gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975568 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 18, 2024, 04:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Forum  |  Q&A, Ideas & Feedback  |  what bike to buy-old school rider needs nu skool toughness??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: what bike to buy-old school rider needs nu skool toughness??  (Read 542 times)

nosher70

what bike to buy-old school rider needs nu skool toughness??
« on: September 05, 2010, 11:23 PM »
Hi im thinking of buying a bike and im not too keen on the new school rides ive seen. Im middle aged and weigh 14.5 stone and im 6 feet tall. The new bikes ive seen seem street/dirt oriented i.e no detangler/pegs etc and have small BB"S (euro i think?). I did own a 2008 retro black/gold ripper which i liked (but needed funds so i sold it) so getting another PK ripper may be an option. Previously (back in the day)the bikes i owned from time to time included a DP firebird,skyway TA/streetbeat,rickman freestyler i LOVE old school bikes but im concerned they lack the strength required for me to use as a daily ride.

My style is flat/street/bombing around.

Would anyone recommend a (recent-beefy tubed) quadangle with tuffs fitted????? or would on the other hand a streetbeat snap in half from the extra few pounds im carrying??  OR can anyone recommend an old/mid school ride that i havent considered? (standard lengthy/hoffman big daddy/general RL)   ;)

Any advice is most welcome-"keep the faith"

money isnt really an object but i dont want to spend a grand on a museum piece that will break the moment it sees daylight!!

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: what bike to buy-old school rider needs nu skool toughness??
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:39 PM »
 Most of the street/dirt new school bikes will have a Mid/Spanish bb-Euros are generally only found on race bikes.A lot of them will have removable brake and gyro tabs so you can add/remove them as you see fit.The Standards and Hoffmans you mentioned should also handle a ton of abuse &will probably handle/feel way better than an a pure OS bike.If a Quad is more your thing,have a look at the 99 alloy ones..

nosher70

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 03:05 PM »
@VOIVOD thanks mate but where would you suggest i obtain a standard/hoffman etc as they seem even harder to get off the bay than an old school ride?

I have looked at the SE website and i like the look of the new 2010 freestyle quads-they have gyros etc even standing gear forks but again, i cant see any UK dealers selling these

spesh

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 04:37 PM »
this is my rider (and im not light either) old school look with toughness
its for sale if you wanna pm me

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:29 PM by spesh »

JT71

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 04:58 PM »
I wouldn't recommend Tuffs at all!

but there's lots of choice, you can fit a gyro to most frames, I don't run one cos I can't do bar spins lol but my frame has removeable tabs....i think they came in the box anyway. pegs is no problem, just get some and fit them, front brake can be, very few forks around with 990 mounts now, and get a longer seat post and Bob's your mother's brother.

nu school don't have to be a scooter! New school dirt bike on the right:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 05:20 PM »
 :) The Quad Freestyle bikes are just toys & prob a bit short for a rider.Post in the Wanted section here & you might get a few replies,this site is one of the best places for obtaining stuff.

JT71

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 05:29 PM »
oh, I'm not saying get a dirt bike either, they suck, I'm just saying, you can have all the things you want in a new school ride
and it doesn't have to be a low slung brakeless, stump seat posted, new school whipping machine, it's just that most of them are.

nosher70

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 02:19 PM »
@SPESH...... I have already seen your ride thats for sale and i think its divine, however, by what means would you suggest getting it to saudi arabia without it getting stolen by the post/courier??

If you have a sensible suggestion and its for a sensible price then a deal MAY be on?

by the way what bike is it, it has master decals but its not a master??

thanks

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Forum  |  Q&A, Ideas & Feedback  |  what bike to buy-old school rider needs nu skool toughness??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx