gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 09:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  buying from the states
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: buying from the states  (Read 2964 times)

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
buying from the states
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:51 PM »
just a heads up here really, i have been taken by the customs again on parts coming from America, it seems to make no odds now whether the customs declaration is marked"gift" on your consignment,Today i had an invoice hit the doormat to go and collect my mongoose decals etc from the royal mail with a bill for nearly 20 quid to pay to the customs/royal mail, they seem to have really clamped down on  anything coming from the states, basically anything over 30 quid in value gets stung VAT and the royal mail handling charge.... Nice earner eh...  :Great_Britain:

ATL

Re: buying from the states
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 03:07 PM »
B Stards!

Once i imported a Apple Macbook worth £400 i got the company to pu it was worth £20 lol pure brilliance!

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 04:06 PM »
B Stards!

Once i imported a Apple Macbook worth £400 i got the company to pu it was worth £20 lol pure brilliance!
  on who,s part,, if it gets lost you can claim 20 quid not so brilliant, its a bloody lottery with royal mail half the time they lose what youve sent or are waiting on...

Offline Bananaman

• BMX Nerd
  • Le Mans Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 04:18 PM »
They look less at commercial address senders for some reason, I had several frames sent from the US by a mate with a company in NJ, never got any tax or duty......the minute its between residential addresses they jump on it......EBAY for ya ;)

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:35 PM »
nowt to do with ebay, bmxproducts, grips and several decals ended up being the best part of a ton!

munners

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 04:50 PM »
They look less at commercial address senders for some reason, I had several frames sent from the US by a mate with a company in NJ, never got any tax or duty......the minute its between residential addresses they jump on it......EBAY for ya ;)

Where you been? :)

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 06:15 PM »
I'be brought in a few frames and bits from the states and only ever paid once. Last week I landed a $300 plus frame with no Duty or Vat. I asked the guy sending to mark as "used childrens bicycle parts" as suggested by someone here I think.

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:30 PM »
you were lucky, i paid on a frame a few months back , will have to try that next time, on the declaration from customs it states any item over 36 pounds declared as  a gift, maybe its a new clamp down, robbing muggy c**ts

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 07:44 PM »
they're trying to make up for the 2.5% VAT reduction.... :2funny:

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 08:02 PM »
you are fooking right, theyve fooked the country up now lets fook everyone in it.. :rant:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 04:04 AM »
you were lucky, i paid on a frame a few months back , will have to try that next time, on the declaration from customs it states any item over 36 pounds declared as  a gift, maybe its a new clamp down, robbing noo-noos

Never use the gift option unless it really is and it's below 36 quid, always have them put "used childrens bicycle parts" as you are less likely to get hit and if they inspect and find it is really "used childrens bicycle parts" they'll (Customs that is) most likely let it go  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Mr Nice

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 07:44 PM »
As of 1st jan 2009 the allowance for private imports was increased to £120 CIF. Gift allowance is £36 so getting sender to state gift on customs declaration is a bad move. So any order for less than £120 is not liable to import duty only VAT if the order is over £18. You can claim money back from HMRC if you have been wrongly charged for a personal import(not gift). Contact them on 0845010900 option 2 and they will advise how to get your money back. it seems a lot of the over charging is down to the couriers and clearing agents not applying the new allowances. Hope this makes sense it all very complicated. bloke i work with got his money back when wrongly charged duty on some boots he got off the net
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:59 PM by Mr Nice »

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 09:03 AM »
FYI the service I request is 'USPS Global Priority' - the one time I got charged was when the frame came in with FedEx. Perhaps using US Postal Service is one of the tricks.

Stella Dave

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 11:23 AM »
I'd been lucky until this year, bought a new Kashi for £72 from Japan and got stung for £26. Could have had a NOS one for that!

madall

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 03:51 PM »
If you guys need anything brought back me and the Mrs go home to Scotland from Dallas every 6 weeks

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 05:41 PM »
If you guys need anything brought back me and the Mrs go home to Scotland from Dallas every 6 weeks
mate that is very kind, i have 16 frame sets 8 pairs of wheels, grips and bars to come over, can you get them in your hand luggage ?...

telelogic

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 11:04 AM »
Had to order a set of coaster Skyways from colored tuffs in the US as no one here will get them.

first off, they cost £130 with shipping! (I bought a set here brand new last october and they cost me £110 inc)

this morning I got the dreaded parcel force letter! they want another £30 AND, I've got to go and pick them up!

This has happened to me 20 times before with musical equipment and it always give me the hump >:(

how can it be fair that they take it upon themselves to pay the vat and take my goods out of customs, then make up a figure to charge me?

I've done the maths on all previous packages and there does not seem to be rhyme or reason to it.

Fu*k parcel force, and the horse they rode in on :rant:

moley

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Why do you have to pick them up!!

When you pay online they let you choose the delivery date!  ???

If the post office have them then you have to pick them up but I never have to with ParcelForce!!

telelogic

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 10:37 AM »
you're right, but I'm sure you will understand that I couldn't wait :D

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 10:42 AM »
i does depend on who you buy from over there and if both you and the seller are willing to mark the item as a gift, this way it normally gets through customs with no charge.....but if it goes missing will only be insured for about £30 (i think)

i bought a new set of Tuffs from Rinnys and never got charged as she marked em as a gift.

i've also bought quite a few smaller items from US ebay and never been charged either.........i would think frames are a diferent matter though.

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 07:01 PM »
nah the "gift" thing is out the window now they are checking everything by the looks , had some bits turn up from Ray aka Worldwide and that had been opened by customs and checked luckily it was under the 36 quid value, i have a mongoose stem enroute , and i have asked the guy to put "childs second hand bike parts" as suggested , will see what happens  :coolsmiley:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 08:13 PM »
can they legaly open things?  surely they have xray machines for checking the contents?

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 08:25 PM »
yes they can apparently they can do what the fook they want  >:(

moanjam

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 09:17 PM »
just had the parcel force letter this mornin for a set of forks they are marked 'childs used cycle parts' i paid $30 and i've been stung with £8 vat and £8 parcel force fee  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 09:21 PM »
that doesnt add up i had a mongoose gold stem arrive today marked as ""childs second hand bike part ""it had been opened and checked and they charged me nothing at all this time, it makes up a tad for the fooking expensive decals...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  buying from the states

gfxgfx
gfx gfx