gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 08:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  help needed with my nuts !!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: help needed with my nuts !!!!  (Read 679 times)

ynwa

help needed with my nuts !!!!
« on: November 10, 2009, 07:28 PM »
hi, in need of a bit of advice here if i may pick your brains  :)

having trouble with the headset and crank on this bike im doing for my son. firstly, the headset and forks.when i put it all together,tightened all up the handlebars wobble? seems to be some play in the forks but when i tighten it, its too much making the turning tight. there seems to be no medium if i make sense  ;D

secondly, the crank im fitting. similar story here,get everything nice and tight ,with the bike upside down pedals the wheels and the crank tightens itself up so the pedals wont turn ?

your help would be apprieciated  :daumenhoch:

thanks

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
Re: help needed with my nuts !!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 08:08 PM »
what type of headset is it.  is it threaded ???
what type of bb is it.  is it sealed or loose ball ???

justin

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:27 PM »
Are you locking the lock nuts together properly on the h/s & bb ?

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 08:29 PM »
Sounds like threaded headset and BB. Might be bearing cages in wrong way round, Also I know it sounds crazy, But if your putting the bike together upside down you have got the crank the right way round?

ynwa

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 09:07 PM »
woah!!! thanks forthe speedy replies guys  :daumenhoch: been out to the garage for a good skeg at this!  right i'll see if i can explain things a bit better! the bike is an old gt with a gyro,which i have now removed.
think i might have cocked up bigstyle here as its my first build ever! which way do the bearings(in a cage) fit on the forks and head ???

as for the crank its an 'hanibishi'? one which i got off here. are they marked for left and right as the lighting aint so good. it can with one of the nuts already on the spindle so i took this for being the chainwheel side,is this right??

again the bearing are caged but which way do they fit in the cups ???

theres stacks of grease everywhere so one thing i know is its not lack of grease  :laugh:

thanks again all :daumenhoch:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 10:33 PM »
Try and get some pics up

Voodoocars

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:35 PM »
Which way the bearings go in will be obvious if you test them first with the inner cone races.Make sure the crown race (bit that sits on the base of the fork head tube) is tight and not loose- slight interference fit.Do you have a tab washer between the top cone race and lock nut on the head set? Same principles apply to the crank bearings.Make sure the cone race is tight against the rear of the chain wheel before doing the rest.

ozone

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 08:05 AM »
Those GTs have a long steerer tube that's designed to accomodate a rotor.  Because you have removed it, you have probably ran out of thread on your fork so that's why the headset won't secure it properly.  You either need to add washers to your headset or put the rotor back on, or you could buy a taller headset or cut 1/4" of the top of the steerer tube.

Any of those solutions should work ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  help needed with my nuts !!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx