gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 04:48 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Mongoose cali special build ( Edited title)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mongoose cali special build ( Edited title)  (Read 11762 times)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Mongoose cali special build ( Edited title)
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:57 PM »
TITLE CHANGE

Ok, going to do a diary of this build, will take a while to do but will keep updated for you

Hi, bit of help on this please.

What is the best way to remove surface rust from these parts of a frame. Sawzall did tell me yesterday of a liquid you could buy but i forgot what it was called instantly.

Would leaving it in vinegar/ lemon juice work ???????????

cheers.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:27 PM by Southern Andy »
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
Re: Rust removal from tricky parts on a frame.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:01 PM »
oxalic acid bath

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Tape the holes u with gaffer tape then fill the brackets with vinegar and leave 4 a week 2 dissolve the rust  ;)

Online bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:35 PM »
Tape the holes u with gaffer tape then fill the brackets with vinegar and leave 4 a week 2 dissolve the rust  ;)

I reckon what Animal says would work a treat andy but I don't think you need leave it that long - 24 hours should do it - then have a scrub up session and if it needs a little more go for another 24 hours  ;)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 11:11 PM »
Let us know the results and how long  ;)

dannywhiteley

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 12:01 AM »
I had an old rusty reflector bracket I removed from an mtb, and just to try it I popped it in a tub of my favourite sarsonns pickling vinegar half in, half out for 24 hours.  I pulled it out earlier and wiped it off and the bit that was submerged has come out spotless, the rest obviously still think with rust.

Dont want the bracket, but it was a nice little experiment.

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 07:11 PM »
good thread andy,im in the same boat with my gusset goose!!! :D
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

munners

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 07:13 PM »
oxalic is the only way imo.

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 03:41 PM »
Out of interest. Would vinegar damage paint on a mx 1000 brake if left in for 24 hours? I need to clean the surface rust off the cable fixing. Cheers Ben

bigsman

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 04:54 PM »
I haven't tried oxalic yet but its not the cheapest and it means ebay which is a ballache.  Tried vinegar and it worked not bad but I'm hearing good things about Citric acid has anyone here tried it?  How does it compare to oxalic?  Seems to be cheaper and easier to get hold of...think thats gonna be my next experiment!

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 05:07 PM »
Use oil and wire wool and a tooth brush. i did in those parts on my goose and it came up like new.

Juju

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I've used citric in the past.

It was ok, less special than I was hoping. So I've just scored a bag of oxalic off ebay. Just need to find a bath big enough to bathe my frames in.

Chemically oxalic should work well as it is attracted to the iron oxide of the frame, ie it actually attracts rust and chemically bonds rust to it.

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 06:19 PM »
These are the latest pictures using just vinegar.

Still needs a lot doing to it so maybe an oxy bath will do the trick.

Where do you get a pot big enough for a frame   :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:  ????

Online bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 06:31 PM »
Surprised with the results there andy  :(   Thought all the rust would be well gone - I used tesco lemon juice for just 24 hours on a seat clamp that looked like it had been dipped in sh!t and ALL the rust was removed  :-\

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 06:41 PM »
I think i need to scrub a bit harder John, it didn't help that i knocked the pot over the other morning on the way to work :LolLolLolLol: The gusset hasn't been worked on yet.

Will try again tonight on the easier bits to get to.

Online bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 06:46 PM »
I think i need to scrub a bit harder John

Andy - When i did my really sh!ty seat clamp in lemon juice the rust just fell off mate - I just gave it a gentle rub with a soft cloth no scrubbing required mate  :-\

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Mongoose cali special build ( Edited title)
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 09:02 PM »
Right, ok sorry for boring you all  :LolLolLolLol:

I have decided to do this build as a diary as such, bear with me it will take some time. For one, i'm not loaded and secondly, time is something i sadly don't have too much of.

So i'm going to build an 83 Cali special. I've been informed by the Mongoose chaps on here that this is probably what it was in the first place. There doesn't seem to be one in the museum so i'm going to work from info that John and Kev have dug up for me.

The build will hopefully look like this below, will be doing the black one.

I've currently been trying to remove any rust that has built up in the horrible places with a small bit of success. for this i have had it dipped in hammerite rust remover, then scrubbed then dipped again.

