gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 06:50 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Frame identifiacation please!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Frame identifiacation please!  (Read 4511 times)

musicmitch

Frame identifiacation please!
« on: August 09, 2005, 10:53 PM »
Long story but I bought this bike about six months ago and only got it today,but like I said long story.Anyway meanwhile back at the ranch..It has an aero top tube and round bottom.A really long headtube..The bottom back forks chainstays are teardrop very similar to a Ta..It has ishiwata engraved on the rear dropouts and has the gusset pieces welded on similar to a haro..The serial no is   (L2 J91730) Anybody have any clues please?

Cheers

Roy The Boy

musicmitch

Re: Frame identifiacation please!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 11:03 PM »
Here's some piccies..Does this help? Jog any memories..g]g]

daz bmx it!

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 11:15 PM »
Easy! Its one of those thingy-majig frames with watcha-macall-it forks from back when-ever? ???
but then again? maybe some kinda Tange frame?

The-flying-banana

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 11:50 PM »
Easy its a dishwater i mean ishiwata ;D sorry :-[

musicmitch

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 11:54 PM »
Cheers Daz and Tommy! That's helped me no end! I can now sell it as it's such a rare Gem...Somebody must know out there...But I do appreciate your efforts so far chaps.. ;D

daz bmx it!

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 11:56 PM »
Bet it ain't got those skyways on it anymore? ::)

The-flying-banana

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 12:43 AM »
sorry mate ;) i have heard that name b4 but cant put my finger on it :-\ and thats one mother of a head tube!

musicmitch

Re: Frame identifiication please!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 01:18 AM »
True Tommy that is one mother of a headtube and I bet I have trouble replacing the forks..lol.. Good to catch up with you stranger.I'm just really unsure of what to do with it until I know exactly what it is..I'm trying to get it into my head that's there's no such bike that no one on here as heard of ,and if that is the case then what the f*ck is it..? I think it's going to be one of those mysteries in life..I hope not.I need to be put out of my misery.It's either a pile of dung or a piece of rare bmx quality history.Upon further examination the welds are quality and the chainstay tubes are a work of art, as they're fluted inside etc..If it's a taiwanese bike they know how to build them.But surely they built more than one hence my quest for it's origin... :-\
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 01:33 AM by musicmitch »

Bobby GHP

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 12:46 PM »
I know the answer. I Also know someone with the same frame & Forks. I will let him answer your question.

Bobby GHP

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 12:50 PM »
Rare bmx is the correct line of thought. God I hope it's the same frame, I am pretty sure it is.

musicmitch

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 12:59 PM »
Cheers Bobby,You're a starman! I spent three hours on the net lastnight and got no joy.All I know is they make shit hot tubing,went bump in the 90's and made some excellent racers and mtb's.Oh and I found a spec sheet from ishiwata on the same bmx tubeset..But I went to bed 4am thinking how rare is this? I better not throw it in a skip...
It'd be nice to find out some more stuff on it..Decals/spec pictures..Value even...

Thanks Bobby

Roy The Boy! :)

Bobby GHP

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 03:02 PM »
This is a reply from my mate who has one.

Looks the same as mine alright.

I bought it as a F&F set probably in 1983 or 84 from a shop in Darlington (can't remember it's name).

As far as I can remember it was just a CW Racing no other reference.

It was that or a Harry Leary turbo but my dad insisted the quality of the frame was ten times better
so he made the decision for me. Can't really complain about that sort of thing when your 12.

Mine is in much better nick with only brake cable wear and a tiny ding on the down tube.

hope that helps,

David Baker

musicmitch

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 03:51 PM »
Nice one..Thanks for that chaps! So the next question is do I put cw decals on it then..Do you know what decals your friends has? Have you seen it? Sorry to peck your head? It's just that you're the nearest to me getting this bike right..Thanks for all your help so far.

Cheers

Roy The Boy! ;)

Bobby GHP

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 04:51 PM »
This is all Dave can remember.

It had black CW Racing on foil stickers on down tube and head tube don't think it had any on the forks.

musicmitch

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 04:54 PM »
Cheers Fella! I might get it powder coated and track down some cw decals then..I might even just sell it if anyone fancies it cheap! Let me know if anyone's interested..

Thanks again

Roy The Boy! :)

musicmitch

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 12:30 PM »
The Mystery continues as I found out yesterday it's defo not cw...So help still needed on this one please..Here's some more pics that somebody might remember from B.I.T.D! g]
g]

Bobby GHP

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 02:20 PM »
Post you question on vintagebmx.com a septic is bound to know what it is.

musicmitch

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005, 02:33 PM »
Cheers Bobby I'll give that a go...

Thanks. ;)

The-flying-banana

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005, 08:05 PM »
 ??? Roy had a thinky on this and im sure my little sis had the exact same bike back in the early eighties! me and my mates all thought they were cw make but they were not and thats when and how i remember the name ishiwata :-\

Cant tell you anything other than when the bike was new it had no decals whatsoever and yours looks pretty much like it would have bitd except the wheels , theses were chrome jobs infact the bike was very chrome,
 think my old man bought it from a local bike shop for £99 back in 1984 another thing i remember is how well put together they were and they just seemed to glide along and never rattled or squeaked, she loved it until sum git nicked it 3 months later and left me and my bro's burners and went for hers :-\

musicmitch

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2005, 08:12 PM »
Cheers Tommy..I'm still trying to research it.Nothing on the net nothing on vintage? Apparently it doesn't exist...Someone on vintage said it swears it's a norco..I can't get any pics of an 80's norco either..It's frustrating the hell out of me now..I might just sell it and have done..

Any takers..Cheap as chips????

gruffbmx

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 12:14 PM »
Lookin for a race project, how much is cheap??

retrogeezer

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 01:44 PM »
Only just noticed this thread - could have put you out of your misery ages ago - sorry.

The frameset you have is witout doubt, a Procraft.

I've had a couple myself - ishiwata atamped on the rear dropouts and 5 inch headtube.

Nice frameset but not particularly sought after.

musicmitch

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 02:13 PM »
Cheers Simon.You're a star! The mystery is finally over.I thought it might have been a team karate as there's one on the bay now that looks exactly like it...But Thanks for sorting it out as I now know what to do on the resto...Unless Bobby ghp still wants it???

Thanks Retro

Roy The Boy! ;D

retrogeezer

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 03:32 PM »
I think they had a model called the Karate!

motomagII

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 07:21 PM »
finally got it sorted roy that is what i call perseverance mate .ps do it as a ta replica again the last one looked so good .greg

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Frame identifiacation please!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx