gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 09:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Its a hard choice....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Its a hard choice....  (Read 743 times)

Broggie

Its a hard choice....
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:29 PM »
I kind of feel right now as if I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place...If I look to my left I see an 84 master and an 84 TA.  When I bought these bikes I had something weird going on in my head.  Christ they ain't even from my childhood.
But for some reason I had to have them...
I've had them a few years now and enjoyed them within their admittedly limited abilities...yes they do look great, but the brakes are dire...
And though I have tried a bit of freestyle (yes just a bit) I could never do it on these bikes...first I wouldn't want to, and second they are just too short....and then there's the brakes  :LolLolLolLol:

Trouble is New School bikes don't seem to offer what I want really either (so WTF do you want!!!)

Really the sort of bike I want needs to be bigger, so that I am riding in the bike rather than perched on top like an elephant on a roller skate...I also really want a coaster brake on it  :idiot2:  (yep well that's what I want )
...and it needs to be both light and strong.

I do enjoy riding the TA and master, but cruising around seems really (at my weight and height) all they are really any good for...

In short I wont learn anything from riding them, except how to avoid dogshit...

Have you any idea what will actually suit me?  5' 10" 14 stone....I'm more into Bob Haro stuff than tailwhips.

The 92 Group one will do for racing....but I need to find a bike that works for oldschool tricks.

Its a difficult choice because I still like the TA and Master, but because they hold no childhood memories at all I really should seriously consider letting them go if I want to become a better rider and not just a summer poser.

Ray.

b45t4rd

Re: Its a hard choice....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:33 PM »
What about this?
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=85259.0

Very big and roomy for an oldschool bike. :)

lodge

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:44 PM »
If you want to stick with an old school freestyle frame I would go for a ammaco freestyler as there seriously long and have a slacker head tube angle than many o/s frames, failing that give a new school frame a try.
I'm much smaller than yourself and had a ride on a gen1 recently, it felt minute and virtually unrideable after being used to n/s bikes.

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:07 PM »
Give a new school bike a proper try out, like a good couple of hours on it... you'll be converted...  :daumenhoch:

At 5' 10" go for a 21" top tube, doesnt matter wether you wanna do backflips or endos and rockwalks its all gonna be way easier, theres 20 odd years worth of development since the TA and haro you've got.

Dont be stuck in the mindset that only old school will do.... and new school bikes all look the same...  :LolLolLolLol:

Broggie

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 07:32 PM »
I am certainly not discounting new school bikes at all, though I know with my penchant for old school colourways that it would probably need to take a trip to SBD...it will without doubt end up being a custom
with looks to die for, or to be killed for  ;D (I know no other way)... I now want a bike not for Bob Haro, not for Eddie Fiola...but for me...even with New School though.. the seat will be up...I'm too old to stay on my feet all day at 51  :LolLolLolLol:

I've learned a lot about what doesn't work, I now want to learn what does...and maybe when I've got more bottle (and a little more skill) I might be able to try what some of you take for granted each time you hit the skatepark....

I'm grateful for any input you guys can give, because as most of you know, I know nothing and have everything to learn...

I might be a bit old for the dry you know what though  :LolLolLolLol:

at my age it'd be more like fossilised than dry  ;D

Ray  :daumenhoch:

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 07:34 PM »
Broggie,

Gt Pro Performer mate, am 6,3 and 17 klem mate and there is enough room on there to swing me balls  :daumenhoch:, best old school ride about imho

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 09:02 PM »
ray, have you thought of going for something like a '92 master or similar -old school feel but with better brakes ?

munners

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:03 PM »
Broggie,

Gt Pro Performer mate, am 6,3 and 17 klem mate and there is enough room on there to swing me balls  :daumenhoch:, best old school ride about imho

:daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 09:06 PM »
Ray if you're around Cov anytime swing by and try my 91 haro sport bashguard, think it's got plenty fo room and freestyle to boot.

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Suggesting old or mid school bikes should be banned on this thread...  :yahoo_silent:

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 09:20 PM »
Torker Pro X  19 3/4" Top tube plenty long enough with a decent long Stem on it.

bodamus :)

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 09:21 PM »
Broggie,

:daumenhoch:

double agreed  :daumenhoch:

cherrypicker

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 09:55 PM »
Yup, get yourself a performer, lovely piece of kit  ::)

telelogic

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 09:09 AM »
I'm building a new school bike with a coaster.

If you need any help finding the right parts let me know.

it's taken me about 4 months to figure it all out and will take me about 4 minuets to tell you what you need to know.

I wish it was the other way round, I could have done without the stress to be honest  :D

telelogic

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 09:11 AM »
I'm just about finished on my performer build also,

It's bigger than I thought it was gonna be!

Guess I haven't grown as much as I thought :-[

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Its a hard choice....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx