gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 16, 2024, 12:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Learning the spine..
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Learning the spine..  (Read 5910 times)

Re: Learning the spine..
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 09:59 PM »
If you can find a volcano jump before you try a spine too, might be easyer to learn on - and you can do a slow footplant on a volcano just get used to it too.

What are you classing as a 'volcano' jump?  I always thought from what I picked up from the cool kids that a 'volcano' was when you cleared  'the spine' on a angle kinda carving across it.

All this terminology is hard for a oldy to get back in to!

lodge

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 10:38 PM »
Spine which has a small section of flat on top as opposed to back to back coping.

trickydeno

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 12:20 AM »
I was learning to spine transfer  :daumenhoch:

Right up to the point I snapped three sets of ligaments in my shoulder Oh and damaged two beyond repair so they need replacing, mashed the cartilage in my shoulder socket which I'm waiting for the hospital to grow some replacement (stem cell) for me.

And I’ve not slept in a bed for three months because when I lay down the pain is horrendous even though I’m on slow release morphine patches and whack tramadol down my neck like there smarties

Also I've signed off work now for the past three months

Still could be worse.............I could have took up golf  :2funny:

To be fair mine was a freak accident and the fact I'm 17 stone doesn’t help  :'(

The worse bit for me was getting enough speed up  :2funny: as I said 17 fat fooookin stone  :uglystupid2:

Oh yer and my Clavicle bone is sticking up because the bit it needs to join on to is hanging down by about 1 inch   :idiot2:

fookin ell pete........sounds proper rough mate......hope all comes good fella  ;)

scott250

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 10:22 PM »
If you can find a volcano jump before you try a spine too, might be easyer to learn on - and you can do a slow footplant on a volcano just get used to it too.

What are you classing as a 'volcano' jump?  I always thought from what I picked up from the cool kids that a 'volcano' was when you cleared  'the spine' on a angle kinda carving across it.

All this terminology is hard for a oldy to get back in to!

Well, a spine to me is where two ramps back2back meet at the coping, whereas a volcano is like a spine that has had the two ramps pulled away from each other with some decking between to join them, say about a foot or two.  Well, thats what I though anyway.  I can see why the kids say its a volcano style jump as carving will force a little distance, sort of.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 08:52 AM »
Two things separate the two really, both have been mentioned already. Recently though, kids have been asking me for a third thing so there's a new name being banded about.

So.

A traditional spine must have coping, and those two copings must touch.

A volcano is a spine with a flat top on it, usually 8" - 12" ish wide. It may or may not have coping.

Recently, people have been talking about a 'street spine'. This is simply a volcano without coping.

The name comes from the shape, stand side on and look - the profile of the ramp looks like a volcano...

The technique to get over either is similar, with smaller volcanos being the easier to get over, you can pretty much just monster truck over em if you're determined enough.

Basically though, approach medium speed (not as fast as going at a jump box) and aim for the left or right of centre as is your preference. Work this out beforehand as you want to ride up the ramp and carve slightly your opposite way. As you pop over the top, this slightly sideways orientation will put you in a nice familiar dropping in position to come down t'other side. You need to be in the 'attack position', head and shoulders over the bars, as Scott has said, you must get that front wheel in and you won't do that with your arse hanging over the back wheel. Don't get left behind..

Got to stay loose, and be brave. If you get into the habit of dabbing a foot on the top, it can be a hard habit to break to habit in the future.

Like lots and lots of riders, I just launched to flat the first time just to break the spell and get rid of the fear. But going over these things straight up and down is just bloody hard work. Got to get your carve on   :daumenhoch:

nicklambo

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 03:21 PM »
Learnt to "Rock and roll" on the bike today....(opposite of a disaster)....so that was cool....someone suggested Harpenden spine....any good?

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 04:10 PM »

just remebered the one at creation, aint that big but was ideal for pickle to fall off on, kept us all laughing for hours. we could all sneak off up there for a early sunday morning get together. used to go every sunday morning with old man mark but havent been for ages. anyone up for a sneaky sunday morning wobble ?

scott250

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 09:19 PM »
redcar skatepark has a volcano, with a spine joined onto it ¬

the volcano bit (little Adam 360ing it)

the spine bit(little Adam again turning it down)

the spine bit is kind of skinny, I never bother with it - but the volcanos easy to ride.

scott250

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 09:25 PM »
Ah, and redcars got a micro spine too¬

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Learning the spine..

gfxgfx
gfx gfx