gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 03:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Has anyone got any pics of bitd of Shoreham By Sea track?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Has anyone got any pics of bitd of Shoreham By Sea track?  (Read 41596 times)

Paulo

Has anyone got any pics of bitd of Shoreham By Sea track?
« on: September 08, 2008, 03:29 PM »

I used to race at this track. It was a great venue, but I've not got any pics of any of the race meets.

Has anyone got any?

mr.magoo

Re: Has anyone got any pics of bitd of Shoreham By Sea track?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 03:36 PM »
Adur aces, have a few pics from a regional i  about 84/85? Not very good quality, but all piccies are back in loft now, next time i'm up there i'll dig em out, only person i remember from that way was Neil Rowffey or was it Adam?, really tall guy, think he had a quad then i think he got a candy apple red sling shot?

did you know him?

mr.magoo

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:26 PM »
Paulo, i've just missed my afternoon nap now, but couldn't let a radster down, just scanned my, currently downloading to photobucket, will put up a new thread when i've collected the kids from child minder, don't hold yer breath they aint great, bt its what you wanted ;)

Paulo

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 04:44 PM »

Fab. Thanks for the effort. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

I raced in 82-83, in the 13-14 yos. Tim Belcher and I travelled down for each meeting from Croydon. Probably too early for Neil, but having said that, my memory is rusty, hence it'll be good to see the pics to jog the old grey matter.

I think my Dad may have some pics but he's in Reading and I'm in Glasgow, so I can't just pop in to find them.  :'(

Anyone else got some memories?

mr.magoo

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 04:57 PM »
I have one photo from 83 rest are 85 i think, neil came on the scene late 85, just before i gave up, but i'm sure there is a couple of lads in the photos that would have been about in your day. Think you must have been 1 year older than me, i was same age group as Wayne Llewellyn. Any way, just composing the new thread, so keep an eye in next 5 mins.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 05:58 PM »
The Mrs seems to remember it too, was it on the side of a hill? If so she raced there about 87 :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

mr.magoo

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Kinda, you go down a really long steep road, but the track is on a plain, just in shore of the beach, hence all the stones in the tracks surface, and when it was windy it was a mare, cos apart from the first two straights it was up hill. In my pics thread, the small doubles i am jumping was virtually impossible, as they were just before the finish line and you'd be even more out of breath than we get these days, and by then you werent carrying a lot of speed. The club was Adur aces, i think the track was pretty much next to shoreham airfield/airport too. Ring any bells Mrs Ratty?

Paulo

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 07:28 PM »

That's right. It was by the bridge with the airport on the other side. Yes the track was hard work. The first two straights were down hill, into a 180 that took all your momentum out of your ride into a huge step up, which made the last 3 straights a slog. And those doubles on the last straight. Very few had the energy to jump them in a race.

Wayne and his brother Gary didn't race at the track in my day, as they were just coming to the fore. They actually lived a few doors down from my Nan's in Penge, and they were friendly neighbours so we always had updates when we visited.

Here's an ariel shot of the track as it is today

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=shoreham+by+sea&countryCode=GB#map=50.83286,-0.2853|20|256&be=4351110|North&loc=GB:50.83626:-0.27957:14|shoreham%20by%20sea|Shoreham-by-Sea,%20West%20Sussex,%20England,%20BN43%205

mr.magoo

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 07:34 PM »
Did you check the pics?

How cool would that have been to have grown up in that part of London, to have regular competition to keep you on your toes?
Perhaps i wouldn't have given up when i hit 16....doh

Yeah forgot about that step up, but as for the doubles, i was one of those kids that if there was any possibility it could be jumped then it would be.

Cool memories coming back, nice one.

wolfybmx

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 07:36 PM »

here's a pic of me in the fox factor (mt racing) kit with chris peal (haro race pants) waiting in the pens before a moto

and here's a pic of me leading through the first corner at the shoreham track..oh and it was more of a track by a river estuary not the sea
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:40 PM by wolfy@tibbscyclestore »

Paulo

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 07:47 PM »

What year was that Wolfy?

Any idea when the club folded?

My memories were of the loads of people who turned up at the meetings. Sometimes when it had been frosty overnight, they delayed the start whilst the track thawed. They let a few riders on the track to break the frost up.

The step up was about 6 ft high. It was like a wall.

Fiolas Lovechild

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 07:55 PM »
Myself and Adurace twas our home track from 81 to 85 many a happy day spent on that windy little track by the river, great days! Where abouts are you based Paulo were in worthing?

Paulo

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 08:34 PM »
I'm now in Glasgow but lived in Coulsdon bitd. It was pretty much our nearest track although Surbiton was also 'local'. We never tried Surbiton though. Don't know why.

It was because we had to travel so far to Shoreham that I stopped racing. Also freestyle was making a name for itself. Of yes...the fact I was cr@p might have had something to do with it.  :LolLolLolLol:

Do you still go to the track? It looks overgrown?

