gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975499 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 06:12 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  comrade BMX Please help with any info on it
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: comrade BMX Please help with any info on it  (Read 13938 times)

bougls

comrade BMX Please help with any info on it
« on: September 02, 2008, 09:53 PM »
 :-[Hi I am new to this site but somebody on VZI said I should try you out.
I have a Comrade Bmx I am trying to find out some info on .But as yet no one seems to know anything about it.All I know is ive had it for about 15/20 yrs and it still looks brill.Any inf greatly recieved.
And hello to everybody Bougls

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:56 PM by bougls »

S1

Re: comrade BMX Please help with any info on it
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 10:21 PM »
Wow, never seen wheels like that before!!

What country does it originate from?

bougls

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 10:27 PM »
Hi thanks .They are pretty differant.It says comrade Made in Darlington British.Tried looking up on net but no joy .But would love to know more about it .I have never seen another like it.
Cheers Bougls :

S1

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:24 AM »
Hi thanks .They are pretty differant.It says comrade Made in Darlington British.Tried looking up on net but no joy .But would love to know more about it .I have never seen another like it.
Cheers Bougls :

I do remember one company in Darlington that used to make or import low-end bmx's with metal mag wheels. The name is etched into my brain cos they used to advertise in the sunday papers each week and when I was about 8 i really wanted one. Think they also came with 5 speed as well. Bloke round my way had one and i was glad i didnt get one cos they weighed a ton!
Tensor marketing
Yarm Road Industrial Estate
Darlington.

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 08:33 AM »
those wheels do look familar for some reason

did piranha have those on at all as well ?
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

vdubferret

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 08:45 AM »
Wow there's a new one on me too?!?

Those wheels are pretty special!

Someone on here will know WTF this is: we will be waiting to know!  :)

Paulo

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 08:52 AM »
those wheels do look familar for some reason

did piranha have those on at all as well ?

Piranha had mags as well for sure, but I don't think they were like those. A mate started out with one. They did weigh a ton though and the overall looks are similar. Might be the same manufacturer as piranha.

I've got the make of BH in my head. Don't know why. Maybe someone else on the street rode one. Or did BH make piranha's?

bougls

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:05 AM »
 :) :) :)
Just been out and looked at bike again.I got it wrong not darlington but Darlaston.
Also says       ALMO WORKS
                       DARLASTON
                        ENGLAND
Checked it out on net and found this out about the company.

GB Patent # GB678974   
Link to this page http://www.wikipatents.com/gb/678974.html
Inventor(s) not available
Abstract Abstract of GB678974 678,974. Tricycles; luggage carriers. COMRADE CYCLE CO., Ltd., and TAYLOR, J. May 1, 1951 [May 3, 1950], No. 10873/50. Classes 136(i) and 136(iii) A tricycle has a container 8 pivotally mounted on longitudinal bars 7 at the rear of the seat pillar tube so that it can be pivoted rearwardly into a tipping position. A U-shaped bar 9 is fixed to the bottom of the container 8 and has depending legs 10 pivoted on the bars 7 which are supported by mudguard carrier bars 2. Each bar 2 is fixed to a lug 6 on a bracket 5 which is carried by a crossbar 3 and which supports the rear axle 4. The centre of gravity of the container 8 is such that the back wall normally rests against the crossbar 3. The container is tipped by a hand lever 11 which is pivotally connected to the bars 2, 7 and to a link 12. The other end of the link 12 is pivoted to the end 10a of the leg 10. The link 12 has an intwined end 13 to limit the tipping position. 

I know this isnt relevant to the bmx ,But it would seem they were manufacturers/engineers.
might explain why not seen any others????

Cheers Bougls
And thanks for info so far  :coolsmiley:

S1

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:05 PM »
Piranha's had the curved vane type mag wheels, frikkin heavy  :laugh:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 01:23 PM »
 :) I remember those Tensor ads! "Why pay hundreds of pounds ?-we have The Genuine BMX for only £49.99."Special features included Track Tyres,coloured Rad Pads & BMX grips.Made me want to rush out and buy something else!

S1

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 07:46 PM »
:) I remember those Tensor ads! "Why pay hundreds of pounds ?-we have The Genuine BMX for only £49.99."Special features included Track Tyres,coloured Rad Pads & BMX grips.Made me want to rush out and buy something else!

