gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 04:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Your 'Workhorse'...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Your 'Workhorse'...  (Read 1141 times)

chromeOrange

Your 'Workhorse'...
« on: February 22, 2009, 09:09 PM »
Here is mine. A We The People 24Unified. Bought this from MADD DOGG in November 08, trued the back wheel and was then ready to ferry my two and a half year old son around.

Added a childrens Top Tube seat, waist harness, stirrups up by the Head Tube and it was good to go. Only had the pleasure of using this once by myself, since then have taken my son out on it as much as the weather has allowed. He can't get enough of it. Done 6 miles on it yesterday - a proper workhorse.

It's bloody hard though having nearly three stone in the middle of the top tube and a rucksack of nappies on your back. I have to push it half way up really steep hills or if I haven't built up any momentum etc. And it feels like the crank arms might not have a long life. Great for fitness though.
In hindsight I should have bought an OM Flyer or something similar and maybe still will. Didn't want a MTB, wanted to keep it BMX and I love the looks of the WTP in any case.

Stopped by the local skate park yesterday and even rode around it with both wheels firmly on the ground. The kids couldn't believe what they were seeing I don't think, but the bike in itself got lots of favourable comments regardless of my son sitting 'in my lap'. There were loads of 24" bikes on the ramps I might add.

They even tolerated my old/mid school diatribe. And could laugh at themselves that they've denied themselves the pleasure of ever sitting down and pedalling with their slammed seats...

Any others out there used beyond the realm of racing or 'tricks'...?

dodger

Re: Your 'Workhorse'...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 09:40 PM »
felt q620 singlespeed for xc and commuting.

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:44 PM »
hey mate

bet your youngster is the youngest on a bike at the skate park

russ :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

chromeOrange

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 09:59 PM »
Cheers Russ...

And thanks again  :daumenhoch:

Mark.

scary_leary

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:52 PM »

my daily rider.. fookin love it.

Andy

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 04:14 PM »
mine, love it

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 04:53 PM »

Andy

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 05:10 PM »
se fixie can be run singlespeed or fixed but you take your life in your own hands riding fixed I have the marks to prove it lol

the_wheelie_king

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 06:37 PM »
Hi Mark
Where did you get that seat from? It's ace. My boy is about a year younger but I'm itching to take him out for a few rides this summer. My plan of attack was similar to yours; I've gotten me an '04 OM which I'm not going to allow myself to really pimp as it'll be my workhorse. As far as kid transport goes I also like the look of those pull-along buggys you can put them in but I'm not sure if I like the thought of him behind me and sat so low on the road. Do you find your boy is content perched up there on the toptube when you're riding?

Cheers, Bob

chromeOrange

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 07:46 PM »
Hi Bob,

The seat is made by LECO. The whole kit retails at about 30 quid I think, but can be had new from eBay for around half that. The seat is really good quality I reckon, but the rest of the kit - nuts and bolts etc is only average quality so I found it needed to be fitted well initially and constantly adjusted until it's just right. And I check nothing is loose before each ride. Doubt if it would last for ever and a day.

My son is totally content. He has never let go of the bars once and the longest stint we've done without stopping was over an hours cycling. We've been on and off for over 4 hours. He's a big lad for 2.5 years, probably the size of an average 3 year old and I don't envisage carrying him like this for ever and a day. At the same time the seat only comes with a single strap, so your son will need to be able to sit up straight, balance to some degree and hold on to the bars. Have to be at least 18 months I should think.

If I could do it all again it would definitely be on a 26" wheeled bike rather than a 24". Maybe even something geared. Sounds like you've got that covered with your OM. Still hard work at times until you get used to it. Only the super fit would shrug it off as nothing.

I thought of those pull along buggies. They're so cute. But so limiting for what I wanted. Even with my son on I can still crash down kerbs, get the front wheel up over them, cut across grass verges, get up good speed downhill, go through a town centre, and not obstruct cars or pedastrians in any way.
Almost like normal. Except a bit harder. It's a papoose on a bike.

Let us know how you get on!!

Mark.

the_wheelie_king

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 09:48 PM »
Very interesting... cheers Mark  :daumenhoch:

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:10 AM »

part time

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Looks good, think i'd want a front brake though for hauling two of you to a stop when needed though?

Andy

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 09:36 AM »
mine, love it

what's that andy?

I think its one of these... they look well smart...

http://www.sebikes.com/Singlespeed/700c-Draft-Lite.aspx

you would be correct beard, though I have a few mods planned for the bike when I get a job again

zed4130

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 09:39 AM »
my trusty taining bike , been doing a hour a night on it,  :daumenhoch: plus pull the kids in the trailer aswell,

paul

chromeOrange

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 02:32 PM »
I think you're right about a front brake 'Part Time'. I'm considering putting one on if I continue to use the WTP.

The rear brake only has been fine though for on the flat and moderate speeds etc. But for emergency stops and braking from a long downhill, it has felt as though it's right on the limit of being overwealmed...

Mark.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Your 'Workhorse'...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx