gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 30, 2024, 09:02 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  HOW DO YOU REMOVE DX END CAPS WITHOUT DAMAGE ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HOW DO YOU REMOVE DX END CAPS WITHOUT DAMAGE ?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
HOW DO YOU REMOVE DX END CAPS WITHOUT DAMAGE ?
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:43 PM »
I have minty DX caps  ( Rakas ones ), but need to remove them from my peds , as they're getting resprayed  :)

Anybody done this or have any good tips on how to remove these without gouging or chewing edges  up  ::)

moley

Re: HOW DO YOU REMOVE DX END CAPS WITHOUT DAMAGE ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:48 PM »
I dont know about DX caps but I use a scalpel on other caps!!

Slide the scapel down the side and lever slightly and it will bring the cap out!!

Anything other than a really Thin blade and you risk gouging the plastic!!

Have you got an adult to assist you with the sharp knife?

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:57 PM »
 ;D

I could get Diggler to help me

he has a scapel he uses to circumsize all the new customers in his bike christmas club
He says they look more presentable in the team Fox cycles lycra he supplies with each bike  :shocked:

moley

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 12:09 AM »
I bet it makes ya eye water!! :'(

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 12:10 AM »
I used to use a pair of long nose pliers in the 2 holes and rotate the cap round. After doing it a couple of times you get a bit of the edge up so you can carefully pull it out.
You need to be very careful not to slip and don't do like I did and poke the pliers through the bottom of the hole !
This was done on the original caps, they might be a bit tougher than the "new"ones, might be better to try the blade first.

Depending on how tight they were in the pedal would a bit of double sided tape stuck to them (or something similar) be enough to get them out ?

moley

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 12:19 AM »
My experience is with tight GT end caps with no holes in the cap for turning!!

You dont need to go too deep with your knife but make sure you go deep enough to get under the 1st lip (if DX's are similar) and then lever it up slightly.

Then push the knife in a little more and lever it and keep doing it until its up enough to get a flat bladed screwdriver to prise it up. 

Just make sure you dont damage the outer surface!!

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 02:45 PM »
I used to use a pair of long nose pliers in the 2 holes and rotate the cap round. After doing it a couple of times you get a bit of the edge up so you can carefully pull it out.
You need to be very careful not to slip and don't do like I did and poke the pliers through the bottom of the hole !
This was done on the original caps, they might be a bit tougher than the "new"ones, might be better to try the blade first.

Depending on how tight they were in the pedal would a bit of double sided tape stuck to them (or something similar) be enough to get them out ?
I did something similar to this. A tip before you start trying anything though is boiling water over them and try rubbing some washing up liquid in round the edges. Always remember if you like it smooth and sweet you can't beat a bit of lubrication ;D :daumenhoch:

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 02:48 PM »

very carefully

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 02:58 PM »
My experience is with tight GT race pants with holes in the gusset for easy access!!

You dont need to go too deep with your knife but make sure you go deep enough to get under the 1st lip and then lever it up slightly.

Then push the knife in a little more and lever it and keep doing it until its up enough to get a flat bladed screwdriver to prise it up. 

:wtf:  Ian, are you logged into 2 forums and have got confused  ???
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 07:38 AM »
You damn right Diggler ( FPMSL  ;D )

I think he posted his reply after passing out  with adding to much liquid gold to his Vicks nasal stick  ::)

etriedes

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 11:24 AM »
dubber ask  "animal" he found a neat way of getting them out ...

moley

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 12:10 AM »
My experience is with tight GT race pants with holes in the gusset for easy access!!

You dont need to go too deep with your knife but make sure you go deep enough to get under the 1st lip and then lever it up slightly.

:wtf:  Ian, are you logged into 2 forums and have got confused  ???

Cheeky fooker!!  ;D

bmxbob

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 09:08 AM »
screwdriver right through the middle then pop them out, thats what i used to do bitd  :shocked: oh sorry that didnt answer your question :angel:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  HOW DO YOU REMOVE DX END CAPS WITHOUT DAMAGE ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx