gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 02:45 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Smoke/Black Chrome
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Smoke/Black Chrome  (Read 9399 times)

dialledbikes

Smoke/Black Chrome
« on: April 04, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Can't decide whether to send one of my frames to a chromer to get a regular chrome job or to go for a smoke/black chrome job (like the old Mongoose Pro Class and Diamond Back Harry Leary Turbo frames).

Chrome is straightforward enough.

But how is black chrome done?  Do I need to get the chrome job done first then get it sprayed black over the chrome?

Any tips from people who have restored Pro Class/HL Turbos would be appreciated.

Ta!   :daumenhoch:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Smoke/Black Chrome
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 09:19 PM »
mike take a look here http://roseyspowdercoating.biz/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=71

i'll look at my powders when i get back to work, can't remeber if i've got this one :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

dialledbikes

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 09:24 PM »
Cheers Dan.

So the Pro Class and HL Turbos were powdered were they?

I always thought they were a traditional show chrome (but summat done to em during the chroming process to get the smoke/black finish).

Learn summat new every day  :daumenhoch:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 09:32 PM »
Cheers Dan.

So the Pro Class and HL Turbos were powdered were they?

I always thought they were a traditional show chrome (but summat done to em during the chroming process to get the smoke/black finish).

Learn summat new every day  :daumenhoch:

tbh mate i aint got a clue :-\  this may be an alternative, trouble is some powder manufactures name

there finishes as this or that but when you use them there nothing like what your after >:(

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 09:39 PM »
the mongooses were chromed black, as one chromer told me its a process that he called b@stadising the chromeing proccess, the leary's were coloured laquared over chrome, nothing special, non of this 1 coat of this and one coat of that, just coloured laquar over chrome....    ;)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 09:45 PM »
the mongooses were chromed black, as one chromer told me its a process that he called b@stadising the chromeing proccess, the leary's were coloured laquared over chrome, nothing special, non of this 1 coat of this and one coat of that, just coloured laquar over chrome....    ;)

that's the perfect answer :daumenhoch:

dialledbikes

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 09:47 PM »
Do you have the coloured lacquer Dan?

Might get the frame chromed first as a good foundation, then get it black lacquered.

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 09:49 PM »
Do you have the coloured lacquer Dan?

Might get the frame chromed first as a good foundation, then get it black lacquered.

no mate but roseys do a black laquer but again dont know if the colour would be right :)

kevin rettie

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 09:54 PM »

The HLT finish is a bit more than coloured laquar over chrome. Speak to n2cus on here (botm april) his HLT went through a 10 layer process to match the original on my frame. The chrome also had to be perfect to get the depth of colour. i believe n2cus tried a section of chrome pipe that was keyed before spraying and the finish came out rubbish.

Be warned though that you just have to look at a paint finish on chrome for it to chip!

dialledbikes

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 10:07 PM »
Be warned though that you just have to look at a paint finish on chrome for it to chip!

Um, might not be ideal for me then as this will be my race bike, so bound to get bumped about and crashed into.

scary_leary

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 10:17 PM »
My HL turbo is just a 1 mix powder lacquer over chrome.. and is tough as fook,
also very clear and shiney

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:24 PM by scary_leary »

dialledbikes

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 10:47 PM »

Looks lovely.

Where did you get it done?

bmxbert

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 10:57 PM »
mike another alternative is to get the chrome colour powdered like dan does with the candy colours.

if you look in the sbd gallery you will see a process of candy powder. roseys do a ultra chrome powder. get that black clear coated and im sure it would be tuff as sh*t.

they also do the black candy  :daumenhoch:

scary_leary

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 12:23 AM »

Looks lovely.

Where did you get it done?

it was done 2years ago.. the firm has now gone bump..

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 12:41 AM »
it's tinted lacquer/clear coat on hlt's just like on team goose and that gold burner. it's not that difficult, just finding the right colour is the trick.
ding dong

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 01:51 PM »
The Deomoition rims I use on my new school bike are smoke chrome, or black chrome as demolition call it. They are definately black chrome, not a laquer over the chrome as I run two brakes and there is no sign of a laquer rubbing off after two years of use.
SO I think the answer is you can have a black chrome job done, but not many do it as it expensive [demoliton have stopped doing it]
or yo can clear laquer over real chrome - and for a frame Id do the latter as itll look the same!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 06:06 PM by generallee »

Daletsunami

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 05:29 PM »
fhmreader on here can do superchrome, drop him a pm i'm sure he will be able to help out.

rarman1

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 12:48 AM »
i've given some candy/translucent red powder to dan and he can tell you its very high quality finish.

i got it from caswelleurpope, they do a black chrome, and they have a website.....

http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/

see actual pics of colours on.....

http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/

:daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 12:19 PM »
fhmreader on here can do superchrome, drop him a pm i'm sure he will be able to help out.

Yep, Mark (FHMreader) did both of my Pro-Classes late last year and the coplour match is awesome. It is only a laquer over chrome finish to look right but it's pretty tough as I ride the black one all the time now and will be racing it in the OS at MK this year. The blue one is a different story and will be ready for show'n'shine at MK with a bit of luck.....

Mark owns Impreziv Finishes in Darlington and posts on here now and then - drop him a line :daumenhoch:

Spen

Still limping......

dialledbikes

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 01:07 PM »
Cheers Spen.  Those look quality and exactly what I'm looking for.

Sounds like the first thing I need to do is get my frame chromed, or does Mark/FHM do the chroming as well?

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 06:08 PM »
Mike - try Hampshire Electro plating company in Portsmouth- they do frames in chrome for your chrome finsih - they charge about £120 for the full job = stripping and prep etc -
Geoff Cain had some done there recently, and a few other radsters use them. They used to do Rebel and Rickman frames BITD too. steve

dialledbikes

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 08:58 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Steve.

Clive Gosling recommend South Coast Chrome to me who I think also did Rebel, Rickman and MRD.

Not sure who to use yet.  Have you got your frame back from Hampshire Electro yet?  It's one of my new cruiser frames I'm thinking of getting black/smoke chromed.

Spen69's look perfect!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Smoke/Black Chrome

gfxgfx
gfx gfx