gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975569 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 20, 2024, 12:53 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  30 Years of BMX in the UK
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 30 Years of BMX in the UK  (Read 73640 times)

trickydeno

Re: 30 Years of BMX in the UK
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2010, 08:48 PM »
WOW!!! great thread to read through guys.i was never a racer,and wasn't into bmx till 1984.but i've been lovin reading about the early days and how cool it must have bin.must be great for you all to relive it between you-real quality times-fair play to ya guys!

i remember going to the kellogs at birmingham in 1985 i think and having pics taken with stu thompson-nelson chanaday aswell as others.top top times.i also went to paris again in 1985 i think-in november to the yop challenge at palais omnisports in bercy.there was this wicked indoor track with a halfpipe/ramp complex in the middle of it.if my memory is correct i'm sure andy ruffell won there.they had ron wilkerson & rich siguir riding for haro on the ramps.and i won a pair of vans  :LolLolLolLol: brilliant day out....never forget it....even though i was on my own with 10000 frogs  :LolLolLolLol:

great thread mr ratty  :) nice 1 fella!

paulgray

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 07:35 PM »
slagharen worlds 1983 (CAN YOU NAME SOME OF THESE)

There's a young Sean Rose in there wearing the Cobra top.

paulgray

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2010, 07:41 PM »

I started racing aged 14 so that must have been 82. I know Andy Davidson has a load of photo's from before then, if I ever see him again I'll try and get them scanned.

richboy

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2010, 11:10 PM »
1st started when the team murreys hit our shores,can still remember the xmas day my mum and dad wheeled it out into the living room  :smitten: got the hang of things riding over at mill lane purfleet and the bowl at basildon train station. joined canvey roadrunners and then started racing. buckmore, earls court, lee valley and bishop stortford come to mind. ill hold my hand up and admitt i was crap at racing though  ??? spent many an hour in school holidays(and not) riding rom. come to think off it ,it was bmx that got me expelled from school,everything just involved bmx in them days with me couldnt be arsed with school. to this day i still remember me mother waking me 1 evening not long after being chucked out of school to come and watch some guy on the tv doing wheelies with front wheel missing. ill stand to be corrected but i think it was cav strutt?
could shoot myself  :2gunsfiring_v1: for chucking out all my old bmx weekly newspapers from the ol days,would love a read through them now.

top thread aswell  :daumenhoch:  got my old  memory in overdrive.

Rooonga

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2010, 11:53 PM »
Probably Craig Strong doing the wheelie, I remember him stripping his bike as he wheelied.

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2010, 12:05 AM »
cool thread, good to see some pics of you guys first races, i didnt start racing till 84, the only indoor track i raced was in Liphook, in a big barn thing with wooden ramps and sawdust floor!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2010, 01:47 PM »
Probably Craig Strong doing the wheelie, I remember him stripping his bike as he wheelied.

He wheelied round the old Eastway road race circuit at one race I was at with no front wheel, that's over a mile, up hill, down hill and round heaps of corners  :shocked:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2011, 05:02 PM »
My brother and I started racing in 1980.  Southport was the first meet, Three Sisters hadn't been built yet and Chorley had been started but was unfinished.

These are the guys at Southport skate park after the racing.

Pike Mardon, I'm sure this was the same day but different plate, so I could be wrong, still in the early days though
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:04 PM by LucyLastic »

kdubbmx

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2011, 10:25 PM »
214 is Alan Woods.

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2011, 05:36 AM »
Here's a couple of Brandon BMX (1986-87?)

626mongoose

« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Hi Ratty I do remember them ! I was there until my Knee packed in but it was great fun! I raced with all the names listed below and Craig scholfield was in my age group with Matt White and Jason Ramsden. I grow up in Hindley Green near Alan Woods BMX shop which I believe was the first in the country selling Robinsons.
I will see if I can dig out some photos ! my dad still has all the BMX news papers from 1980 to its close and the first issues of BMX Weekly!
Did anyone remember that BMX in the UK started 30 years ago this year!!!!!!
I wasnt at the very first race, in fact my first race was 1981, but how many RAD members did race in 1980?
I can think of a couple.

Lets make this thread a celebration of the first 12 months of UKBMX, post some pics, stories, old articles etc.....

Oh and a big thanks to the pioneers.

Don Smith
Andy Ruffell
Malcolm Jarvis
Alan Woods
Dave Young
Cav Strutt
Richard Barrington etc...

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2011, 10:08 PM »
Nice one~~
Be good to see the old bmx weeklys :daumenhoch:

Oh and welcome to RAD
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Hi Ratty I do remember them ! I was there until my Knee packed in but it was great fun! I raced with all the names listed below and Craig scholfield was in my age group with Matt White and Jason Ramsden. I grow up in Hindley Green near Alan Woods BMX shop which I believe was the first in the country selling Robinsons.
I will see if I can dig out some photos ! my dad still has all the BMX news papers from 1980 to its close and the first issues of BMX Weekly!
Did anyone remember that BMX in the UK started 30 years ago this year!!!!!!
I wasnt at the very first race, in fact my first race was 1981, but how many RAD members did race in 1980?
I can think of a couple.

Lets make this thread a celebration of the first 12 months of UKBMX, post some pics, stories, old articles etc.....

Oh and a big thanks to the pioneers.

Don Smith
Andy Ruffell
Malcolm Jarvis
Alan Woods
Dave Young
Cav Strutt
Richard Barrington etc...
would love to see scans of the BMX News, i had mine until 5 yrs ago when my mum chucked them out  :(

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Brian jones aka 626 Mongoose has kindly forwarded some photos from bitd . enjoy  :daumenhoch:

Brian Jones Mongoose Factory Rider

Team Mongoose

Brian on a redline Ashton 1983

from left to right 506 Craig scholfield 626 Brian jones 772 Matt White

Chorley BMX track 1981

Bishop Stortford 1981

kdubbmx

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2011, 11:00 PM »
Brian Jones was super Quick, seemed to dissapear and leave Schofield to clean up pretty early on.

That picture of him racing Craig was at Ipswich, i was 2 races after this one and have a picture of me hitting the same jump on the same page of BMX NEWS.    :Great_Britain:

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2011, 10:07 PM »
a few more photos from Brian Jones  :daumenhoch:

chorley start gate ,no 3 Jason Ramsdon,626 Brian Jones ,942Jonathan Higgins

Smuggy c**thorpe 506 Craig scholfield ,626 Brian jones and 772 Matt White Below Brian Jones Chorley

Redditch (international) start gate 1 Brian jones, 3 jason Ramsden, 1251 I think was Scott Parker. The other photo is Greg Esser showboating because he was so far in front

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Awesome pics those Lenny ,pass a big  thanks on to Brian for letting you post these up  :4_17_5: :4_17_5:

Love em  :smitten:,,

See if he has any more  :angel: :angel:  :daumenhoch:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Just looking at the Mongoose advert ,,

Did Chris Young used to be be called Chris Bishop ,or is that an editorial mistake  ???

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2011, 10:57 PM »
It was a cock up at the typesetters, why it was ever allowed to go to print!!! :2funny:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2011, 01:28 PM »
I've got quite a few pics of Brian Jones which my dad took.  I must dig them out.  My brother's name (David Westwell) is in the 14s results on those Southport write ups.  Great pics.

626mongoose

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2011, 11:53 AM »
Lucy
Say Hello to Dave your brother and if you get the photos post them so we can all see them.

Thanks Brian

sadowdgit

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Alreet Bri, long time no see pal, hows tricks? what you bin up to? Rammy contacted me tuther day too (we're gonna get out on the mountainbikes soon) :D .... me mate Lenny said he'd been chatting to yer on here so i thought i'd pop in and say hello ;)

hope yer well

Lawy

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2011, 09:12 PM »
hey Tony

Are you talking about Jason Ramsden?  I have some pics of him too :) 

hiya Brian, good to hear from you, fella, I'll load up the ones I've got here in Kent (my mum has 100s) and get them on here this weekend.

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2011, 09:20 PM »
In that last pic is Andy Parr #481.  He's racing now and doing really well.

sadowdgit

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2011, 09:27 PM »
yea Lou i was talking about Jason ramsden :) ... you Ok missus? are you still riding yer mountainbike?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  30 Years of BMX in the UK

gfxgfx
gfx gfx