gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 16, 2024, 07:34 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Facebook slowly strangling this site?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Facebook slowly strangling this site?  (Read 13068 times)

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
Re: Facebook slowly strangling this site?
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2014, 06:26 PM »
I think Radbmx is a strong Forum, the questions I am asking myself are:-

1.   Does it need FB ... No
2.   Would it suffer without FB... No
3.   Does it compete with FB for members... No
4.   Do I feel my SST is worth it .... Absolutely Yes
5.   If FB shut down would it bother me... No..

Do I feel enough emphasis is directed at the right kind of posts on here... No I don't but that's my thoughts.

Live life as young as you can, for as long as you can

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2014, 11:40 PM »
"cutting your nose off to spite your face" comes to mind  ::)

As said already, if you shut it down people will trade on other groups and still not come on here. New Rad FB members need to be directed to the main site.

I like the idea of limited access to the forum for non-SST's. But by that i mean.... they should be able to view everything (so they can see what they're missing) but not be able to comment/reply on anything or most importantly they can't PM members (so they can't buy direct or get mates to do it for them). I also think SST's should be reduced for international members as they are not likely to benefit as much as the natives (i.e. Not likely to attend MK, may not buy as much due to shipping costs). This may also help the number of 'over night' guests to become members as i'm guessing 95% of these people are overseas viewers, hence the time  :-\

I very much agree with the importance of the 'time line / reference' enteries being made more informative. And with the rise and rise of the snide/repop shite, there needs to be a 'spot the difference' on that to safe guard everyone (myself included)

I've been a member on here for several years as most will know and this place will always be my home. But for me Faceache has opened my little niche to a new level which Rad couldn't do. I did try and start a VDC register on here and had to beg people to add pic's of their rides  "nono"
When i've gathered enough info, i'll reboot the thread and hopefully bring all my FB group members with me  :daumenhoch:

I think Rad is entering a new stage, a lot of knowledge of the past 'Masters of Rad' has slipped for whatever reason so info is easier/quicker found on FB for now until people find their feet.

Put RetroDan back in charge on the "babe of the day" thead and stop him starting stupid question threads in the lounge  :knuppel2:

Keep it  :radbmxsmilie:
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline E5_DCB

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2014, 12:03 AM »
I think most forums are suffering because of face book. A car site I use where you pay to sell like on here is dead now since they started a fb group where you can do it all for free.
Not been on here for a little while as wasn't doing any builds but it does seems a bit quieter than it was. Was a member before the crash and lost my account so had to sign up again last year.

But hey paid up again and hopefully will find the parts I need to finish the build.  :radbmxsmilie:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:06 AM by E5_DCB »

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2014, 06:41 AM »

Put RetroDan back in charge on the "babe of the day" thead and stop him starting stupid question threads in the lounge  :knuppel2:

It's easy to be a critic Steve, but the 'stupid question threads' as you call them are my way of trying to add a bit of flavour to the forum, and keep momentum and activity going, and I was doing this way before being a Mod.

Sadly, whether it due to whatever reason, builds and resto threads aren't getting posted up 365 days of the year, so I feel it's important to have daft/normal/real/non BMX stuff to bind all the BMX stuff when it does appear.

But, by all means, you can add to your 39 other threads you've started off you like?  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2014, 07:08 AM »

It's easy to be a critic Steve, but the 'stupid question threads' as you call them are my way of trying to add a bit of flavour to the forum, and keep momentum and activity going, and I was doing this way before being a Mod.

Sadly, whether it due to whatever reason, builds and resto threads aren't getting posted up 365 days of the year, so I feel it's important to have daft/normal/real/non BMX stuff to bind all the BMX stuff when it does appear.

But, by all means, you can add to your 39 other threads you've started off you like?  :daumenhoch:

You a bit touchy this morning Dan  :LolLolLolLol:

You might get a good nights sleep in a years time (congratulations by the way 👍)

It was just a light hearted note to end on, not a criticism.

That's an interesting number of thread starters from myself, is that on this version of Rad or in the 7 years I've been a member ?
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2014, 07:24 AM »
I've seen several times that RAD is a 'great reference site' ...

We could stop any access unless you register ... and then ( as Mr rodriguez said ) limit access to other areas of the site as well as sales until you buy an SST.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2014, 07:27 AM »
If we ban Spacebook PKRipster will be back ...  :-X

;D

Dylan Thomas

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2014, 07:49 AM »
we need to shut ebay down too

Dylan Thomas

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2014, 08:43 AM »

If there aren't as many builds and resto threads... what about more focus on everything else to do with BMX - guys from BitD still riding, interviews, magazine scans, the characters, the lifestyle, meet-ups, riding, skills etc etc.  There's a lot of us not into the polishing/ebay-wars/money making side of it that actively participate in the living, breathing, evolving sport.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2014, 08:47 AM »

If there aren't as many builds and resto threads... what about more focus on everything else to do with BMX - guys from BitD still riding, interviews, magazine scans, the characters, the lifestyle, meet-ups, riding, skills etc etc.  There's a lot of us not into the polishing/ebay-wars/money making side of it that actively participate in the living, breathing, evolving sport.

Yep, good call Jon, anything to keep people interested and generate forum activity is good IMO.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Noticed recently that non SST members can post in the wanted section. If they can't buy in the for sale section how come they can post in the wanted section.   ???
A lot of folk here have built up an extensive catalogue of technical and reference information over the years so perhaps limiting access is the way forward.
Its like giving the company secrets away... we may be setting ourselves up for an hostile takeover by the radburnerbmxsaleschatmuseumsocietythistimenextyeari'llbeamillionaire facebook group.  :D  :LolLolLolLol:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2014, 09:17 AM »
 :LolLolLolLol:   no he's banned  ;D

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2014, 11:15 AM »
This all reminds me of that King Canute fella ... he had about as much luck.

I don't see any problem at all with the forum 'being quiet' ... I don't think it is even ... but it is what it is! ... I certainly would not want to encourage some of the twats I see on facebook over here.

We just need to keep on doing what we are already doing and linking things in to RAD and let things happen if they want to. Stopping sales on the RAD facebook page just gives SkywaySteff more ammo to have a pop with ... personally I'm about on both sites and don't really see that there's any problem. Old Steff said he was gonna blow us out the water with his forum which went down in flames before it even started ... we are still here doing what we do ... nothing is going to stop that  :laugh:

Let just let it all be what it wants to be ... everything irie.

:daumenhoch:

:LolLolLolLol:  and you know this would've been screen dumped into his photobucket of awesoneness  ;D

Offline Mat

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2014, 11:18 AM »
I like this place as most people are about the same age & have similar interests, & like a bit of nostalgia.

Dont do Facebook but most other forums I'm on (mainly footy & cars) have a real broad spread of ages, & I reckon this place is friendlier for everybody being about 40, theres not many teenage nobheads.

Ive got loads of BMXs & like the bike chat, but prefer the zombie/pet/beer/fanny/music banter if I'm honest. 

I like to hear other peoples views on zombies, pets, beer, fanny & music. :daumenhoch: :-*

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2014, 06:40 PM »

Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2014, 06:47 PM »
I've protested against the FB page for ages now, and been ignored.

There's absolutely no need for it whatsoever NOW.

Close it and drive the serious BMX collectors/enthusiasts/riders back here.

It's THAT simple.

:radbmxsmilie:

whos the man with the delete button Dan  ??? 

i think he needs a wee nudge  :-X

Griff and Ed control it mate.
too right Dan,RAD is a graveyard these days and im not on facebook,get RAD back to RAD :daumenhoch:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2014, 06:53 PM »
I've protested against the FB page for ages now, and been ignored.

There's absolutely no need for it whatsoever NOW.

Close it and drive the serious BMX collectors/enthusiasts/riders back here.

It's THAT simple.

:radbmxsmilie:

whos the man with the delete button Dan  ??? 

i think he needs a wee nudge  :-X

Griff and Ed control it mate.
too right Dan,RAD is a graveyard these days and im not on facebook,get RAD back to RAD :daumenhoch:

Soz Marky mate, it's with us now, and out of my hands.

I'm just accepting it now, and trying to contribute, it feels like I'm cheating on the Mrs though, a bit naughty like.  :whistle:

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2014, 07:53 PM »
So guys,

5 pages in now, lots of valid points raised, the pole looks pretty comprehensive

Conclusion time.... :police:    what you doing, it's now or never in my book lads.
Live life as young as you can, for as long as you can

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Noticed recently that non SST members can post in the wanted section. If they can't buy in the for sale section how come they can post in the wanted section.   ???
A lot of folk here have built up an extensive catalogue of technical and reference information over the years so perhaps limiting access is the way forward.
Its like giving the company secrets away... we may be setting ourselves up for an hostile takeover by the radburnerbmxsaleschatmuseumsocietythistimenextyeari'llbeamillionaire facebook group.  :D  :LolLolLolLol:

Agree here. If they want to post a wanted ad then they should be SST.
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2014, 09:37 PM »
I use both. If the Facebook site disappeared I wouldn't loose any sleep loose any sleep over it
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2014, 11:09 PM »
So guys,

5 pages in now, lots of valid points raised, the pole looks pretty comprehensive

Conclusion time.... :police:    what you doing, it's now or never in my book lads.

Spot on. Can't have a general election without electing....
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline wilsey72

• Team Moderator
  • 900 Air
  • Thats corn that is.
  • Rated:
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2014, 11:52 PM »
I've not posted my thoughts about the FB group before because I don't understand the hatred for it.
I joined RAD before FB group was started. I like the page because I'm a FB user, I can get a quick fix as and when, but if I want to buy I go on the forum, if I'm stuck with anything I go on the forum, if I want some banter I go on the forum, if I want ideas I go on the forum, I don't really sell (it upsets me after) if I have a question about something non bmx I go on the forum!
I use it a lot, I love it.
It upsets me when I read "RAD is just a pay to sell site" shut up! it's a wonderful forum (the best) with everything you need to know (and more) in one place!
FB is just a quick fix...!!!
I do not understand the argument in fact.... don't think there is one!
GLOUCESTER RIDE 28th July 2018

griff

« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2014, 11:57 PM »
Since the poll was allegedly started 'for fun' and doesn't end until the 27th I think you're being a bit premature expecting any kind of result tbh

I would quite happily support a move to ban sales on the group page unless people have a link to the sale section here, it was like that before and would take no more effort than it does to constantly tell people to put prices up etc
I imagine that people currently selling on there will give out a bit of flak for that (as before) but to be fair to SST holders there is a logic to that. Don't expect that these sale posts will magically appear here though as a result.

I absolutely don't believe that shutting the group page down will somehow 'drive people back here'. It really isn't that simple and if you think that the 2,700-odd people that are in the group won't simply switch to the countless other FB BMX groups instead then you're kidding yourself. Times change and whether FB goes the way of Myspace and is replaced by Ello or something people will use whatever suits them. FB is very handy for organising events - it helped us get a load of people out in London at short notice and gained us a few new members & already has helped get the Summer ride organised with people potentially coming from other countries.

What keeps this place going is the brilliant community of people, if you want it to be more lively then contribute something instead of moaning, maybe go and welcome a new member - if you use the FB group then point people here but simply deleting a group isn't going to solve anything. The amount of energy expended on this thread alone shows that there are plenty of people in here with something to say (unlike many other traditional forums that have sadly turned to dust). I'm still seeing lots of new people join and as far as I'm aware there's no immediate danger of the Rad pot being decimated and putting MK in jeopardy.

I'm off to bed now - night night all  :)

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2014, 06:44 AM »
......um, I didn't set it up

Thanks

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2014, 07:46 AM »
It is was it is............leave it be

It's great for people who want to sell their shyte without the need to pay £10 for the privilege  (that's probably how they see it)  it also hits a huge amount of people right away so sell stuff quicker (unless you've added too many 00 on the end)  ;D  or for banging up a POS for raffle so you can get twice what anyone would pay for it  :daumenhoch:

From what i remember Stodgy saying last year, i don't think you can actually delete a group once there's a certain amount of members??   ???

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Facebook slowly strangling this site?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx