gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975593 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 03, 2024, 10:04 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Facebook slowly strangling this site?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Facebook slowly strangling this site?  (Read 12970 times)

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Facebook slowly strangling this site?
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2014, 12:52 AM »
I think the main reason that the site is slow these days to a lot of us is years ago it was either rad ' the burner forum or the museum.
That was it for most of us for our bmx fix.
These days you've got so many more things to look at bmx wise which has gotta slow all these forums up a bit.
Tbh I don't think shutting down the Facebook page will make one bit of difference  to here.
Stopping sales on the rad page will do nothing as there's plenty more you can use instead so can't see what good that will do.
Think it's just the way thing and not a lot is gonna make a penth of difference.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2014, 04:05 AM »
I think the main reason that the site is slow these days to a lot of us is years ago it was either rad ' the burner forum or the museum.
That was it for most of us for our bmx fix.
These days you've got so many more things to look at bmx wise which has gotta slow all these forums up a bit.
Tbh I don't think shutting down the Facebook page will make one bit of difference  to here.
Stopping sales on the rad page will do nothing as there's plenty more you can use instead so can't see what good that will do.
Think it's just the way thing and not a lot is gonna make a penth of difference.

I have to agree. With almost everyone owning a smart type phone nowadays, accessing apps/websites like facebook is just so easy. I find myself scrolling through it at work when I'm on my break. It becomes a habit/routine and doesn't require any zooming in on the page or any effort. It's easy and instant. Rad and other forum based sites just cannot compete in the same way, however forums are a fantastic resource if you want more that a 'what's this worth/for sale ad'.  I do look on the facebook page, and have bought some great items  through it, so it certainly has it's benefits. I've had a bit of a whinge before about people putting items up for sale on facebook, but not on the main site. Ok, so facebook is easier, and I know many of us have busy lives, but taking a few minutes to post things up on the main site doesn't take that much time, and once it's there, be it a for sale thread/question/build thread etc. it can be viewed days, months or even years later. How many of us owe a great deal of thanks to the person who may have posted a 'how to' thread years ago. Dyeing grips, seats, Z Rims, spoke length calculators etc. I voted to keep the facebook page, as I think it does have it's uses and anything that attracts new people to the hobby should be welcomed and embraced. I don't think that deleting the facebook page will help the main forum - many people will stick with the easy/quick route and post their items for sale/threads on other facebook pages. I think that people should just take a second to think about the bigger picture before taking the 'easier' option and only posting on facebook

Offline flippi

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #202 on: October 25, 2014, 08:38 AM »
just a small note to add on this point.... if u do shut down the facebook page there is every chance u will strengthen the spin off pages.... the debate has certainly made me come back to have another look at what goes on here.... just keep banging on about about rad being the true home of uk bmx... u'll never beat the quick fix of facebook but u this isnt about a quick fix.... keep doing what u do best as u guys are the driving force behind the uk scene.

top work ... keep it up

PK flipper

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2014, 08:42 AM »
just a small note to add on this point.... if u do shut down the facebook page there is every chance u will strengthen the spin off pages.... the debate has certainly made me come back to have another look at what goes on here.... just keep banging on about about rad being the true home of uk bmx... u'll never beat the quick fix of facebook but u this isnt about a quick fix.... keep doing what u do best as u guys are the driving force behind the uk scene.

top work ... keep it up

PK flipper

Great feedback for the forum mate, cheers.  :angel:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2014, 08:51 AM »
I have said before that FB is not a problem for me, it is another avenue to rad and other groups of interest.

To be honest Rad is not in competition with these other groups as they do not have the history, information or resources we do.  It is really easy to open a FB group and then to populate it with loads of members to look successful.  However it is difficult to also run a very successful forum alongside.

I remember having a discussion with a banned member about FB groups and he was banging on about his group is more successful than this site as he has 2.5k members and rad only has 2k members.  Thing is every rad FB member has asked to be a member, whereas he just randomly adds people to his whether they want to be a member or not.  Hell the idiot even added me and most of the rad admin team.... what a fooking twonk.

I do however want to limit sales to the forum only, I know there are other places for selling goods on FB and that is the point, mostly every sale on rads FB group are on every other selling place too, it makes no difference if we limit sales to this site or not.  However, if a person only wants be part of our FB group to sell there crap then I don't really want them as a member.  Plus if part of the SST we all pay yearly is to be able to sell on rad, then why should somebody who doesn't pay towards the site upkeep etc benefit as much as our SST's?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:00 AM by stidds »

griff

« Reply #205 on: October 25, 2014, 10:18 AM »
I have said before that FB is not a problem for me, it is another avenue to rad and other groups of interest.

To be honest Rad is not in competition with these other groups as they do not have the history, information or resources we do.  It is really easy to open a FB group and then to populate it with loads of members to look successful.  However it is difficult to also run a very successful forum alongside.

I remember having a discussion with a banned member about FB groups and he was banging on about his group is more successful than this site as he has 2.5k members and rad only has 2k members.  Thing is every rad FB member has asked to be a member, whereas he just randomly adds people to his whether they want to be a member or not.  Hell the idiot even added me and most of the rad admin team.... what a fooking twonk.

I do however want to limit sales to the forum only, I know there are other places for selling goods on FB and that is the point, mostly every sale on rads FB group are on every other selling place too, it makes no difference if we limit sales to this site or not.  However, if a person only wants be part of our FB group to sell there crap then I don't really want them as a member.  Plus if part of the SST we all pay yearly is to be able to sell on rad, then why should somebody who doesn't pay towards the site upkeep etc benefit as much as our SST's?

:daumenhoch:
It's true, we have seen other groups 'harvesting' members by actively going round the members of rad one & others, simply press-ganging people in. I'm not talking about those set up by good mates btw, I don't mind being added to those but I've no interest in joining sales groups simply set up to try and put the forum out of business or feed someone's ego. Rather than indulge in some kind of willy waving exercise about how many members we have, we just let people sign up because they want to. What makes me laugh is when you then see the owners or admins of the groups trying to offload their tat on the rad one - talk about fishing from the same pond!

Agree that taking sales off would probably be a good idea, only thing I would add is that to be fair to sst holders who want to be able to use FB too is that they should be allowed to continue to sell on there if they have it up on here too (with a link to the sales post). Not going to chop & change every 5 minutes though as I'll no doubt get grief for it but if that seems to sit right with people it can easily be sorted and I don't mind policing it  :teef: :police:

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #206 on: October 25, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Had a butchers at the fb page after reading this thread, there's some right shite for sale on there  ;D

2 minutes turkish...

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #207 on: October 25, 2014, 10:56 AM »
SSt holders who want to be able to use FB too, should be allowed to continue to sell on there if they have it up on here (with a link to the sales post). If that seems to sit right with people, it can easily be sorted, and I don't mind policing it  :teef: :police:
That's good for me John. There are plenty of other sites to sell on, although I only use Rad, The Museum and Lee's page for that purpose. There is always Ebay to sell on too, so plenty of choice  :)
BANNED

Offline Gish

• 540 Air
  • who the fook are you lookin at !!!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #208 on: October 25, 2014, 10:59 AM »
Yeah put a block on things getting sold on the FB page.

If people wanna sell to rad members then at least they will need to pay/have a SST to do this, it can't make the forum sales page any slower can it  ???

Then if people query why they can't sell on FB page then direct them to forum  :)
Ride it like its stolen

griff

« Reply #209 on: October 25, 2014, 11:20 AM »

If people wanna sell to rad members then at least they will need to pay/have a SST to do this, it can't make the forum sales page any slower can it  ???

Then if people query why they can't sell on FB page then direct them to forum  :)

Exactly, any links from there to here can only increase traffic
Of course if the same items go on 10 other FB groups at the same time then it makes no difference, but if I have anything to sell I would always offer it up here first on principle (not that anyone wants my shite  :teef:)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #210 on: October 25, 2014, 11:23 AM »
Personally, I rarely buy off the FB groups, all my purchases are off here from valued and trusted members, and it's the trust aspect you get on the forum that needs to be underlined.

Let's face it, we don't really need a messers thread anymore, not for transactions on the forum anyway, we're all brothers on here, we don't Sh!t on our own.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Gish

• 540 Air
  • who the fook are you lookin at !!!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #211 on: October 25, 2014, 12:03 PM »

Exactly, any links from there to here can only increase traffic
Of course if the same items go on 10 other FB groups at the same time then it makes no difference, but if I have anything to sell I would always offer it up here first on principle (not that anyone wants my shite  :teef:)

Get it put into action Griff, the sooner the better  :daumenhoch:
Ride it like its stolen

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #212 on: October 25, 2014, 12:14 PM »
SSt holders who want to be able to use FB too, should be allowed to continue to sell on there if they have it up on here (with a link to the sales post). If that seems to sit right with people, it can easily be sorted, and I don't mind policing it  :teef: :police:
That's good for me John. There are plenty of other sites to sell on, although I only use Rad, The Museum and Lee's page for that purpose. There is always Ebay to sell on too, so plenty of choice  :)

I agree boys, I should have said then that selling on FB should be a privilege/benefit of forum members with a SST.

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #213 on: October 25, 2014, 01:27 PM »
I think it's going to be very hard to police if you only let people sell if they link to here.
FB is so instant you will need a few more mods to keep an eye on the posts 24/7.
But it's a great idea and hopefully will make our sales page a lot busier

griff

« Reply #214 on: October 25, 2014, 01:36 PM »
I think it's going to be very hard to police if you only let people sell if they link to here.
FB is so instant you will need a few more mods to keep an eye on the posts 24/7.
But it's a great idea and hopefully will make our sales page a lot busier

don't you worry about that ;)
will probably be easier than constantly moaning at people to add prices

griff

« Reply #215 on: October 25, 2014, 02:04 PM »
OK then peeps - the FB page is once again a SST only selling zone

If I'm honest I don't expect the page to be inundated with links to this place but at least we are being fairer to tag holders now
Of course that's not to say that people without tags won't buy stuff, but it's up to sellers who they want to sell to and hopefully community spirit will prevail

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #216 on: October 25, 2014, 02:10 PM »
Good work John.  :4_17_5: :daumenhoch:

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #217 on: October 25, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Well done John, 

FB page is there to just to peek in and off course bring in new friends to join the Big Forum.

Good decision for the SST Members and the Radbmx Forum .... :4_17_5:

Live life as young as you can, for as long as you can

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #218 on: October 25, 2014, 05:16 PM »
can I sell my Ugg boots and Raybans on there?
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #219 on: October 25, 2014, 06:47 PM »
can I sell my Ugg boots and Raybans on there?
:nickswan:
BANNED

leehunt1

« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2014, 07:05 PM »
......um, I didn't set it up

Thanks

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Online CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #221 on: October 26, 2014, 09:08 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #222 on: October 26, 2014, 09:30 PM »
I agree with with making the FB page sales only for the SST holders. good work John.
Dont know if this has been said already but FB and pages alike are easy to use due to smart phone apps so is it possible to make a RAD app?
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1
Vincent Freestylers Gen 1 and Gen 2

Offline bmxband1t77

• Cherry Picker
  • '77 a good year (Star Wars-Punk) but not my DOB.
  • Rated:
« Reply #223 on: October 26, 2014, 11:17 PM »
Wow what a huge MASSDEBATE.......allover the face.......................book.

From iThing Apple Alien Tech on Tapatalk

griff

« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2014, 11:39 PM »
I agree with with making the FB page sales only for the SST holders. good work John.
Dont know if this has been said already but FB and pages alike are easy to use due to smart phone apps so is it possible to make a RAD app?

It certainly has Craig
All app developers please form an orderly queue!
The successful applicant will however be expected to work long hours for fook all  :teef:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Facebook slowly strangling this site?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx