gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 03:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch hubs, Z rims .... spoke size?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hutch hubs, Z rims .... spoke size?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Hutch hubs, Z rims .... spoke size?
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Picked these up today.  Can anyone clarify exactly what type they are?  Also, may be a stupid question but whats the best way to restore these?  Just a polish?  Anyone know where i can get replacement decals?  Cheers  :daumenhoch:

I picked up some nice nos black Z rims with these i was going to use ... i have some 194mm Asahi spokes and nips here (stainless i think) ... any chance these are the right size? .... or you think stainless spokes is wrong for this?!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 01:43 PM by wildon »

mark 2

Re: Hutch hubs
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:41 PM »
They're the magnesium hubs, sometimes come with a hollow axle or titanium. I don't think magnesium will polish up to a mirror  finish like aluminium, it'll be a bit of a dark smokey finish. I'd mask off the black middle bit and carefully buff the bare metal to smooth any pitting out. Those particular decals come with Hutch sets from JDB, or he sells the decals for the aluminium hubs on there own but they're a daft price, $15 for 2, abd they're not the right ones anyway. And if you want to get rid let me know ;)

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Thanks for that Mark ... I thought as much .. just wasnt 100% as these dont have hollow axles ... but they look like the OG ones so presume they are titanium?!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Defo Mag shells and the rear looks like a Ti axle but the front looks like a replacement axle as looks the wrong colour (and the cones look wrong on the front). I think the magnesium has a plated coating so don't rub with anything abrasive to get the pits out as you'll rub that coating off. I use duraglit or silver polish on mine and they come up great. Don't think you'll get the pitting out without replating which in my view would spoil them

Andy
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:29 PM »
One has black centre , one has'nt . Did they come as pairs like that or not ? .

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:50 PM »
would have had the same colour centres...black/black..plated/plated.

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Hutch hubs, Z rims .... spoke size?
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Is 194mm the right spoke size for these with Z rims?

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Anyone?

winnit93

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 06:39 PM »
only problem i see there is trying to remove the freewheel when the wheel isnt built,real bastard of a job your gonna have there >:D

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 07:22 PM »
only problem i see there is trying to remove the freewheel when the wheel isnt built,real bastard of a job your gonna have there >:D

It was a new freewheel and only on loose ... it come off no probs

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 07:24 PM »
lucky man.
i spent hours getting an old one off a hub and then had tio smash it to get it off  :knuppel2:
dave the bmxing gypo

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch hubs, Z rims .... spoke size?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx