gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975495 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 08:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Profile cranks arms seem to suck nowdays
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Profile cranks arms seem to suck nowdays  (Read 4989 times)

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Profile cranks arms seem to suck nowdays
« on: August 14, 2005, 03:07 PM »
I bought a set of Profile's about 5 years ago and they ruled.  The chrome was nice and still is and they went on to my frame effortlessly. 

I have a new pair and these new arms just don't want to go on to the spindle.  One arm went on, although not easily.  The other arm went on about half way after about 1 1/2 hours and then it wouldn't budge.  I thought it may be the ti spindle, but my other profile arms went on ok.  The finish on the splines doesn't look as smooth.  But anyway to save my new frame from any more drastic hammering I gave up and it looks like i'll have to buy another crank arm and hope it's finished a little better. >:(
Neil

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
Re: Profile cranks arms seem to suck nowdays
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 03:19 PM »
neil...i know for a fact billy had trouble putting the arms on his ti spindle, apparantly the tolerances have to be much tighter than on the cro-mo ones...hence them being a bit tight...

Dave
haro, how do you do

Andy

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 03:21 PM »
Im with you all the way on this Neil. Profile quality control sucks, I bought a set of chrome and the finish was shite so got some black one and the finish was shite.
They didnt go on well but went on in the end.
Profile really need to step up a gear as I have heard so many stories of bad quality cranks
Dont buy another arm, get in touch with the shop you got them from and if they dont help get them to get in touch with the profile rep

Andy

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 03:51 PM »
Dave, One arm went on tight, but went on.  The non drive side arm just wouldn't go further than 1/2 way.  Even after using a vice.

Andy, I got the arms from Dans compe in the US.  Maybe, I'll have a word with Profile Europe.
Neil

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 04:13 PM »
Dave, One arm went on tight, but went on.  The non drive side arm just wouldn't go further than 1/2 way.  Even after using a vice.

Andy, I got the arms from Dans compe in the US.  Maybe, I'll have a word with Profile Europe.

Vice...I had problems getting the arms on mine at first, but once they have been on & off a few times, there fine.
I would say use the correct tool for putting them off & removing them tho + check the inside of the crank arms to see if there is anything that might stop them going on ok.

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 04:34 PM »
Done all of that and used the correct profile tool.  I put the arm in a vice just to see if  I could bolt  the arm to the spindle without having to put unnecessary pressure on the frame.  The inside of the crank arm doesn't look bad, but I guess if the splines have just a slight imperfection it will have an effect on installation.
Neil

pauldudley

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 04:40 PM »
did you use finish line Ti prep ?

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 04:48 PM »
Plenty of ti pep.  I think I just have a dodgy crank arm.
Neil

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 05:23 PM »
Yeah does sound like a dodgy crank arm, it should not be that hard.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 05:34 PM »
lucky you mine are real loose and creak like crap mate but i didnt use any grease tho lol

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 06:34 PM »
rhys...the grease works fella...soon as i got home today i did mine and its stopped the creaking...where does the grease go tho....

one of lifes mysterys

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 06:43 PM »
yeah but will it make them harder to put on as they slide on and off far to easily

The-flying-banana

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 09:56 PM »
Why dont you try and heat the crank arm ie stick it in boiling water ! get it really hot and it should go on then but it will be a pig to remove :-\

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 09:59 PM »
One day i'll get a bike that goes together with no problems at all. :D

I've emailed Profile europe to see if they'll replace the arm even tho I got it from the State's.
Neil

Offline graeme

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 10:16 PM »
if you think profiles can be a pig to fit you want to try RNC cranks
graeme

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 10:18 PM »
prob with mine was the bearings and cups fell in and the spindle almost shot out the other side and arms just fall on and off .ask dave or billy they was there when i fitted em

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 01:21 AM »
Took me about 2 hours to get mine on with a ti spindle Neil, but I wasn`t going to give up, even the tool for installing them seized up because of the heat and pressure that built up on it, but once they have been off once or twice they do seem to get easier.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

yoda

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 12:11 PM »
Hmmm cranks are my least fav part these days. They are a bit shite to get on and off. Had a right fk on with my 22mm axle 'We the peoples'. I got DMR on my new S&M really tight fit too. Ive snapped far to many pairs in my day and am not looking forward seeing how long these things last either.

daze

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 05:18 PM »
strange.

my new powerbites went on in 5 minutes!!

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2005, 05:18 PM »

I'm about to buy new cranks...so, whats the consensus: Primo Hollowbite or Profile?

For riding ramps and skateparks...and what length? I'm old school so I'm leaning towards 175mm...

What do you guys think?

weston

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2005, 07:32 PM »
profile used to be the best back in the day but everyone has caught them up & some companies have left them behind,i know when building a classic you want original parts but theres nothing wrong with putting the best new school on your classic & visa versa,(ie: ive got some skyway graphites on my dave mirra which i purchased last week)

retrogeezer

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 08:49 AM »
I have a new pair and these new arms just don't want to go on to the spindle.  One arm went on, although not easily.  The other arm went on about half way after about 1 1/2 hours and then it wouldn't budge.  I thought it may be the ti spindle, but my other profile arms went on ok.

It's probably because they are now mass produced in the factories in Taiwan that make loads of cranks for other people - even the ones you can buy for £50-60.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005, 09:35 AM »

I'm about to buy new cranks...so, whats the consensus: Primo Hollowbite or Profile?

For riding ramps and skateparks...and what length? I'm old school so I'm leaning towards 175mm...

What do you guys think?

Sorry guys, forgot to mention...it's for a new school bike!

mongoosean

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2005, 01:17 PM »
Had Profiles on my Rupe back in 85? and have recently started to restore it.The cranks simply pulled off(lots of Campag grease on the spindle)after 20 years.Need re-chromeing though.

inky

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2005, 02:48 PM »
It's probably because they are now mass produced in the factories in Taiwan that make loads of cranks for other people - even the ones you can buy for £50-60.

So it's just the box that's made in the usa?
Profile site:
The longevity of Profile Racing in this industry can be attributed to its innovative product development, its contribution and support to the sport, the true dedication of its very talented employees and our product, still to this day, being 100% made in the United States of America. Buy American!

Hey, the arms don't look the same anymore, probably due to a more advanced computer program they're modeled after. Compatibility issues will be there in light of the production numbers. My Ti spindle is a bitch too.... but not as bad as refusing to go on/breaking tools and all that ??? 

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Profile cranks arms seem to suck nowdays

gfxgfx
gfx gfx