gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 12:08 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  "Collectors" bikes, should I keep this?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: "Collectors" bikes, should I keep this?  (Read 1710 times)

2unfit2ride

"Collectors" bikes, should I keep this?
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:44 PM »
Hi guys, when I first had an inkling that I wanted a BMX again I bought a Burner "anniversary" thingy like this

Now my question is should I keep it, or cut & run???

I am never going to use it as it feels wrong, but I thought at the time "its an investment", I now think I was deluding myself, so what would you do with it if it was yours, they seem to make decent money on ebay?

Cheers

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: "Collectors" bikes, should I keep this?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:55 PM »
I bought one of these when they first came out. Sold it on as soon as I got it out the box though as basically it was crap - sorry but just being honest  ;)
Managed to make my money back + a little bit extra though  :)
I don't think these will ever become collectable. If someone really wants an Aero Pro they will want to buy the real thing. Raleigh have also being cashing in and bringing out other versions for example the Tuff Burner, Mag Burner etc (basically the same bike but painted different colours!). If they had kept to the original concept of a limited run of 500 bikes only it might have been worth it but not now.
Just my 2 cents worth  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:56 PM by phantom photon »

Sparky24

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:56 PM »
get rid of it i don,t think it will go up in value due to it not having any parts that will ever be thought after, you get around the £250 mark if not alittle more . you just missed out on selling it to zippy  :daumenhoch:

2unfit2ride

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:43 AM »
Fair enough, I'll get it on the bay & see what happens.
Cheers.

2unfit2ride

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:39 PM »
Bump, any more thoughts peeps?

I was thinking keep it as a few quid ain't exactly going to go far, but then a bird in the hand & all that ???

Feck I'm confused, & I hate the evil bay, what do you recon it will make on here, £200?, rather sell it to a true enthusiast then hold out for top dollar :angel:

Cheers!

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 10:47 PM »
True enthusiasts already bought them, then ebayed them   :LolLolLolLol:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

2020mad

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 11:11 PM »
If you dont need the cash and have somewhere to store, i would tuck away for a few years and see what happens.

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 11:36 PM »
Take the cheap a$$ parts off it and ride it like ya stole it...  :coolsmiley:

2unfit2ride

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 06:56 AM »
Take the cheap a$$ parts off it and ride it like ya stole it...  :coolsmiley:

Which parts are cheap?, it all looks fairly low rent to me  ;D

May just keep it & see what happens, it can live in the loft, it ain't hurting anyone up there :-\

Cheers.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 09:22 AM »
Is it sealed in the box still or has it been taken out and built?

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 09:50 AM »
 :) Get rid,I really can`t see these becoming mega desirable anytime.Personally,I think there is too much of companies bringing out so-called "retro" or "collectable" bikes/frames these days.I know that some are trying,but I still believe that they all have some way to go.Just my humble opinion though....

2020mad

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Yes but with only a few not riden, broke up or modified theres always going to be some kid in 10 - 15 years time who saw it in his/her local bike shop and always wanted one, now they are earning and want to buy their dream bike.

look at all us for fooks sake, thats why we are all here  :LolLolLolLol:

dialledbikes

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 11:03 AM »
Yes but with only a few not riden, broke up or modified theres always going to be some kid in 10 - 15 years time who saw it in his/her local bike shop and always wanted one, now they are earning and want to buy their dream bike.

........ but I think today's kids all want brands like Redline, Crupi, Supercross, S&M and Standard, not Raleigh.  So if they do get into collecting in future, that's what they'll probably desire.

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 11:11 AM »
i see you didn't mention your bikes Mike, you never know could be collectable, you better start stashing them away  :LolLolLolLol:

As for the Raleigh get rid of it and put the money towards a really 80's F&F or bike plenty to choose from on here

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 11:24 AM »
I think a lot of people miss the point with what Raleigh wanted to do with the 25th TAP.  ;)

Nobody ever seems to knock other manufacturers that have done just the same thing but charged stupidly high prices.

dialledbikes

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 11:28 AM »
I just mentioned the bikes that I see most people racing/riding, Jai.  I've got a long way to go before I catch up with the ones I mentioned.

I guess my Ti cruiser frame will be collectable one day though (especially now I've had my pic in 2024 racing it at Burnham  :LolLolLolLol: ), and there is only one of them at the moment.  And the 2 prototype Ti frames with old school style gussets (Darren Flint has one, Jason Kenning has the other).

I guess it's hard to say what will be desirable in future though as it's as much about the emotions a bike evokes.  For me, Burners are Marmite bikes (only ever liked the ones Ruff and Schoff rode), but I do love the old SE Racing stuff.

2020mad

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 11:38 AM »

........ but I think today's kids all want brands like Redline, Crupi, Supercross, S&M and Standard, not Raleigh.  So if they do get into collecting in future, that's what they'll probably desire.
theres all ways somebody who will look at it lovingly as kid in the shop window.

2unfit2ride

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 04:52 PM »

To true, but as others have said, Raleigh have had there time, I think its best kept in the loft, you never know, one day I may have enough money for a divorce & then I can hang it on the wall in my new bachelor pad  ;)  :10_2_12: 

2unfit2ride

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 08:50 PM »
 :D Hi all, just a quick update for you all as I was searching for info on the burner & remembered this thread  :daumenhoch:

Well the other day one sold on ebay for £450, so I guess they are going up in value (slowly) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Team-Aero-Pro-Burner-25th-Anniversary-BMX-/270900530101?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3f12ee0bb5#ht_500wt_1076  :LolLolLolLol:

But the really big news is I'm going to get it down from the loft in a few months when the extension is finished & put it on the wall in my new office  ;D 8) ;D

I just thought I would share  :)

Cheers chaps.

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Great idea that  ;) wall art  ::) Hope its a strong wall tho  :2funny:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  "Collectors" bikes, should I keep this?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx