gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 02:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Powder over chrome - RESULTS!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Powder over chrome - RESULTS!!  (Read 1517 times)

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Powder over chrome - RESULTS!!
« on: August 01, 2009, 01:45 PM »
OK, i picked up a chrome trickstar the other day ... thing is i already got one that i had rechromed so wanted to powder this metalic blue.  however, this TS has the og chrome and its in quite good condition .. i dont really want to strip it or wreck it in anyway.  If i get it powdered are they able to do it straight over the chrome and would the powder be easy to remove without damaging the chrome underneath if i wanted to in the future?!
Although, the forks have a small dent and some donut has drilled an extra hole in each of the drop outs, both of which i may get filled in (which will obviously wreck the og chrome) .. so what do i do?  thoughts guys...?!!  ???
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 05:05 PM by wildon »

neiljonarcus

Re: Powder over chrome
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 02:04 PM »
well any substrate has to be keyed  in some way shape or form  .."da disc or scotch brite"..now if you powder  over chrome and dont key it ,it will chip very easy . but in the future you can get it dipped in a solution which will stripped the powder off and leave the chrome underneath un harmed . now for filling in them holes  it will have to be welded  because if you use bodge  "body filler " it doesn,t go up to the powder coating oven does  round about 220 . and the bodge will pop and the job will be knackered  but any good powder coater will not powder over bodge 

hope this helps

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 02:15 PM »
Yeah does thanks ... what i was thinking though is if i do get the forks repaied the og chrome will be fooked anyway so it dont really matter what i do to it .. og chrome frame and rechomed forks will just look funny.
Not too worried about the powder chipping easily as will only be a show pony ... did i read somewhere though that it's good to put a metallic colour over chrome ... does it change the finish in any way?

b45t4rd

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 02:24 PM »
Had some chrome forklifter bars powdercoated, the place I use always shot blasts everything before coating. :daumenhoch:
http://www.powder-coatings.ltd.uk/motor.php
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:29 PM by vestan pance »

neiljonarcus

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 03:02 PM »
 :-X

Deano

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 02:27 AM »
I had a big dent in a frame i was getting coated. So i used quick steel (epoxy?) and it held under the powder fine. Did swel a little or i never sanded it enough but its better than a hole /dent imo.

Will ruine the chrome tho id guess.

Powder over chrome where did i see that lately hmmmmmmmmm

neiljonarcus

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 07:53 AM »
yeah for sure powdering over chrome  will work my powder coaterhas translecent  gold / blue / red  if you have a look at this thread i put up a while ago  the super burner is chrome with gold  laquer powder over it 

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=81287.0

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 05:05 PM »
OK ... didnt get the dent and the holes in fork drop outs filled as wanted to leave the mint OG chrome untouched.  The guy at the powerders said it wont be as durable as there aint no key for the powder but it wont be ridden anyway.  I recon it turned out mint!  ;D

Before

After

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Re: Powder over chrome - RESULTS!!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 05:06 PM »
MMMMMMMMMM yum yum, that looks lovely mate  :4_17_5:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 07:41 PM »
that does have a nice finish, and you could easily return it to chrome if you fancy a change, just dont tighten the wheel nuts up tight.... and get the headset and BB pressed in, rather than whacked in, i would personally sand the edge were the cups go in so the cups dont touch the powder, or you risk chipping the edge off, another tip, when you sand dont go 'in and out' of the tube with your sand paper, sand around the edge carefully to prevent lifting off the powder.... ;)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 08:40 PM »
Blue superchrome, lovely :smitten:

neiljonarcus

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 08:59 PM »
translucent powder looks the nuts  . i am  :smitten: that hutch mate  100%

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Thanks guys .. i am well chuffed with it  :)  and thanks for the tips meticus .. will do that mate  :daumenhoch:
Now with decals ....

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 06:27 PM »
sweeeeeet colour :4_17_5:
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Powder over chrome - RESULTS!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx