gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975562 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 14, 2024, 11:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway axle threads
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyway axle threads  (Read 14028 times)

rockinlumberjack

Skyway axle threads
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:11 AM »
Hello and good morning to all !
I want to upgrade my Skyway Tuff II Old School wheels with gold nuts to go with other components who are gold. They've already the plastic hub, so they'are from 85-89. I want to know what are the threads of the axles. I've seen on Vintage BMX that they are 24 tpi on the rear and 26 on the front for the recent production. Is it the same for the Old School production, as I tought that they were both, front and rear, 26 tpi ?
Many thanks for your help and best regards.

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Skyway axle threads
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 09:17 AM »
I think the threads are only different if you have a coaster.

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 06:09 PM »
I have a pair of New Skyways coming with the new hub, what pegs do i get ? All i see on e-bay is 3/8"

g_lamb

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Fairly certain none coaster are the same too. Can't remember if 24 or 26  :-[

I think it's 24. Remember buying some 26tpi skyway axle extenders and them being a bit loose compared to 24tpi

@ other post: 3/8 = 10mm or as near as damn it
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 06:28 PM by Lamby »

spesh

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 06:28 PM »
they are different fornt to rear i think coasters are the same front and rear(i could be wrong on the coaster tho)

but defo are they different on the new ones

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 06:58 PM »
No one has come out with a straight answer, will 3/8" fit or be loose on the new hub front and rear? Cheers Steve.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 08:52 PM »
The new skyway's have come with new axles I had a set of 24 tpi for the back that went on like a treat then I had some 26 tpi for the front and destroyed the threads on them at that point i purchased some Dyno fork-standers These are 2009 wheels.

The 2010 wheels now have identical front and rear so I would wait until they arrive then get counting them threads.  My best guess would be 26 tpi for both axles if are 2010 wheels  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 09:23 PM »
all the  ones  i had were 24 tpi on both, i beleive the new ones are the same, 3/8 24tpi, ?,,something to with the old imperial thread standards, the us standard was different to uk whitworth? 3/8 and 10mm are pretty close,   a 10mm nut on 3/8 axle will strip out because the thread wont fully mesh on the axle

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 08:58 AM »
I think the threads are only different if you have a coaster.
I have a set of yellow, black and white all the same front and back and alloy hubbed,
I have a set of red steel hubbed coaster and they are differant front and back.

telelogic

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 10:08 AM »
I had the same problem!

I bought a thread gauge for about three quid. It's the only way to be sure  :daumenhoch:

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Just got some 10-14m axle converters which took 26 tpi. The front Skyway took these easily but the bak is very tight after about half inch.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 11:15 AM »
Just got some 10-14m axle converters which took 26 tpi. The front Skyway took these easily but the bak is very tight after about half inch.

Are these on brand new Tuffs that are stamped 2009 or 2010???  as the have Different axles in them as I have a set of 2009 tuffs that still have 24tpi front and back :daumenhoch:

New axles have no flats on front axle and  front and rear are longer than before and are both the same length so the front looks very long (2009/2010)
Older Axles on Sealed bearing Tuffs are Different, There are 2 flats on front axle and  front axle is shorter than the rear (unsure - 2009) mine are both 24tpi

:daumenhoch:  The Skyways thread mistery continues  :daumenhoch:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 11:31 AM »
No probs with my OGKs  :daumenhoch:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 08:17 AM »
Mine have flat spaces on the front and shorter and the rear is long with no flats. Hope that clears it up.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 09:27 AM »
if the front nuts fit the back axle and vice versa I would say they were 24 tpi if not then you have 1x24tpi and 1x26tpi
Mine have flat spaces on the front and shorter and the rear is long with no flats. Hope that clears it up.

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 12:07 PM »
What a simple test Brettypeeps with the axle nuts. Just did it, the front nuts did not fit on the back, so the back axle is 24 and the front 26, fact. Skyway are just weird for this. The front axle took the new axle extension(26tpi) but the back would not.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 01:47 PM »
What a simple test Brettypeeps with the axle nuts. Just did it, the front nuts did not fit on the back, so the back axle is 24 and the front 26, fact. Skyway are just weird for this. The front axle took the new axle extension(26tpi) but the back would not.

Cool  8) so I reckon your wheels will be stamped with 2009 or older as I think the 2010 wheels are both 26 tpi but who knows the mistery of skyway wheels and there axle threads :smiley6600: :daumenhoch:

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 06:54 PM »
Would you know where i could get a 26tpi for my back axle on my Skyway. Cheers.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Any axle off flee bay is 26 tpi bi you will nee 2 so you have enough lock nuts to lock it off with sealed bearings as these will have conicles on them to run on standard bearings motorsavers has some will send you a link when I am not on my phone :daumenhoch:

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 07:44 PM »

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 08:06 PM »
right on me laptop now so can type properly...

you can by one and use the existing axle locking nuts off your skyway axle 2 tpi difference wont make a lot of difference as they are quite thin BUT if it knackers the thread on the axle you already have a set of 26 tpi lock nut ready for if you have to buy another new axle.  I succeeded with just buying the one axle though. :4_17_5:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10mm-x-175mm-Rear-Bike-Cycle-Solid-Wheel-Spindle-Axle-/110516372484?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item19bb4a0404#ht_600wt_911

Much cheaper on ebay

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 03:22 PM »
Ordered 1 set now back on track. Cheers.

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 09:46 PM »
Update and be warned, i got my new axle of e-bay but it was still not 26 tpi or 24 tpi ? I have since heard there are a few different threads knocking about. Went to Grips in Rayleigh Essex(top shop) and he sorted out the correct axle. My hybrid Dave Mirra Flair is now on track. Cheers to all who helped.

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Just got another pair of brand new tuffs(2010) off e-bay and the front and back axle are the same. So just got tot get another pair of axle boosters 10-14mm. I have just got another Dave Mirra flair complete bike for silly money and im doing a whole different paint job black and orange.

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Just tried my axle converters on my new(2010) Skyways and there still not 26tpi front or back-got to get more axles now.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway axle threads

gfxgfx
gfx gfx