gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 07:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  stem help, new school
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: stem help, new school  (Read 747 times)

weston

stem help, new school
« on: January 20, 2006, 07:27 PM »
anyone heard of the hollow stem bolt snapping before? my mate has just told me that he has tightened the bolt on his new bike & its snapped, can anyone explain how these work & if you can buy new ones? this saves me time taking my bike apart to see how it works

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: stem help, new school
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 09:29 PM »
A hollow stem bolt on a conventional old fashioned stem you mean,  not a clamp on stylee?

weston

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 10:13 PM »
its a new haro dave mirra 1.1/8 threadless

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 11:05 PM »
ok.  well, that centre bolt is only really for adjusting the headset... the two allen bolts in the stem are there to hold everything together, so it should never really be tightened that much.

Your mate should be able to get the top of the bolt our by simply unscrewing it, release the forks by undoing the clamp allen bolts then attacking the remaining broken bit in the steerer tube by whatever means available, it shouldn't be in any way tight with the top part off...

Does that help?

This is the first one i've heard of snapping, by the way   :)

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 08:02 AM »
Bob its the second one I have heard of, Andy did this too (muppet) I just used a pair of needle nose pliers to unscrew what was left in there and then he bought a new one, no drama
 :) DINGO :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  stem help, new school

gfxgfx
gfx gfx