gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 12:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch Frames
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hutch Frames  (Read 9874 times)

martylaa

Hutch Frames
« on: February 10, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Ok i've read some stuff about Hutch's overseas frames, my question is: were hutch hollywoods made in taiwan, i believe if the frame has a baseball symbol on it next to the serial number then its a foreign frame, also led to believe these were lacking in quality against the american frames, ( whats your opinions ? )
Ok so would you buy a frame with the baseball symbol on it?

martylaa

Re: Hutch Frames
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Thanks for that Glenn, asking because i was looking at a nos hollywood for a good bit of money, with the intention to build up old hutch style, but its got the baseball symbol, dam missed out on one earlier in the week              ( american made ) because i'm waiting for a man with a judge to get back to me with a price and did'nt want to buy both, wish i'd bought the earlier hollywood now!!!!!
Have you managed to find a judge frame yet?

sweetbeats

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 05:06 PM »
www.hutch-bikes.com
Some good Hutch info here on both the usa made hutch and the overseas production as well.
Never owned a hutch but from what I have read stay clear of the baseball and stick with us or pre serial hutch and you will be a winner :daumenhoch:
You should be able to pick something up decent off US ebay more so than the UK good luck,Jason :daumenhoch:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 05:59 PM »
LOL, the baseball was when they were made in japan, you can not fault the quality of the japaneese stuff. The last pro racers and a few others made in taiwan are pretty unpopular. You get what you pay for.
american made stuff is usually more desired and fetches more money, jap stuff is good though. There is a slight difference between us and jap trickstars, but the race stuff is identical.
i'm not sure who said it, but i thought a hollywood was a pro-racer in a gay colour.

you get no serial, us made
serial no baseball on dropout, us made
serial with baseball on dropout jap made
serial under BB shell taiwan shit, the brake bridge is welded op top not in between the seatstays.
ding dong

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 06:20 PM »
some of the hutch race frames made in japan are  better than usa model as i had both but usa boys don`t like to hear that and it`s the same with trickstar`s .
there is a slight difference between a hollywood and pro racer and it`s by the seat tube section (and i don`t mean like a judge ) other than that no  change
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 07:05 PM »
genuine Hollywoods were only ever made in the US.if it's stickered up as a h/w but has a baseball,then it isn't a real one,just a pro racer.down tube 1 3/8,top tube 1 inch and 19.5 centre to centre.As mentioned,the seat stays were lower than the centre of the top tube where they met at the seat tube.however I have seen a hutch Hollywood advert where the tubes lined up centre to centre.

martylaa

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 07:37 PM »
Ok so if you had the chance to buy a nos hollywood for a reasonable price but it has the baseball stamp, then would you go for it?

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 08:34 PM »
would consider it on the basis I knew I was buying a Japanese produced pro racer,no more.haven't got one of these,so would be a different one to the collection plus the map produced ones are pretty good quality.BUT I wouldn't pay Hollywood money for it.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 08:50 PM »
different head and seattube angles, different bb height and wheelbase

HUTCH PRO RACER VITAL STATS
PURPOSE: Racing (up including pro), luxury street bike.
AGE RANGE: 14 and up racing, 13 and up street.
STEERING HEAD ANGLE: 71 ½ degrees.
SEAT TUBE ANGLE: 71 ½ degrees.
TIRE SIZE: 20 x 1.75 front and rear.
FORK RAKE: 1 1/8 inches.
BOTTOM BRACKET HEIGHT: 10 7/8 inches.
REAR SECTION LENGTH (C/L of bottom bracket shell to C/L of rear axle): 14 ½ inches with 36 ½ inch wheelbase.
WHEELBASE: 35 15/16 inches to 37 1/8 inches.
QUALITY OF FINISH: Very good to excellent. Make sure you remove the excess epoxy coating from under the bottom fork race.
QUALITY OF COMPNENTRY: Excellent. No weak points.
QUALITY OF WELDING: Very good, but not quite up to par with what we've come to expect from Hutch.
GEOMETRY: Excellent.
HANDLING: Totally excellent. Cornering, jumping, starts, speed jumping, berms - the Hutch loves 'em all. And you will, too. We had no complaints whatsoever. Best cornering is accomplished by keeping your weight just slightly forward of center.

HOLLYWOOD SERIES FRAME AND FORK

Suggested retail:  $ 169.95
Finishes available: Violet,pink,and baby blue

Frame weight: 3 pounds, 8 1/2 ounces
Fork weight:1 pound, 11 ounces
Top tube O.D.: 1 inch
Down tube O.D.:1 3/8 inches
Fork leg O.D.:1 inch
Steering head:73°
Seat tube angle:73°
Fork rake:1 1/8 inches
Fork rake:11 1/4 inches
Rear section length ( C/L of rear axle to C/L bottom bracket shell):14 1/4 inches with 36 5/16 inch wheelbase
Wheelbase:35 5/8 inches to 36 11/16 inches

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:56 PM by J.T.RACING »
ding dong

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 11:08 PM »

BMX PLUS! October 1990 Testing the Hutch Judge II
YOU BE THE JUDGE

In the early to mid-1980's,American-made Hutch products-both BMX and  freestyle-were world-renowned for their puerior design and craftsmanship. However,when the cycling market gradually turned to Taiwanese factories for mass production,costs and quality were cut back.Hutch's entourage didn't take to there lower-grade parts too well,and by the end of the decade the companies reputation of excellence had withered away.
With the dawning of the '90s Hutchins Performance Products is now under the authority of John Embry.He's taken the company's top-of-the-line manufacturing back to the States where it belongs.As a result Hutch's racing and freestyle lines are all-American wonders once again.
This month we tested one of Hutch's matest racing creations-the Judge II.It's a refined version of the orginal Tim Judge signature series bike back when hutch peaked in popularity.We wanted to find out if it was built to last,if it could take tons of road and track abuse,if it could handle a true torture test�.like a good ol' American car can.This scrutiny isn't about Fords or Chevys though it's all about the Judge II.

DISSECTION INSPECTION
Chassis:The frame of the Judge II is 100 percent chromoly steel with a show-chrome finish.It gives you a 75-degree head angle and a 74-degree seat tube angle.The 1-1/4 inch O.D. top tube is ovalized at the seat tube to increase weld area strength.To top it of,you'll find extra-thick dropouts and an extra-thick brake bridge welded onto the rear triangle.
Front end:In the fork department the Judge II boasts tubular one-inch O.D. chromoly blades that lead to some of the beefiest dropouts we've ever seen.The pups have absolutely no rake angle whatsoever and they give you a drilled fork tube for the option of running front brakes.
Steering wheel:Revcore Bullet handlebars take care of the steering on this particular ride.They feature deep knurling,a buffed 7/8-inch O.D. crossbar tube,full chromoly tubing and super chrome finish.
Steering column:A Revcore XL stem holds the handlebars in place.Then a Hutch precision headset takes charge of rotating the whole unit around.
Windshield:Well,this vehicle doesn't have a windshield per se,but if you zit-tie a number plate to the Bullet bars,you can shield all the wind you want and run your race numbers to boot.
Bucket seats:The closest thing to a bucket seat on the Judge is a mock Hutch Trick Top padded saddle.Should you endo a landing,it'll transform into a bucket seat and buck you off without even thinking twice(heh,heh).
Wheels:You get two lug nuts with each Sun/Kovachi 36-spoked alloy wheel.The hubs are Hutch sealed bearing editions with have hollow chromoly axles.As an extra,the rear hub

is threaded on both sides so you can run two different freewheels and easily change your gear ratio.It's also known as a flip-flop hub.
Radials:Tioga provides all-season Comp III tires.These grippers have been proven over the years as the leading name in BMX treads.
Emergency brake:In the event of an emergency,a brake-check or a red light,the Dia-Compe Tech 6 lever can be pulled to activate the Dia-Compe MX-1000 caliper which will stop the bike dead in its tracks.
Air bag:An air bag doesn't come as standart equipment on the Judge II,but Hutch did provide us with a three-piece pad set that's designed to serve and protect just the same.
Transmission:Hutch three-piece cranks are the nearest substitude for a tranny in this ride.They have Hutch Pro pedals and a Hutch sprocket attached to their 185mm chromoly arms.A Hutch sealed bottom bracket set spins the whole deal along.
Differential:The rear gear-a.k.a. a freewheel-is provided by the folks at SunTour.When the tranny is engaged,a 1/2"x1/8" chain pulls into motion,which rotates the rear wheel.The neutral gear is found by a backward thrust of the tranny.
Engine:The powerplant of this ride isn't an eight-cylinder combustion engine,it's all you� the pedalr.Surprise.
ROAD&TRACK
For the actual testing of the Judge II we used and abused it on a real live BMX track.The obstacles of Temecula BMX Raceway in Temecula,California,were the grounds for the punishment.
S&M's Brian "Pepe" Hernandez and  Quikline's Shawn "Hickey" Winters were our official test drivers.
Test day gave way to some piping hot California weather.After we managed to peel Shawn away from his 32-ouncer soda,he was the first to give the Judge a go.In between complaints of heat exhaustion,the speedy 16X
Mentioned that the steep seatpost angle made the front end feel a little short. Despite this observation,he managed to adjust to it and sky over a huge ste of doubles a bunch of times. In the air,Shawn said that the bike was easy to control and didn't want to loop out. When he powered throught turns,he had almost the same comments:"Moving out of berms,the front end stays nice and low�and that lets you concentrate on accelerating."
After Shawn nearly passed out from his session,Brian got behind the wheel of the Judge. The prime King of Dirt contender focused his attack on blasting big airs. He tweaked prycho variations like no-handers,can can X-ups and a ton of fully contorted nac-nacs.He had the following things to say:"It's totally fun to jump. I could move around it really well,and I didn't even have to get used to it first. It's totally predictable. I like it a lot."
Brian got down 'n' dirty for well over an hour before he opted to call it quits. At the end of it all,the Judge escaped completely unscatched. It was the first test we've done in a long time where no parts bent,broke or even made strange noises that had to be investigated. All the componentry on the test bike is top-of-the-line radness. Brian,Shawn and their buddies almost begged us to give them the bike�they liked it that much. The only places where the riders wanted to see improvement were in the seating and the graphics departments. The "bucket" seat and the pad and sticker graphics don't exactl have modern techno-trick designs. Other than that,the bike has all the fixings a BMXer could want.
A DEAL ON WHEELS
Since Hutch only sells the Judge II as a frame and fork set,we tested a custom version of the wonder. From around $600 (and up) you,too,can get your hands on the same bike as ours by piecing one together. In case that's out of your league,you can buy the frame-set alone for only a cool $179.95. Our sample was a standart length,but an XL size is also aviable.
After putting many miles on our tester,we and the test force strongly agree that the Hutch Judge II is no lemon.
The chassis has a unique design and feel that made the orginal Judge a smashing success in the '80s,and now this new model just may reach the same superstar status in the '90s "II"

1990 HUTCH JUDGE II
Type: Racing.
Price: $179.95--frame and fork only.
Weight: 25 lbs. as tested.
Colors: Chrome and white.
Made in: U.S.A.
SPECS
FRAME
Type: 20",age range 10 and over.
Design: Single 1-1/4" O.D. top tube--ovalized at seat tube--with a single 1-1/2" O.D. down fube.
Construction: 100 percent chromoly.
Wheelbase: 36-1/2" to 38".
Bottom bracket height: 11-1/2" (center to ground).
Chainstay length: 14-5/8" (center of bottom bracket to midpoint of rear dropouts).
Steering head angle: 75�
Seat tube angle: 72�

FORK
Design: Tubular 1" O.D. blades,leading axle design.
Construction: 100 percent chromoly.
WHEELS
Tires: Tioga Comp III,20"x1.75" front and rear.
Rims: Sun/Kovachi alloys,36-spokes.
Hubs: Hutch,sealed bearing,hollow axle.
Freewheel: SunTour,16T.
DRIVE TRAIN
Pedals: Hutch Pro w/cage reinforcement.
Cranks: Hutch three-piece 185mm.
Front sprocket: Hutch,45T.
Bottom bracket: Hutch sealed.
Chain: KMC,1/2"x1/8".

BRAKES
Calipers: Dia-Compe MX-1000
Levers: Dia-Compe,Tech 6
Brake pads: SkyWay.
STEERING
Grips: A'ME Tri.
Handlebars: Revcore Bullet bars,28" width with an 8-1/2 rise.
Stem: Revcore XL.
Headset: Hutch,caged bearings.
SEATING
Seat: Hutch
Seatpost: Revcore,straight,chromoly.
Seatpost clamp: Hutch.
ACCESSOIRIES
Three-piece pad set and CPSC equipment.

ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch Frames

gfxgfx
gfx gfx