gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 09:11 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  buying from the states
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: buying from the states  (Read 2963 times)

madall

Re: buying from the states
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 12:15 AM »
If you guys need anything brought back me and the Mrs go home to Scotland from Dallas every 6 weeks
mate that is very kind, i have 16 frame sets 8 pairs of wheels, grips and bars to come over, can you get them in your hand luggage ?...

No but I have crate heading over on the 5th May half full

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 12:56 PM »
ive been really lucky,ive had a set of bars at £40 and decals at £30 both slip under the radar!!
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

moanjam

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 04:36 PM »
just got the forks i was talkin about , i paid $30 for them and the kid i got them from has put $60 on the package for some reason :tickedoff:
i've phoned customs and they said anything over the value of £18 gets a vat charge and if you get vat charged you get the mandatory £8 parcel force charge :tickedoff:
so my forks cost £21.50 and i've had to pay another £16.82 , f'ck you gordon brown

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 04:47 PM »
been hit a few times recently, although my Hutch pedals got through & they were marked at $145 and marked as 'other' ?

had stuff marked lower and as a gift and got stung
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Mr Nice

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 06:35 PM »
been hit a few times recently, although my Hutch pedals got through & they were marked at $145 and marked as 'other' ?

had stuff marked lower and as a gift and got stung

that's because the allowance for a gift is £36 but for a personal import it's £120

GavinKent

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2009, 07:44 PM »
I'm just about to order a frame from the USA - about $100 or so - if I get collared, how much I'm I likely to have to pay?? 

moanjam

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2009, 08:20 PM »
I'm just about to order a frame from the USA - about $100 or so - if I get collared, how much I'm I likely to have to pay?? 
15% vat on your $100 and an £8 handeling charge from parcelforce if you pay online they will deliver next day for no extra charge or if your close to depot you can collect and pay cash

Mr Nice

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2009, 08:21 PM »

I don't think you should get charged if it's a personal import cos that is up £120(that includes shipping and insurance)
But if you do get charged ie total cost more than £120 or £36 if marked as gift it would be 14% duty 15% VAT + couriers handling charge usally about £10 hope that makes sense?

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 10:53 PM »
It's bad enough getting stung but it seems some of us alately are getting stung for larger amounts just because customs know they can get away with it. It seems if you know how to work it out and you have been charged too much you can get it back. It looks like mr nice has looked into it a bit.
Maybe a stickie of the charges and reasons/weights for them could be made. Then the number to ring. It would make it a lot easier for us to work it out and be sure before we wasted more money getting through to the right department just to fooked off before the end of the call.
A sort of numpty's guide for guys like myself that haven't a clue why and what :idiot2: :) Just a thought cause it looks like it could be useful instead of just bitchin all the time when we get stung.

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2009, 09:29 AM »

I don't think you should get charged if it's a personal import cos that is up £120(that includes shipping and insurance)
But if you do get charged ie total cost more than £120 or £36 if marked as gift it would be 14% duty 15% VAT + couriers handling charge usally about £10 hope that makes sense?
  they are certainly checking and opening all largish consignments, i have been stung on a frame and fork set a few weeks ago, you will be charged 8 pounds by the courier this is as stated by the customs office plus VAT@ 15 %, you will not get charged 14% duty!, you may be lucky and get away with it but i very much doubt it.....

moanjam

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 07:25 PM »
hey swindon , just got me motomag frame from the states today no vat or charge  :D it had gift marked think i was just lucky but makes me feel better about my forks charge , got some Z rims comin this week also marked as gift will keep you informed  :daumenhoch:

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2009, 09:03 PM »
they obviously felt sorry for you  ::) :2funny:

moanjam

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2009, 10:00 PM »
 :knuppel2:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 10:00 AM »
I asked the guy sending to mark as "used childrens bicycle parts" as suggested by someone here I think

Yep, that was my little stroke of scheme-ous genius a while ago. Worked everytime for me except for when some cnut added up the value of all the items I bought off him instead of listing them individually like I told him to, then he put "goods" on the ticket, hey presto, I was dry-bummed by customs the cheeky feckers. :shocked:

Surely with the pound being so weak against the dollar it's not worth taking the risk anymore as stuff works out way more expensive if you get caught? I've left US eBay alone for a while now. :'(

Spen
Still limping......

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2009, 02:09 PM »
I'be brought in a few frames and bits from the states and only ever paid once. Last week I landed a $300 plus frame with no Duty or Vat. I asked the guy sending to mark as "used childrens bicycle parts" as suggested by someone here I think.
doesent always work though :2gunsfiring_v1: Had a pair of babyblue skyways sent from Colored Tuffs maked as "childrens bike wheels" still gor flagged and i was left shelling out another £45. the fookers

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  buying from the states

gfxgfx
gfx gfx