gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 30, 2024, 11:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Our own private ramp!!!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Our own private ramp!!!!!  (Read 2230 times)

southend_styler

Our own private ramp!!!!!
« on: December 02, 2008, 07:55 AM »
Me and Bmxbert were talking at work yesterday, about the feasibility of renting a warehouse space and building an indoor ramp just for us and mates. Surely, in theory, as long as it's just for personal use, you bypass all that Public Liability stuff?

We looked into prices and a suitable space was about £5,000 PA. And if you get a few people in on it, thats pennies!!!

We know a couple of people who have experience in building ramps, so that wouldn't be a problem.

What i'm asking, i guess, has anyone ever done anything like this or know of anyone that has? If so, is it feasible or just a fantasy???

:coolsmiley:

JT71

Re: Our own private ramp!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:16 AM »
I think twobobrob is part owner of the Charlton set up...sure he'll be along soon to advise.

he also used to build ramps for a living, and he's a good guy, so talk to the man.  :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 08:19 AM »
if you have ten riders at £5k a year that's only £40 a month, plus the cost of the ramp it's self plus lighting/any other costs, like taxes etc, not sure what you have to pay, like rates and stuff.

I reckon it is feasible, however it's not just rent and the cost of the ramp, there's going to be much more I'm sure.

southend_styler

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 08:25 AM »
Yeah, we was talking about all that as well. But we've got no clue what sort of figure we're gonna be looking at for the materials. Labour won't be a problem as we'll just offer in on it to anyone who helps.  :coolsmiley:

The thing i thought that might be a problem was whether the estate agents/landlords would have a load of blokes chucking themselves around their property???

JT71

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:27 AM »
Yeah, we was talking about all that as well. But we've got no clue what sort of figure we're gonna be looking at for the materials. Labour won't be a problem as we'll just offer in on it to anyone who helps.  :coolsmiley:

The thing i thought that might be a problem was whether the estate agents/landlords would have a load of blokes chucking themselves around their property???

don't tell em, and in this "Current Economic Climate" are they going to care?  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

they just want rent in.

JT71

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 08:27 AM »
how ever let's wait for some experienced views on this because I'm just guessing and making somewhat flippant remarks.

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Rob will have the full low down on this I'm sure.

southend_styler

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 08:32 AM »
We thought about just telling them we wanted to use it to "store" a ramp  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Bushwacked

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 08:33 AM »
Everytime I go past a unit for rent I think something similar so I'd be interested to see how this develops...

B

Midlife!

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Watching this with interest  :)

Start saving for a Coventry project if it works out hey Joe!

virtualmeuk

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 08:45 AM »
My limited knowledge of cost would be:-

Rent
Rates
Buildings Insurance
Electrics
Water

And dont forget you will probably have to pay VAT if you are doing it personally unless you can run it through a company.

Then i would imagine you will have to get approval from the landlords. And a sh1t load of keys for everyone who is chipping in. Unless your landlords retrict you to 2 or 3 'keyholders'. Apart from that i dont se it being a problem and as long as its near to all those wanting to chip in it would be cool as. If its local to me count me in. Me and JT have been trying to think of a way of doing it ourselves.

southend_styler

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 09:06 AM »
Well i can't see any reason why this can't be a possibility. I'm going to have a chat with Berts accountant tonight when i tattoo him and see what he thinks on the financial side of things. And then it's just a case of finding a suitable place and getting started i spose. I've already had a chat with a mate of mine who's a chippy and a skater, so thats one of the builders sorted. And he said he can source some plans and get a quote on the materials.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 09:19 AM »
when we had the barn it was fooking hard work, rent was only £100 a month, but, the ply was over a grand that we got cheap from interact as they owed us a favour. the remainder of the wood came from a house a mate was demolishing, screws and nails was over £500 alone.we had to buy a generator and lighting as there was non on site, it took best part of 6 months to build and that was with a chippy building. i really fancy another one but the rent is gonna be roughly £500 a month then its gotta be built. the main problem is getting roughly 10 riders together to chip in all the time.

southend_styler

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 09:22 AM »
Getting the people together to chip in shouldn't be a problem. We only spoke about it yesterday and already we have about 5 people who definately want in. The initial layout for materials i think is going to be the stumbling block.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 09:24 AM »
Getting the people together to chip in shouldn't be a problem. We only spoke about it yesterday and already we have about 5 people who definately want in. The initial layout for materials i think is going to be the stumbling block.

we started out with 10 people, ended up with 3 at the end of the build

southend_styler

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 09:25 AM »

:shocked:

Maybe we'll take a couple of months money in advance, that way we won't have to worry about it too much.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 09:26 AM »

:shocked:

deffo the best way, what size building are you looking at ?

Maybe we'll take a couple of months money in advance, that way we won't have to worry about it too much.

southend_styler

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 09:28 AM »
Haven't really decided on size yet. Bmxbert needs to get in here to make this bit clearer, it's his brain child!!   8)

evamedia

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 09:30 AM »
I know someone who's looking to do this now, and rates work out far in excess of the rent.

southend_styler

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 09:32 AM »
Yea, i did kind of expect that. But when the rent's only £5,000 PA and split between a few people, it still won't be impossible. ;)

Timmeh

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 10:40 AM »
Just go for it and build a full-on business....set aside 'RADDERS EVENINGS' for site members...

Doesn't The Works in Leeds offer 'group nights' or am I thinking of the group lessons they do?

JT71

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 10:42 AM »
Just go for it and build a full-on business....set aside 'RADDERS EVENINGS' for site members...

Doesn't The Works in Leeds offer 'group nights' or am I thinking of the group lessons they do?

think its really hard to make a skate park pay as a business, i think the insurance is sky high and kills it from the beginning.

southend_styler

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 10:47 AM »
There's not really a plan to make this a business. It's going to be purely for personal use. Just so we know we've got somewhere we can go whenever we like, whatever the weather. I had a chat with someone yesterday and he said he looked in to opening a park a few years back and the Public Liability Insurance was in excess of £150,000!!!!!!!!!  :shocked:

Bushwacked

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 11:34 AM »
I know local companies sponsor parks - like Corus sponsoring Corby...

I've often thought my area (Cheltenham) could do with something indoor (Good transport links, nothing nearby that is all weather, etc) and as we have two massive Insurance companies (Zurich and Ensleigh) here they could sponsor it and provide cheap liability insurance in exchange for their name being plastered everywhere!!!

JT71

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 11:36 AM »
I know local companies sponsor parks - like Corus sponsoring Corby...

I've often thought my area (Cheltenham) could do with something indoor (Good transport links, nothing nearby that is all weather, etc) and as we have two massive Insurance companies (Zurich and Ensleigh) here they could sponsor it and provide cheap liability insurance in exchange for their name being plastered everywhere!!!

then they could release a DVD about a road trip to Europe, but also featuring their park in Cheltenham, called Zurich does Zurich.

reay900tap

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 04:52 PM »
This is a great Idea :daumenhoch:, myself & subversion were chatting along the same lines the other day, TBH I can't see creation (our nearest indoor park) lasting more than another year, they just never seem to be busy anymore, the owners themselfs have said the climbing wall doubles (on a bad week!) what the skatepark makes.. :'(

so I think.. that this, is going to be a common thing with little 'private parks' popping up here and there..

hey Joe (JT71),
                       was in Kens truck stop the other day, sized up the joint, asked about rent etc, now that would make a great indoor park!! very exspensive tho..
but I'm sure that when the truck stop is fully gone along with (maybe ::)) central blast and powerpark auto's the rent will fall quickly

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Our own private ramp!!!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx