gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975567 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 18, 2024, 09:05 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has it now burst?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Has it now burst?  (Read 4932 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Has it now burst?
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:05 AM »
this OSBMX bubble?

I have not been on much due to personal reasons and come back to find that the selling, trade side has slowed to a stop. I can see some great builds being put in BOTM but these could have been going on for months and just getting finished now.

I know some say that 'it's because of the lovely weather' etc etc but, that was what was said for winter, or christmas, and so on.

I have seen lots of people selling and trying to sell, including myself, with nothing shifting except some very expensive items for a collector/s. I even noticed some of the big buyers/sellers don't even frequent the site hardly anymore.

So, is this it guys? Have we come to a full circle? What's your opinion.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:30 AM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline ash1970

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Has it now burst?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Yes it has.

Ive tried to sell part exchange or swap both my hoffman completes (BD and condor anni) to no avail. I looked at swapping the BD complete for a 2013 specialized hardrock that now retails for 400 quid and the best offer I had for the BD was 350 quid. The flites and powder alone cost me that!! (and I was even offering the bike with the donor bikes parts as well-so basically 2 bikes worth of spares minus one frame) If I was asking for what I outlaid to restore the bike and accepted this figure I would be around 5 or 600 short, maybe a lot more......

Plenty of chancers here but noone serious. A lesson learned.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:33 AM by ash1970 »

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:52 AM »
If you attend the rides, and MK, you'll see that in no way has it burst.

You can't base the popularity of the 'bubble' as you call it (I'd prefer scene myself), purely on sales and how slow, or fast they are.

People just aren't interested in buying your stuff lads.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Don't think the bubble has burst. We seem to be gaining a steady flow of new members and fb is chocca-bloc with bmx enthusiasts and newbies.

See a few Rad members who sell on fb but don't advertise on here. Maybe stuff sells better on there. If so you can't really fault em but doesn't help with the general traffic on here. As said before though for research and general bmx info it's shite. I rarely pass comment on fb, if I see a Radster latest build on fb I'll come on Rad to comment on it.
For ease of use fb is great but anything posted is only momentary whereas Rad is a much more permanent format.

We had a bit of a flurry of activity after the last debate about the slow down on here but that flurry is turning into a trickle again. Think we should all be making much more of an effort to keep this site flowing.  :daumenhoch:

Fook fb, Long live Rad. :4_17_5:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:01 PM »
...guess osbmx goes in cycles :D

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Fook fb, Long live Rad. :4_17_5:

Exactly this.  :daumenhoch:

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 12:10 PM »
This subject comes around every few months. It's not burst it's just going through one of its quieter points.

All the serious builders on here are still around and botm proved it's far from over. The more time moves on the more the build quality improves and I think we are finding truly awesome and unique builds now rather than just your run of the mill stuff.

For weeks there was naff all in the for sale section but last last month there were lots of tasty gear to be had.

People have other things going on in their lives......It'll all change next month.

Steve

griff

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Facebook is ok for banter, sharing photos and 'instant' feedback (as Nick has said) but there's no substitute for the proper forum and the events people actually go to - rides are getting bigger all the time

I'm not doing much right now as I need to find a house to live in - as soon as I have a cave of my own then the one in/one out rule goes out of the window  :teef:

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 12:17 PM »
Not sure how to comment on this really; I started my first resto whilst daydreaming in my own bubble and didn't become aware of RAD or a specific 'scene' until some time after that. I certainly didn't base it on whether there were decent sales or trading going on. I think as long as there are people building bikes and trying to grasp a tiny piece of happier times then this will all continue. The is sufficient market to keep the high-end items changing hands at a premium so there must be others daydreaming in their own bubbles somewhere. The key to that last bit is that everybody has their own opinion on what defines 'high-end'.

Plus, everybody has their own ideas or vision of what they want to build and what they consider their grail bike or associated components, and that may or may not be the same as the items you are trying to sell at any given time. The two builds I am working on currently are what I consider to be my all-time favourite bikes so I am loading them with my own fave parts rather than what seems to be the accepted norm, but after that I have no idea what I will be looking into. Will that be my bubble bursting? Maybe.... but I am building bikes I want to keep, rather than to sell on.
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 12:18 PM »
If OS is dead, I'm in heaven!
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 01:13 PM »
For some it has and for others it's as strong as it always has been, it's a personal thing. Ask the boys in Thailand the same question and they'll laugh at it, their bubble is extremely strong right now.

You'll always feel it's burst if you've personally lost the love for it.
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 01:33 PM »
The real high end stuff will always sell and at good strong prices, I just sold my VDC Gorilla and JMC Andy Patterson (both complete) to the same guy for what some would consider obscene money. Again, I just sold my Haro Gen 1 Freestyler frameset and Gen 1 Sport complete to the same buyer.
As more and more people enter the scene, more and more 'rare' parts are being unearthed thus diluting the 1st stuff found and subsequently devaluing them to a certain degree.
Also, as more people enter the scene, more repops are being made either legit or otherwise again, devaluing the originals.
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 01:55 PM »
What you need is BUBBLE BUDDY  :4_17_5:              
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Agree with Ash !

As long as there are collectors and as long as there is interest, the bubble will continue to evolve.

Just because items don't sell or slow up doesn't shut the door on your hobbie or passion!

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 02:58 PM »
What you need is BUBBLE BUDDY  :4_17_5:              

I like bubble butts.  :P

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Ive been on here since 2006 and even then this question got asked, and every year since......

The bubble has not burst, its just the prices are getting a full on joke, unless you know the know and the people who also know the know, your getting arse raped and after 4 bikes or so, the realisation kicks in that the finished bike is never as good as the chase for its parts.

Pity your about 5k down by then  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Gish

• 540 Air
  • who the fook are you lookin at !!!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Things seem to sell quicker on Facebook simply because their is different forums and not everybody who is into Bmx are on Radbmx
Ride it like its stolen

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 03:15 PM »
I'm not that bothered about it all at the minute. I don't try and sell stuff. Can't be arsed with all the fooking about.

Soooo many nice bits, going rusty....

All that lovely reto work to be done...

it was come around again at some stage...

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 03:22 PM »
It's certainly not dead on the East Coast! :) Can't beat the regular coffee & biscuits mornings with the lads. I'm also gonna one day build an uber rare 70's SE that'll blow Ash's old collection into the weeds!!! :P

Once I know wot I'm looking for....... :/  :)

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 03:25 PM »
It's certainly not dead on the East Coast! :) Can't beat the regular coffee & biscuits mornings with the lads. I'm also gonna one day build an uber rare 70's SE that'll blow Ash's old collection into the weeds!!! :P

Once I know wot I'm looking for....... :/  :)

have you been smoking again?

:nickswan:

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 03:33 PM »
How rude!!!  :crazy2:

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 03:53 PM »
I see in many posts how people new to the hobby seem more than happy to put re issued parts on to a frame.  Dia compe brakes, various companies seats etc...Maybe others are just looking  to nab a real bargin so will wait.  I'm sure things will pick up again :)
Neil

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 04:06 PM »

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 05:03 PM »
I Buy, Buy, Buy sold a few recently got what i wanted for most of it, if its quality it will sell, ifso called bubble's burst i'll still be buying but for cheaper money  "wantit"
Jono

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I think the market has dropped for ropey seats, used brake blocks, balding tyres, bent to fook rims, near scrap pedals and filthy grips with smashed in ends.  In the short time I've been on here the demand for rider parts seems to have dropped, whereas the mint / NOS / rare market seems fairly buoyant........ List a set of NOS 9/16 DX on eBay and watch them fly........ List a set of 1/2" needing resto and they might reach £50.......

A lot of what I see touted on various forums, eBay etc is barely fit for the bin, let alone a rider, but people still want daft money.  Put it on eBay and see the real value.  I think that the scene is just evolving the same as the classic car / bike market did.  I'll pay top money for top parts, but could post more than a few pictures of supposed mint parts that have been far from it (as we probably all could) Its never a good thing to lose a few quid, but reality is that expectation often clouds reality when it comes to prices and people have to really understand that basic economics dictates that demand is directly linked to price.  I price stuff to sell - generally it does.  Better in my bank for a tenner less than I bought it than sat on a shelf gathering dust.  Just saying.......
You always need a cheese option......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has it now burst?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx