gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 01:11 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Will a Fit FAF 2.1 tyre
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Will a Fit FAF 2.1 tyre  (Read 1458 times)

Glen

Will a Fit FAF 2.1 tyre
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:09 PM »
have clearance on the rear on an LTF? (at work now, so cant check)  I assume it will?

lodge

Re: Will a Fit FAF 2.1 tyre
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:38 PM »
Not 100% but I would guess no as I tried to run a 2.1 KHE on the back of mine and it was a pain as it fouled the brake, I had to go with a thinner tyre in the end.

Foldable tyres seem to get real wide if you fully inflate them so I'm guessing the FAF's will do the same.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:52 PM »
Just spoke to 4Down for ya Glen...they think it will be 'fine' as they are supposed to take a 2.1. But they wouldn't commit to it!

Not much help I know, but hey.

The FAF are a little thicker walled than the KHE and pretty much hold thier true width so you might be okay.

Are you thinkg the FAF-K or FAF (wire)?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 02:53 PM by Stodgy »

lodge

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 02:56 PM »
There's loads of clearance on the frames stays its the brake that causes the problem.
They should advertise that you can run fat rears if brakeless.
I had the same problem with a FIT S3 I had before my LTF.

I tried 990, proper, and fly brakes, the fly had the best clearance.

lodge

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:25 PM »
My LTF is 25/9 and the rear wheel is almost slammed, I did manage to just get clearance with the 2.1 KHE but  after getting a few punctures I found it was so difficult to set it up again it wasn't worth the hassle, If there was a slight run out on the tyre it fouled the brake and I had to start again deflate, inflate etc.

On the S3 I filed down a 990 to get clearance but I wasn't prepared to file my Fly brake down.
If you really want a fat rear tyre on it you could go down the file your brake route.

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:46 PM »
Glen it wont fit, you'll need a skinny rear on an LTF if you wanna run a brake

When i built mine up i left the brake till last, 2.1 KHE the fly brake wouldnt fit

Gotta Mac 2 1.5 loads of clearance (actual size is 1.9 dunno why KHE call em 1.5)

Fook knows why S&M call the LTF fat tyre friendly... cos it aint...  :idiot2:

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 11:42 AM »

Hey Glen,

Just fitted a FIT FAF-K 2.1 to a FIT Eddie 2 XXL frame with an Odyssey EVO II brake and it's got masses of clearance...I know it's a different frame, but the tyre does hold it's width well.

Anyhow, thought it might be usefull to someone...

:daumenhoch:

Dave

lodge

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 03:36 PM »
Sorry to drag this up again but I have refitted my 2.1 KHE tyre to my LTF, I have fitted the thin brake pad washers on the inside of the brake arm and put the thicker washers on the outside, this has gave me much more clearance, got approx 2.5mm clearance on each side so jobs a good un.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 03:41 PM »
result.
kinda liked the option when i ordered my sta, getting it made to order gives so much more options.

lodge

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 03:50 PM »
result.
kinda liked the option when i ordered my sta, getting it made to order gives so much more options.

Did you go for chain stay mounts?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 03:53 PM »
seat stay,i did dither as i got some standard flak   :2funny:  but as its new era wanted it on the seat ones.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Will a Fit FAF 2.1 tyre

gfxgfx
gfx gfx