gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 11:11 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  re-stamping 401's!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: re-stamping 401's!  (Read 1166 times)

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
re-stamping 401's!
« on: June 03, 2009, 10:19 PM »
OK i recently took a few things to be chromed.  I specifically told the guy i wanted all the lettering left on everything i gave him.  I took in 3 sets of 401's and 2 sets come back 100% .. great chrome job and all lettering left untouched and still sharp.  Then i looked at the third set (my faves i may add... NON pinch type!), and he'd polished off the lettering .. like all gone, both arms smooth!
Anyway, is there anyway.. or anyone, who can stamp back the "Redline 170" that was once there.  I want this to look og.... anyone have any thoughts?
Cheers, Terry

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: re-stamping 401's!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 10:21 PM »
Somebody will be able to re-stamp them I'm sure , that or some kinda engraving .

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Do you know for sure from the guy that he polished it out?
Reason i ask is that sometimes you can become a victim of nickle fill. If he didn't and you use a chromer that can chemically strip the nickle and not blast it off, the detailing may still be underneath.
I have two chromers close to me and both operate totally differently. The 1st one , you can keep detailing on previously un chromed items when they are chromed but risk losing it haveing previously chromed items re-chromed.
The 2nd one chemically strips the nickle, keeping the detailing when re-chromed. Needless to say the 2nd one is a bit dearer too.
I should imagine you could have them re-stamped but you don't know how far he has linished them down after loosing the original stamping. You could end up with a stamp being punched straight through the arm if it's too thin.

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 11:14 PM »
I'm really not sure what he has done, i'll have to go speak to him.  All three sets had to be stripped of the og chrome and the re-plated.  I cant really understand why he did 2 sets fine and did this to one set. 
Think i'd take the chance of having them stamped as i dont see the arms being so thin that it would go through.
Just need to find someone prepared to do this ... and who has the correct font type and size etc

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 07:40 PM »
stamping may distort the arms,as quite a lot of force is required.
they were probably stamped with a mandrel inside the arm to prevent distortion then the bosses welded on. ;)

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:50 PM »
if i were you i would try a commercial engraver i had these repair plates made for a set of db cranks and were spot on
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:48 PM »
 :shocked: Now that does look like the answer to all your problems 8)

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 12:39 AM »
if he's pollished them out he must have taken a lot off so there probably been filled in(hopefully)

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 01:21 PM »
Right i went back to the chromers and talked to them about this.  They told me that there is no way they would have polished it out and no chance it has been filled in!  They basically said that there must not have been any text on there to begin with?!  Now i swear they had 'Redline 170' on them but what they say kinda makes sense .. seeing as the other two sets are perfect!
Has anyone got any non-pinch flights there?  Do they have the text on the arms?!!  ???

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 03:56 PM »
Right i went back to the chromers and talked to them about this.  They told me that there is no way they would have polished it out and no chance it has been filled in!  They basically said that there must not have been any text on there to begin with?!  Now i swear they had 'Redline 170' on them but what they say kinda makes sense .. seeing as the other two sets are perfect!
Has anyone got any non-pinch flights there?  Do they have the text on the arms?!!  ???

I wouldn't mind betting the stamp is still there but it has been filled during the chroming process, this can happen as previously described especially if they were stripped and re-chromed.  Does it cause a massive problem for you?  If so, get them stripped and re-chromed but inspect them between stripping and chroming and ensure that the stamping is clean and deep enough  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 04:52 PM »
It don't cause me a massive problem.  It's just that i've been getting parts together for this build for almost a year and wanted it to be as good as i could get it.  It's just annoying the hell outta me thats all!  :crazy2:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 07:11 PM »
if i were you i would try a commercial engraver i had these repair plates made for a set of db cranks and were spot on

how much did he charge ya to ingrave em as i have some turbo plates with the writing ready for stamping

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  re-stamping 401's!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx