gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 02:13 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  OLD SCHOOL RACING, RULES AND HOW TO JOIN IN THE MADNESS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: OLD SCHOOL RACING, RULES AND HOW TO JOIN IN THE MADNESS  (Read 30451 times)

Faze7-Dave

Re: OLD SCHOOL RACING, RULES AND HOW TO JOIN IN THE MADNESS
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2009, 05:50 PM »
Riders  ready     Elbows ready     watch the gate    ...........

The GT is up and running, following a quick spruce up with the tin foil and coke it doesn't look to bad.  Thanks to Faze 7 Ade and Mrs Faze 7 for the wheels. Really looking forward to racing on Sunday just to see if I can get round in one piece and getting over the jumps.

Do I pick my number on the day at registration???

thecrooch

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2009, 08:00 PM »
yes mate - just not no. 19!!!

daz22

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2009, 11:33 AM »
Hi guys
Having been at coppull yesterday with my lad who raced expert male 11yrs old, I really enjoyed seeing the old skool race, funny as f**k in a good way that is, I've been looking for a class to race in this year but how do I go about getting a bike suitable for this class? I had a PK Ripper in the early 80,s but where can I get a bike to use?
Any advice very welcome
Cheers
Daz

moley

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2009, 01:00 PM »
Hi guys
Having been at coppull yesterday with my lad who raced expert male 11yrs old, I really enjoyed seeing the old skool race, funny as f**k in a good way that is, I've been looking for a class to race in this year but how do I go about getting a bike suitable for this class? I had a PK Ripper in the early 80,s but where can I get a bike to use?
Any advice very welcome
Cheers
Daz

Theres plenty of OS legal bikes/F & F etc, etc about on EBAY and on here in the For Sale Section.

1" Headset and Caliper mount brakes.

If your tall then a top tube length of 20.5" or over might suit you better than a normal 19.5" TT that most older Pro frames had!!

MADD DOGG sells OS legal Frames and forks every week!!   ;)

If you want to race at Crewe then let me know.  We'll try and sort a ride out for you until you get yours sorted!!

Just give me a PM   :daumenhoch:

daz22

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Hi
Is that all you need a 1" headstock sized frame and caliper brakes? I thought you might need 1 piece cranks and stuff as well....... won't be racing till I get sorted so may not be crewe maybe preston as I have a race license... I,ll come and say hello at crewe, what will you be on?
Cheers daz

thecrooch

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2009, 05:04 PM »
nope thats it just the headset and the brake.   most of the OS are not the lightest bunch and the OPC's are not really cut out for the pressures they are now expected of them. most will use a 3 piece crank of some sort.

feel free to ask any questions you may have - loads of useless knowledge on here....

moley

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2009, 05:43 PM »
I,ll come and say hello at crewe, what will you be on?

Just find any old git on an OS kid's bike!!   You'll soon get introduced to everyone!!

daz22

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2009, 08:17 PM »
.  :LolLolLolLol:Any old git on an OS bike, that sums up quite a few...  I'm now off to collect some stuff for my new old bike, bit like the the old woman, she's new but old

bmxboy70

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2009, 10:52 PM »
I,m starting to feel more confident after reading this thread :LolLolLolLol:

paulmela

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2010, 08:09 PM »

Same ere,   nice velle by the way :daumenhoch:

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2010, 08:11 PM »

Same ere,   nice velle by the way :daumenhoch:

You gonna be racing in't North region Paul?

Jago

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Hi Ratty

I'm an old schooler who is looking to get
back into some fun racing. I've just finishes
building my Redline PRoline PL20.
Went to MK last week and had a go.

Loved it.

I live near Amersham Bucks. Any ideas
on tracks and next OS race meet?

Scott

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2010, 07:19 PM »
H Scott, Not sure where your nearest track is, but have a look on www.badbmx.com or the hayes website as well as here to see what races are on, its worth contacting the organisers first to make sure they are running an os class.
One I would difinately recommend is a road trip to Hersden later on this year, great OS turn out down there. Oh and keep an eye on this section for any meets coming up.. :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2010, 08:39 PM »
I'm in northampton and used to race at milton keynes when my bones wern't brittle! Where is my nearest  meet to race os? Can anyone help???

bmxer1052

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2010, 04:00 PM »
Hi there,

Just got back into bmx racing again after too long away.I joined the forum to catch up on what I've been missing for all these years.

After getting my son involved in BMX racing I decided to dig out my old '86 Robinson pro from my mums' loft. Seeing that the yerars hadn't been too kind to it I gave it a thorough service as rust had set in and the bearing grease had turned to gloop.

I love how my bike handles and rides and prefer it to the longer bikes of today except for one crutial factor...my brakes' performance.

BITD when I was in my prime and weighing 9 stone  :fart: my Dia Compe MX1000 brake was more than capable of slowing me down. However,  :wtf: 25yrs later, 13.5 stone in weight and a waist line bigger than my inside leg measuerement  ;D and my brake just won't do the job. I've tried tweaking the caliper and changing the blocks, but with limited success.

Anyway, do any of you out there have any suggestions on how I can improve my braking performance.

I was also wondering if the new 'Retro' bikes such as the PK Ripper qualified as 'old school' if I were to race one in the OS category. I've always fancied one but was a bit sceptical of aluminium frames BITD.

Any comments or advise would be much appreciated.

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2010, 04:33 PM »
In short:

Get softer brake blocks and/or a more stable brake such as an Odyssey Pitbull.

No, New School retro bikes are not allowed - most of the fun of Old Skool is in wobbling around on a bike that's too small and too flexy. Unless you get a mid-skool bike that's still allowed  :-X (ie has 1" threaded forks and no brake bosses or mounts).

The new aluminium frames actually ride okay if you do want one as well as the Robbo. I tried a Floval Flier in the mid-80s and the ride was so harsh that I thought my teeth would fall out  :LolLolLolLol:

B-Boyblue

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Hey all,

Raced a bit as a kid on my KZ1 but would love to have another bash at it on my LaserLite when its finished. I live in Rushden Northants. would Milton Keynes be the closest track to me?

750Rush

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2012, 08:45 AM »
I raced for one year in 1985 on a Raleigh Burner and am interested in 'southern old school racing'.

Where can I find details please?

I live near Wimbledon in SW London, and over the last three years have built several old school rides. I know a new track is being built at Mitcham just down the road.

Any help appreciated!

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Hello mate, Im afraid most OS racing has been ruled out now by rule changes, you might find a locval track that will allow you to race, but BCF have all but banned OS racing now :'(
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2012, 09:30 PM »
Hello mate, Im afraid most OS racing has been ruled out now by rule changes, you might find a locval track that will allow you to race, but BCF have all but banned OS racing now :'(

Plenty of OS racing 'oop North (unless I've missed something about it being dropped from this 2012 regionals  :-\ )
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:32 PM by James Nada »

thecrooch

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2012, 09:59 AM »

you can still join in on an old school ride - you'll just have to be in with the Vets thats all... 

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  OLD SCHOOL RACING, RULES AND HOW TO JOIN IN THE MADNESS

gfxgfx
gfx gfx