Now looking like this.

I have been polishing up other parts of the frame too.

Another part that have come up nice has been the seat clamp

I have also bought another Pro Class rim and today won a Mongoose headset off the bay.

I'm struggling to do the other rim as some of the corrosion seems to have eaten into the alloy ?????  I have been sanding this down like a maniac but it's not shifting, some has but other bits are proving very stubborn.

I have the original Tange BB and a Pro Class stem to go on but these need polishing.  Also John ( Bobafett) has sold me a nice set of Mongoose bars for this project that i will collect at MK.  :4_17_5:  I also have a nice set of Suzue hubs and a Shimano 890 rear brake with a Pre bent Shimano lever, again these need polishing.

So as you can see from those photo's (hopefully) the chrome is not the the blingiest but is in survivor condition.

The big question is............

Would you leave as a survivor..... or..... would you get a rechrome done ????????   Obviously i'm not keen on shedding out hundreds of pounds on it.

Please bear with me on this build, it could be a longish one but i will keep this updated as of when and what i have.

cheers

Andy  :angel:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 09:13 PM »
nice work andy,i havent even started on my goose yet ;D.i really fancied going down the cali special route too but decided against it as im gonna use most of the parts on my first build for it instead and do some trades for the rest of the parts i need(lots of minty stuff to trade soon).reckon my frame is in better nick than yours just dull as hell,reckon it will polish up a beauty,the only rust is in the usual places.hurry up and finish yours so it gives me some ideas for mine!!! ;D
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 09:19 PM »
" Hurry and up and finish it"   :LolLolLolLol:

No chance Mark, i've not really finished my Kuwi yet mate, sorry.  :-[  Time and money will determine this. I like the idea of survivor frames to be honest so a few parts may be easier to come by.

Online bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 09:25 PM »
Andy - i'd go survivor build on that personally. At the end of the day you picked it up cheap and you've gathered a few key bits in survivor condition without having to fork out loads. I reckon the frame looks quite nice in that final shot of the full frame as well  ;)
Build her up as cleaned up as you can - she'll look nice - you can always go for a re-chrome at a later date if you think the build warrants it when yer done  :daumenhoch:

That's just my opinion though bud  :angel:

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Cheers John  :4_17_5:

Added a poll anyhow to see what the masses think.  :coolsmiley:

magna13

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 09:58 PM »
You know how much i love a survivor... and this bike has turned out brilliant imho Andy, well done buddy :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 12:36 AM »
Think I  would leave it as a survivor too mate , like bobafett says you can always get it re-chromed later if you really want to .  ;)

Doing a great job by the way  :daumenhoch:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 08:11 PM »
Ok update required on my bits and bobs that have been scrounged.  :LolLolLolLol:

So far i have managed to get a set of Mongoose bars from John ( Bobafett), i have removed all the surface rust from these not that there was a lot but they have come up very well.
I got a Black Aero saddle and replaced the guts with the original Viscount ones. The guts that were on there were totally screwed and they were unstamped so probably not original. I won a Mongoose Headset on Ebay but am short of the bearing race that fits over the forks, hopefully there is one in the post from Daz BMX.
I also secured a Pro class rim from Marc ( Kuwahero) these rims do need a small amount of polishing as does the Pro class stem. I also now have a shimano 890 caliper and a Shimano pre bent lever so things are falling in to place.

Now with things on this being slightly anal, i still need some Mongoose forks in chrome, i did buy some Tange ones off of Jai at MK09 which will do for the time being. The hubs are Suzue ones which i will get built up as soon as i can get the rims polished.

I've also had the rims and the stem sandblasted by a mate to remove a lot of the cack that had built up there.

So things that are next on my wanted list for this are..............

Mongoose stamped One piece Crank
Black Mongoose grips
Gold takagi spider or Gold mongoose spider (yeah right)
Mongoose seat post

A few other bits aswell that will probably be a bit easier. The thing is, i look at those bits above and i feel like i'm banging my head against a brick wall.

Anyway thats it updated for a bit. :coolsmiley:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:19 PM by Southern Andy »

bmxbob

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 08:18 PM »
looks class so far mate  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Mongoose cali special build ( Edited title)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx