....  be great if i build a Rebel like my old one!!!  :smitten:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 01:21 PM by DaveMc. »

macky

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 02:07 PM »

I keep coming back to look at these Rebel pics!!! hahaha!!  ;D

Made up these with pics!!!! Thanx again for posting!!!  :daumenhoch:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Wanted to post this and thought it best to keep it in the Rebel thread.  Advert from BMX Action issue 18 (May 84)..

Also my NOS Rebel pad I picked up recently, gonna get a set made up using this as the template.

My frame/forks are now stripped and soon to be powdered white.

If anyone has any Rebel parts (pads, frames, bars, seat posts, clothing) that they want to sell, please let me know.

macky

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 08:03 PM »

Never seen that Ad before... i noticed the extra bar behind the seat tube on the Frame he's holding... similar to
my old frame apart from the single into twin top tube!!!

i'll keep me ear's open for any Rebel part's!!!  :daumenhoch:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Yeah, I bought the mag purely for that advert.  £15 posted was a bit pricey for an advert, but worth it.

You know, until you said that about the frame being similar, I though it was exactly the same.  I had one of those frames (like yours) recently and never realised the one in the advert was different.  More of a race frame the one in the advert.

clonerz

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 10:18 PM »
I must say, although i own a rebel, they really do not show up very often these days in my experience. And to find one with decals intact is maybe more difficult. Although they werent a super expensive frame back in the day, i know not tons and tons of them were sold. I feel that they now must be one of the hidden gems in the british made BMX section, (im sure they were made in the U.K.) They were very well made from reynolds 531 tubing (frame and forks) and were around about the same price as the DP freestyler, but in my opinion they are a superior product. Very strong, and the chrome plate on them is excellent. I wish there was more survivors left of these to buy as there a great inexpensive (at the moment) build.

dannywhiteley

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 11:12 PM »
You are correct, they very rarely show up, and when they do almost always have the decals missing.  This I believe leads them to be mis represented.

I just bought a frame and forks (same as yours clonerz - twin top tube frame and genuine forks), only it wasnt quite as the auction described.  The frame was badly hand painted silver (not chrome as it looked it the auction), the seat tube is split below the top tube and the cranks were missing parts.   Not very impressed as I paid £155 for it.

However, after speaking to the seller and explaining my displeasure, he refunded £95, meaning it only cost me the £60 he had invested in it, so fair play to him.  More like it, but still have a damaged frame thats no good to me.  Luckily I didnt sell my other Rebel frame (in my signature below) that I can use with the forks.

All stripped now ready for white powder and new repop decals and pads.

I also just won a set of NOS Reynolds 531 Peugeot bars from Alans that will have the Peugeot sticker removed and replaced with a Rebel decal as they are exactly the same as the Xpert bar in the ad below.

The one reason I love Rebel so much is its the bike that the cool kid in my class had when I was a 10 year old living in Anglesey, Wales.  He had a chrome race frame, and everyone else had Halfords specials.  He let me ride it back in summer 86 and it spawned a longing to eventually own one.  However the race frame seems even harder to find, and anyway, im a sucker for a twin top tube...

nickk

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 06:16 PM »
Just joined the forum lovin  :smitten: these rebel threads as i need to get this bad boy back to its former glory

Where did you get your decals from danny?  ;)   

dannywhiteley

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 06:26 PM »
You dont wanna sell it do you...?

Pm Del for decals, he's just making me a set up from scratch.

nickk

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Ha Ha think i might hang onto it for bit sorry bud,Cheers for the decal info anyways :daumenhoch:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Rebel freestyler.............??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx