gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 06:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Faze 7
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Faze 7  (Read 13342 times)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Faze 7
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:55 PM »
Who remembers what about them, I think it was run by a guy called Joe Burlo???

And im sure he had a shop in Waltham Abbey, Tony Slater rode for him I think. Anyone else remember anything about them??
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Frosty

Re: Faze 7
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 04:38 PM »
Tony,

The owner of a local road race shop was an importer and exporter to Faze 7.

Patrick Schills (I think his name is), I keep pestering him if he knows of a stash of any os bmx stuff, he has plenty of os race gear!!

he mentioned that he used to take Vincent f&f gear back to Belgium!

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:55 PM »
remember me dad driving me up there to get my Hutch Pro Racer f&f.one thing i do recall is that the M25 back then was incomplete,we drove on  the small part of it that was done in the immediate area.rough guess 1983/84.

jedi

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:58 PM »
i grew up in enfield.loved going there

dialledbikes

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 09:15 PM »
I remember Slater the Gater riding for Faze 7 Redline.

kdubbmx

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 07:48 AM »
I worked there right after i got back from racing  the summer of 83 in the US.

Tony (Slater) worked out back building up the custom build bikes that Faze 7 did so well out of.

Saw (maltese) Joe a few years ago & he hadnt changed a bit.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:51 AM by kdubbmx »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 04:02 PM »
Tony,

The owner of a local road race shop was an importer and exporter to Faze 7.

Patrick Schills (I think his name is), I keep pestering him if he knows of a stash of any os bmx stuff, he has plenty of os race gear!!

he mentioned that he used to take Vincent f&f gear back to Belgium!

Hey, I used to know Patrick way back in the day, he used to race with my old sponsor Steve Heffernan of Heffs Bike Shop and was a supplier of his.  Don't think he has too much os stuff these dys bit you never know  ;)

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 11:39 PM »
I worked there right after i got back from racing  the summer of 83 in the US.

Tony (Slater) worked out back building up the custom build bikes that Faze 7 did so well out of.

Saw (maltese) Joe a few years ago & he hadnt changed a bit.

I was gonna say Keith worked there  ;) .

Bought my first proper race bike ( GT Pro Nora Cup ) from Joe , one of the custom builds Kdub mentioned  :) . I did'nt do too bad at racing & Joe used to help quite a bit with deals on parts etc , a good guy all round .

Couple of pics of the Faze 7 bike in different guises ............................................

Early pic at Bleak Hall MK ( 82/83 ) .

Slightly later at P'boro .

mark 2

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 11:48 PM »
Faze 7's still around but as a skateboard distributor now and got their own skate brand called Blueprint that's globally successful

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 11:52 PM »
Faze 7's still around but as a skateboard distributor now and got their own skate brand called Blueprint that's globally successful

Run by Joe & his son I think  ;)

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 11:55 PM »
Another Faze 7 purchase , blingy custom build for my mate bitd . I now have it to resto  ;)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 12:05 AM »
Jess Dyrenforth is in London at the moment too :

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=576143857&ref=mf
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

kdubbmx

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 12:07 AM »
I think the company 'fuct' was something to do with Joe as well?

greentoad

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Hi all.

Faze 7 also had a shop in Melbourn (Cambs) about 84? I don't think it did very well though, as there were a few shops in Cambridge.

There was also Sigma in Royston (the owner of Sigma used to run the site that Faze 7 took over).

And there was also Custom Riders in Hitchin.

I think I only ever went in the Melbourn shop a few times.

J.

se

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 08:55 PM »
Joe started Blueprint in about 1994 I think, it was called Panic before that. I used to know Matt Pritchard who is now doing Dirty Sanchez and he rode for them.

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 10:00 PM »
The first time I met Joe, was when I went to his house in Putney Rd, Enfield, to buy skateboard wheels. This was in the late '70s before he had a shop. He used to sell stuff from home in those days.

He then opened a shop in Waltham Cross, and I seem to remember it being up stairs from a small entrance.

Later he moved to the bigger shop (also in Waltham Cross), with offices up stairs where he ran his importing and distribution side of the business.

Last time I saw him was after he'd closed the shop and moved to a big house in Halstead near Braintree.

He's a great guy, who always helped us with sponsorship (bikes, parts, clothing) and setting us up with some of the bigger trick show venues we performed at.

I've got one of his old photo albums (he was a good photographer too), and I've put some photos from it here, and I've also started another post in old school race of some shots from a Herne Bay national in '84. Have a look and see if you know any of the racers....

Joe and long term assistant & friend Kev at South Sea KOS 86/87

The Shop in '84

The Faze 7 Riders

Tony Slater

Jess Darrenforth

The Trick team (L to R) Martin, Gary, Kris, Ade, Dave

Darren Robinson

Anyone else remember anything ?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 05:18 AM by Faze7-Ade »

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 10:57 PM »
Hi Ade ,

Great pics  :4_17_5:

You guys did a demo at a fete kinda thing in my home town ( Buckingham ) bitd . I organised it with Joe for you guys to come along etc , I've got some pics which I'll try and find  :daumenhoch: .

Couple of other Faze 7 titbits .

Logo on race shirt .

Faze 7 patch .

Wearing a Faze 7 race shirt , walking across the infield at Derby Stadium after crashing in the final at the 1984 British Championships ( note walking past trophies ! )  ::) :'( .

64 SPLITVAN

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 04:19 AM »
I GOT MY KUWI FROM THERE
LAST TIME I WENT THERE WAS 87 WITH A FRIEND OF MINE THAT WAS INTO SKATEBOARDING ALL THE BIKES HAD GONE SAD DAY :'(
IF I REMEMBER RIGHT I THINK MASON PALMER FROM CUSTOM RIDERS WAS GIVEN HIS HARO BY SIR BOB THERE :)

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 05:37 AM »
Hi Ade ,

You guys did a demo at a fete kinda thing in my home town ( Buckingham ) bitd . I organised it with Joe for you guys to come along etc , I've got some pics which I'll try and find  :daumenhoch: .

Yea - I remember our demo in Buckingham. Would  have been around '84 too.

Be good to see your pics of that show.

Nice Vector jersey with the Faze 7 logo - did you get Joe to put it on for you ?

Faze7-Dave

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 06:22 PM »
I have still got my old race Haro race pants, shirt and Helmet from the days when we used to do the demos. Great days. Anyone see us with the Bedford Fall Guys. They were a stunt team that used to drive cars on 2 wheels and stuff. We used to jump cars on those shows, normally my Dads MG Metro at the end. Some old brown Fiesta also, is right Ade??????

I would love to see some old photos from spectators from the shows.   All this old stuff is bringing back some great memories.

Good work fellas

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Hi Ade ,

Yea - I remember our demo in Buckingham. Would  have been around '84 too.

Be good to see your pics of that show.

Nice Vector jersey with the Faze 7 logo - did you get Joe to put it on for you ?

I'll have a good search for the Buckingham demo pics , fook knows where they are !  :LolLolLolLol: .

The Faze 7 logo , Joe may have put it on or it was a kinda iron on thing put on by the olds maybe ? .

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 10:45 AM »
I have still got my old race Haro race pants, shirt and Helmet from the days when we used to do the demos. Great days. Anyone see us with the Bedford Fall Guys. They were a stunt team that used to drive cars on 2 wheels and stuff. We used to jump cars on those shows, normally my Dads MG Metro at the end. Some old brown Fiesta also, is right Ade??????

I would love to see some old photos from spectators from the shows.   All this old stuff is bringing back some great memories.

Good work fellas

Welcome to RADBMX Dave  :daumenhoch: .

I found a couple of other pics last night but ideally need a scanner  ::) ( might try digi camera first ) .
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:47 AM by Mattdub »

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 05:41 AM »
I guess this isn't really old school race, so I have another thread going in old school freestyle, where the action shots of the trick team have been loaded.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=71717.0

I'll put more on there as I find them, hope you enjoy them too.....

kdubbmx

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 12:20 AM »
Joe worked in the local dole office even when Faze 7 was fully established & i was working there, he did indeed start out selling stuff from 57 Putney rd Enfield, then i joined him when he was upstairs in a condemmed building in Eleanor Cross rd right by the swans over the road (are they still there?)

Things got realy busy & we moved to the shop in the high st in the photo.

Joe's speciality was the 'custom build' bikes he sold at £199 (or was it £299?) where you had a choice of frames that were top end frames usually only available as frame only & a choice of different components.

Memorable customers for me were Jasper Conran buying Hutch & Keith Ripp (ripspeed) buying a quadangle for his son.

It was way into our time at the new shop that Joe finally decided to leave his job at the dole office & work full time at the shop!

Went to many races around the country in Joes battered old orange vw van with Tony & Les Slater & all the stock for selling at races, the side door didnt close properly & let draughts in & Tony complained constantly that this gave him ear infections!!

I have a lot to thank Les for he must have driven me to hundreds of races & would happily drop everyone home after driving for hours & also doing the gate all weekend!!   :4_17_5:

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 07:20 AM »
Joe worked in the local dole office even when Faze 7 was fully established & i was working there, he did indeed start out selling stuff from 57 Putney rd Enfield, then i joined him when he was upstairs in a condemmed building in Eleanor Cross rd right by the swans over the road (are they still there?)

Things got realy busy & we moved to the shop in the high st in the photo.

Joe's speciality was the 'custom build' bikes he sold at £199 (or was it £299?) where you had a choice of frames that were top end frames usually only available as frame only & a choice of different components.

Memorable customers for me were Jasper Conran buying Hutch & Keith Ripp (ripspeed) buying a quadangle for his son.

It was way into our time at the new shop that Joe finally decided to leave his job at the dole office & work full time at the shop!

I never really knew what he did for a job, all I remember was something which didn't fit with his love of skateboarding. And I wasn't definate on the house number but 57 rings true. I remember the 1st time I went there - I thought I'd made a mistake, because his ad in the magazine didn't say it was a house, and I was expecting a shop ! Took me ages to get my bottle up to go and knock on the door.

Thanks for filling that in Keith.

There are some photos of the £299 bikes in Joe's photo album too, if anyone is interested in seeing them ?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Faze 7

gfxgfx
gfx gfx