They were my first exposure to BMX and I really wanted one but my 'rents refused to get me one. A local lad ended up with one and I realised then they were a bit crap lol. Ended up paying £12 for my first BMX, it was a POS but it got me on the ladder so to speak. Had a coaster brake which i hated so first mod was new wheels!

Offline bmxgirl

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Hi, its me soysauce from vzi, the bike is simmilar to the BH but the BH i have is a looptail and  its Spanish.

bougls

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 10:04 PM »
Hi Soysauce thanks for the reply but whats a BH and a looptail etc.Only bikes i really knew were from the 70s when I was growing up and then what I purchased the children etc.
Could you email or post some pics of yours please.Looks like I aint going to find out anything quick on mine (maybe its a one off   :)

Cheers Bougls

bougls

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 10:47 AM »
 :)
Ok I have been out and looked at the bike again (put my glasses on this time)
 ;)
Update.

It has an SR headstock

SR/CUSTOM_M Pedals MP-464 japan

Weinmann Gear levers and brakes etc

Brevettato Sadle

Stars Tyres Say LEO 57-406 on them

Frame no.84015 cant see a make

Does this help at all.

Cheers Bougls

Sean 2000

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 12:22 PM »
I remember those wheels, you could get them from Halfords along with Lester mags etc.
Cant help with the rest of the bike though i'm afraid.

Sean.

bougls

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 08:37 PM »

Offline bmxgirl

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 09:38 PM »
Heres my BH California Star which ive owned since around 1989 and it was second hand to me back then...Looptail is where the rear dropouts go round in a loop compared to on your bike they are 2 separate bits (i hope that makes sense i dont know how else to describe it) lol! The original tyres on this were also LEO's.

The mags are not the same as the Piranha which had steel wheels, but they are slightly simmilar to those on the Iron Horse as  the spokes on both the bikes are quite skinny.....

bougls

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 09:54 PM »
 :) :)
Thanks Soysauce,
                        The frame does look pretty similar.I have spent all day on bmx sites trying to find out more info.It seems like most of the parts are original maybe late 70s/80s.The company who made it were next door to holdsworth bikes.and made most of there own frames.But you would think that someone would recognise the wheels !! They are steel not plastic like most.
Somebody from Australia said it was similar to a raleigh??

Thanks again for the help Bougls

dal1

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 10:12 PM »
my first bmx was from halfords  :Great_Britain:and it was a bh california  mid blue with the yellow steel wheels heavy as fook .from what i remember the frame was stamped with the bh logo  in 2-3 places .so if this was bh you would know quiet easy.cannot remember that many other companys that did steel wheels  at that time though.

bougls

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 10:22 PM »
 :Great_Britain:
Cheers Dal1 but no signs of anything else on the frame.Will check again tomorrow though.Were your wheels like mine or just straight ?And do you remember if it had SR parts etc
Cheers Bougls :)

Offline bmxgirl

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 08:07 PM »
Dal1 - did your BH look like this one , a California Trax? I saw a guy with this one at Bug Jam this year. Was the first time ive ever seen anothe BH in the flesh!! The mags were Lesters....

Offline bmxgirl

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 04:58 PM »
OMG! I just saw a kid outside Gravesend MacDonalds on a California Star :shocked: Had to look twice it was identical to mine!!

dal1

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 10:01 PM »
thats the one right there.o my god that brings back momeries :D mine had a different seat and crank but its still the same.

etriedes

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 11:30 PM »
I remember the wheels ... was a low end bike and only ever seen it forsale at petrol stations or garden centeres local to us .. If it was made in darlaston thats just down the road from where i live

Offline Champ

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Let's see if anyone picks up this reply?
Comrade is a Tensor manufactured bike, I have an original red frame and forks. They were made in the Alma Works in Darlington, UK. Believe it or not the headset badge that says 'Darlston' was created so no one would track them back to the manufacturer easily. The bike parts were mainly bought in from Germany and finished and assembled in Darlington before being sold as budget BMXs.
I can't find any reference or spec info on this bike on the web other than this feed which means they're extremely rare. However I'm keen see if anyone has a full spec....although I doubt it.

I am also building a chrome Tensor Turbo 1982. Different frame but think they both use the alloy 'brilliant' brakes and levers.

If anyone has any info or pictures I'd be keen to hear  from them.🤞

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  comrade BMX Please help with any info on it

gfxgfx
gfx gfx