I don't remember the cart track? next to it though, but it appears Mr magoos pics.

mr.magoo

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 08:39 PM »
Little track was remote contrl cars racing.

Surbiton, only "raced" there once. Had a majorly heavy face plant in the first berm after overshooting the doubles at the end of the first straight, got checked out by first aiders, lined up on gate for 2nd moto, gate dropped.....i just stood there didn't even know who i was, where i was, or what i was even supposed to be doing. Took three weeks for the internal and external swelling to go down!

Other than that it was a nice track...but has taken its toll on me, puts me off jumping anything into a first corner..i even get the jitters at Hersden for the first 1/2 hours!

oldmankev

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 09:24 AM »
Only went to this track once even though it was only down the coast from
Portsmouth, and i didnt even get to practice because of an almighty hail
storm, they were the size of golf balls i remember putting my lid on to
protect my head anyway the meet was cancelled as track was turned
into a mud bath, anyone else remember this particular meet?

mr.magoo

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 03:01 PM »
Paulo, just posted race results from the day of the pictures, Tim Belcher in the age group below me.

wolfybmx

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 03:37 PM »

hey kev must have been there on that day left dents in the roofs of cars they were that big :)

xtremepervert

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 01:34 PM »
My best memory was the club offering anyone who jumped the big camel which was built in I think 1987, 50 quid. Kevin Carlin did it in the interval to claim the money, but I don't think anyone ever jumped it in a race.

My last race there was in 1988, i think the club folded that year.

Yeah I remember Neil Roffey in your class Magoo, he had a mate called Tony Pickford who rode a Patterson, also in your class.

mr.magoo

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 08:25 PM »
Shame they didn't have that about when i was still recing, could've given up my paper-round for a couple of weeks....Kevin Carling, got loads of pics with Kev, another Fan whose house i spent a summer at, and his dad took us up north racing during that summer, Northerners didn't know what hit 'em.

Tony Pickford, plenty of pics of him too, collecting 2nd and 3rd place trophies, ginger hair, wore a ghp racing top.

SEARLE

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 08:36 PM »
YES.I WAS RACING THAT DAY.REMEMBER THEM HITTING THE TOP OF MY DADS VAN!! MARK SEARLE GREEN AND YELLOW BANDITO UNIFORM.REMEMBER ME??

Fiolas Lovechild

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 08:52 PM »
YES.I WAS RACING THAT DAY.REMEMBER THEM HITTING THE TOP OF MY DADS VAN!! MARK SEARLE GREEN AND YELLOW BANDITO UNIFORM.REMEMBER ME??
[/quote]

Mark how you doin mate , heard you been cruisering it up with Adur Ace hows your legs?, Russ  here what happened to the Bandito rare as rocking horse mate , do you still speak to John Gammons does he still have any bikes.......Gammons Bike Shop , Shoreham many a kids dream came true at that shop......

xtremepervert

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 02:12 PM »
Hi Mark,

Howdy doody I was in your age group so it's about time you sorted yourself out a cruiser & joined us in 40+. Darren Vickers said you were at a race at Hayes last year, so I thought you would have got the bug back by now! ;D

SEARLE

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 07:08 PM »
Hi Mark,

Howdy doody I was in your age group so it's about time you sorted yourself out a cruiser & joined us in 40+. Darren Vickers said you were at a race at Hayes last year, so I thought you would have got the bug back by now! ;D
hi,whats your full name?? looking forward to racing again....at 40!!!!!!!!!

SEARLE

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 07:11 PM »

Mark how you doin mate , heard you been cruisering it up with Adur Ace hows your legs?, Russ  here what happened to the Bandito rare as rocking horse mate , do you still speak to John Gammons does he still have any bikes.......Gammons Bike Shop , Shoreham many a kids dream came true at that shop......
[/quote]hi russ.bought a haro 24" went to gosport with darren for a practice.bloody legs ache!!!!!!! was going to call u about hersden...not sure if u were going.me and daz might go bexhill this sunday????????

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 08:39 PM »
Gammons eh?
I heard the old boy set up Adur Aces to help sell BMX gear from his shop

The shop closed about 4 years ago, i met john who showed me the upstairs of the shop that needed clearing out. It was stacked full of NOS gear   :shocked:, I got my hands on the lot :), about 2 garages full - my Bandito pro and mini and CW Cruiser which i've kept came from there along with a KZ1, nos Ultra Burner, Nos trident, nos nishiki's, boxes of DX's, z-rims, tuffs, pads, Bin liners full of pads and race gear, boxes of stickers (kept these :)), all the gear i take to MK each year is from this shop, all the good stuff now sold

I've got a few  Adur Aces bar pads that i've kept  :daumenhoch: nice design with the ace logo.

The shoreham track now is more trails jumps now which i ride every now and then, a bit like dartford heath jumps, nice to see those old pics :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Has anyone got any pics of bitd of Shoreham By Sea track?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx