gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 08:00 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Replacing DC MX quick-release mechanisms & hardware
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Replacing DC MX quick-release mechanisms & hardware  (Read 1643 times)

monkian

Replacing DC MX quick-release mechanisms & hardware
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:43 PM »
Any tips or links to other threads on how to replace these? Also anyone know where can I get them from :-\
I've just got some MX900's the caliper arms are in great shape but some of the hardware needs replacing (the longer spindle).
The Weinmann adjusters are OK except the threaded cable sleeves so I could do with a pair of them as well.
The biggest problem with them is the quick release mechanisms as they're peeling, rusting and one is bent :-\

I also got some Tech III's that need new screws and springs.

Any help much appreciated :daumenhoch:

PS: Some centering devices would be cool as well 8)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:27 PM by monkian »

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Replacing DC MX quick-release mechanisms & hardware
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:28 PM »
I know that fishface replaced a quick release before  :daumenhoch:
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

monkian

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:39 PM »
I know that fishface replaced a quick release before  :daumenhoch:

Thanks man, I just sent him a polite PM :daumenhoch:

monkian

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 11:39 PM »
Talking to fishface it seems that the rivet head has to be filed off to remove the QR system.
Then a bit of custom work on a suitable bolt is required to re-fit it :shocked:  :D

Thanks for your help fishface also thanks to Daz for the (front) spindle :daumenhoch:
I gunna check out the local nut & bolt shop for the other hardware but I did find this guy on US ebay selling bits for around a fiver.
http://myworld.ebay.com/abombdrummer/

xGoose

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:40 AM »
Ive bought some Tuf Neck bolts from abombdrummer before, very helpful guy.  :)

soll36

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:11 AM »
i used some 3 or 4 mm screws for my tech 3's from b+q  (cant remember the size) and some springs cut from pens    :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 11:11 AM »

some springs cut from pens 

Brilliant !  :)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline mivvi

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 06:54 PM »
Well here is my 2 pence worth as I had the same problem when I re-painted my calipers. This is only for replacing the quick release though but this fix ain't easy but looks like the original one. The original fixing is a rolled pin, hence its domed on both sides done on a special machine, its not a rivet. Yes, you have to carefully grind the old one off from the 'front', as you will need the old one. I then got some chrome 'coach bolts' (Like a bolt but has a Domed head not a hex head) really small size, not sure what size it was? Here is the tricky bit, I drilled and tapped the same thread as the new coach bolt into the front of the old rivet. Then cut the coach bolt down, so it screws tight into the old rivet. Assemble it on the calliper with a little lock thread, making sure the release mech still moves. Sorry I know this is a bit over the top but thought it might help.  I got all other fixings from Rinni in the states. Pic below:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:55 PM by mivvi »

monkian

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 10:38 AM »
Well here is my 2 pence worth as I had the same problem when I re-painted my calipers. This is only for replacing the quick release though but this fix ain't easy but looks like the original one. The original fixing is a rolled pin, hence its domed on both sides done on a special machine, its not a rivet. Yes, you have to carefully grind the old one off from the 'front', as you will need the old one. I then got some chrome 'coach bolts' (Like a bolt but has a Domed head not a hex head) really small size, not sure what size it was? Here is the tricky bit, I drilled and tapped the same thread as the new coach bolt into the front of the old rivet. Then cut the coach bolt down, so it screws tight into the old rivet. Assemble it on the calliper with a little lock thread, making sure the release mech still moves. Sorry I know this is a bit over the top but thought it might help.  I got all other fixings from Rinni in the states. Pic below:

Wow :shocked: That looks awesome.
It might be a bit beyond me with the resources (or lack of) available to me but I know a great little place round the corner that could probably take it on.
Real nice work man, Thanks for chippin in :daumenhoch:

Offline mivvi

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 07:01 PM »
No worries. Try and source the coach bolts, thats the important bit, then any handy machinist can do the work. Im an electronics engineer, so it can't be that hard, lol.

Good luck fella.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Replacing DC MX quick-release mechanisms & hardware

gfxgfx
gfx gfx