gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 06:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Harry Leary Turbo
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Harry Leary Turbo  (Read 6924 times)

FuNMoNsTeR

Harry Leary Turbo
« on: January 17, 2006, 12:10 PM »
Well the Turbo FINALLY turned up.... :) I had to pay £142 Import taxes and VAT on a $500 bike  :wtf:
 Unfortunately everything(and i mean everything) on it is seized solid... nothing spins or moves not even the pedals :-\  The guy described it as " only needs TLC to get it back in top shape" Lmao.
  I am having trouble with the cranks and pedals and would like some advice on how best to remove them without damaging either. The problem with removing the cranks is that i cant get access to either spindle nut as the caps are oxidised in there.
  Here are some piccys. Do you think the wheels are salvageable :LolLolLolLol:

theRuler

Re: Harry Leary Turbo
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 12:15 PM »
lol nice "sea bed" turbo!!!

you could drill off the end caps, then get a puller on the arms maybe?
them wheels would clean up

did you buy it off the little mermaid?

i think the crustation rear sprocket may be past it's best though mate

Offline Peanut

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 12:32 PM »
Hubs and rims look salvageable, forget the spokes they've way gone as with the sprocket. Looks like you'll have to drill the endcaps but you could try cutting a slot in them then put something in the slot and use something to turn them with plenty of leverage, not very helpful I know.

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 12:39 PM »
My workshop uses Wurth "High Performance Rust Dissolver" to unsieze rusty fixings, etc

It's quite expensive stuff but it's never failed us yet . . . even on the early cars we take on for repair

Good luck  ;)

Steve

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 12:40 PM »
Tap a hole in the end cap and then put a screw driver into it and lever it off.

Then take the pedals to bits and let the arm and the pedal spindle soad in Derv for a day or so.

Then put the pesal spindle in a vice and use the crank arm as a lever.

I see nothing there that looks like a problem.

Good luck
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 12:43 PM by ORB »

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 12:59 PM »
wey hey it turned up then , you got ya turbo buddy , bit by bit you will get it looking proper , eventally get some stickers off radman and bobs your aunties brothers sister  , well done  ;)

theRuler

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 01:20 PM »
the great thing about it being so battered, is how good it will look when it's done
get plenty of "before" pics!

gmac

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 01:21 PM »
the great thing about it being so battered, is how good it will look when it's done
get plenty of "before" pics!

I was gonna say that. Beat me too it  ;)

theRuler

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 01:24 PM »
got any pics of it complete?

simon abbott

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 01:42 PM »
I sooo wanted the turbo back in the good old days although i still have fond memories of my silverstreak.
Good luck im sure it will look the nuts when its complete.
Would luv to do the same but is that really the kind of money u av to pay for the HL and does anyone know what the going rate for a silverstreak is (to restore, not restored!)

:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guy..... I will get them off. ::) As well as this turbo...I already have a Turbo Frame and Forks which has been recoated and is just waiting for decals... Mr Radman is keeping it warm for me ;) I have chrome arayas, a turbo stem, Nos turbo chainring, chrome 890 brakeset and lookielike HL bars for that one.
Guess what else just turned up after 8 weeks........ MY STREAK  ;D
Can you believe they both show up on the same day..... The streak will come up nearly mint when i have finished cleaning it... all original too.. The grips are real oakley 3s ;)
  Some pictures of The Turbo.... The Streak and my Vector which is covered in paw prints and is waiting for its bars and forks to arrive.

TURBO

STREAK

VECTOR MARK II

« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 02:19 PM by FuNMoNsTeR »

theRuler

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 02:34 PM »
boo-tay

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 02:46 PM »
Would luv to do the same but is that really the kind of money u av to pay for the HL and does anyone know what the going rate for a silverstreak is (to restore, not restored!)

Harry Leary Turbos are expensive and so are the bits.... for a complete finished large gusset one you are probably looking at £1500 i think or thereabouts. A later small gusset Factory Grey Turbo is on Ebay at the moment for £700(bargain). Silver Streak bits you can pick up relatively cheap keep your eyes peeled... This Streak will be up for sale when its done  :)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 03:21 PM »
was that turbo from the good ole us of a.
i thought it never rained over there  ???.
dave the bmxing gypo

theRuler

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 03:23 PM »
was that turbo from the good ole us of a.
i thought it never rained over there  ???.

he got it from new orleans

simon abbott

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 03:25 PM »
tanx funmonster bit skint at mo but ill be looking seriously soon as the pastas coming in again.
 ::) ::) ::)

sam hudson

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 04:54 PM »
Two of my fave bikes in the world there...lucky man.The streak is in great shape...i would love mine back.I always DREAMED of a HL turbo....it will be expensive but it is a SWEET bike when done...really superb.
I dont envy you fixing it up tho...it looks like a patience job to me...lots of it.
How much for the streak??? ;)
Well done and good luck

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 06:18 PM »
For those crank bolts , pedals etc maybe start with the norm WD etc then try Coca Cola , bloody good in my experience.

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 06:20 PM »
great news that you received it mate....those wheels though, bloody hell, did he get a submarine to get them from the titanic....its will all come good tho fella...elbow grease and pound notes tend to work.

Dave
haro, how do you do

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 07:16 PM »
Harry Leary Turbos are expensive and so are the bits.... for a complete finished large gusset one you are probably looking at £1500 i think or thereabouts. A later small gusset Factory Grey Turbo is on Ebay at the moment for £700(bargain). Silver Streak bits you can pick up relatively cheap keep your eyes peeled... This Streak will be up for sale when its done  :)

i didnt realise a bigger gusset meant earlier, ive got a big gusset with a serial no  3X0004 then the baseball sign can anyone shed any light on what this means, its getting there still a few things im not happy with , its completely original F+F , got bars painted and replaced a few tatty bits and bits that were needed (turbo stem etc...) , heres my little DB line up that i set out to do and im pretty chuffed albeit there are original and not show condition , i like em that way
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 08:18 PM by billstup »

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 08:05 PM »
welcome to the turbo club  :daumenhoch: i was given mine by a guy who comes around to do our decals at work he said he had an old bmx given to him but didnt want it,couldnt beleive my luck when he dropped it off ,a leary not complete but slowly getting the bits together......cant complain it was free :)
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2006, 08:23 PM »
bob haro would still kick learys ass in a stand up fight

Dave
haro, how do you do

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 08:54 PM »
bob haro would still kick learys ass in a stand up fight

Dave

YEH RIGHT DAVE HARO STAYED IN AT NIGHT TO MAKE NO PLATES FOR HARRY,S BIKE  BECAUSE HE WORSHIPPED HIM.      DANNY

Jazzchimp

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 09:51 PM »
What a result Fun, can't wait to see them finished. Just remember the crank is a left hand thread!! Done that one before!! LOL!!

Tax hurts though don't it?!?!

scary_leary

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 10:19 PM »
They are special and expensive as the parts were not available over the counter.

Mines nearly done, but I wont rush it as this is the resto ive always wanted to build.
Bit are costly..ie the seat, only known one nos seat..
went for hundreds and hundreds, so you want the next best thing a suede kashi fivegold.
and they go for around £130..it’s a slow but worth while bike to build properly.
Good luck

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Harry Leary Turbo

gfxgfx
gfx gfx