gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975555 Posts in 138923 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 11, 2024, 05:37 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Facebook slowly strangling this site?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Facebook slowly strangling this site?  (Read 12747 times)

Offline JimBowen

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Facebook slowly strangling this site?
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 11:11 PM »
Facebook stinks of Dog sh1 t :10_2_12:

Fu ck it off and the people and sales will flood back to the site ^"^

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 11:17 PM »
In my humble opinion binning off the FB group is just like sticking your head in the sand and hoping the problem goes away by itself - it won't!

The fact that we admit there is a 'problem' seems a good enough reason to review the benifits of the Facebook page.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 11:20 PM »
The voting speaks for itself.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

griff

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 11:23 PM »
In my humble opinion binning off the FB group is just like sticking your head in the sand and hoping the problem goes away by itself - it won't!

The fact that we admit there is a 'problem' seems a good enough reason to review the benifits of the Facebook page.

The 'problem' I am referring to is the growth of social media in general and widespread changes in people's surfing habits, not specifically the rad FB group.
Just for fun I've started a poll over on there to try and get some feedback on how many people use both or just the FB page.

Look forward to all the comments when people discover the new Rad twitter account

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 11:25 PM »
#cantwait

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 11:27 PM »
Understand what you are saying about using it to organise a ride out for example,but you can easily set up a dedicated page to help spread the word about that and link to it from here.

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 11:28 PM »
Griff , I can see your points but to be perfectly honest Rad is Rad and belongs at  :radbmxsmilie: not on some social media drivel . If someone wants to join one of the many cast off FB groups well that's there choice but let's keep RAD forum based .  As for people finding the RAD FB page before joining here , that maybe true but let's face it, if your into this hobby it ain't going to be long before you find or are directed to the UK's biggest and best old school BMX FORUM !!  ;)

Just my opinion ........ but i hate fookin facebook anyway !!  :D
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 11:29 PM »

The 'problem' I am referring to is the growth of social media in general and widespread changes in people's surfing habits, not specifically the rad FB group.
Just for fun I've started a poll over on there to try and get some feedback on how many people use both or just the FB page.

Look forward to all the comments when people discover the new Rad twitter account

The poll on FB will only prove that the people that vote for 'I only come here' are either banned members, flippers or people too lazy to register.  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 11:32 PM »
The voting speaks for itself.  :daumenhoch:

It certainly does
You should see how many people have voted on FB already :teef:

Let's see how many new members we can get on here then  :daumenhoch:

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 11:49 PM »
Wasn't having a go griff just merely making a point. Sorry if you thought I was.

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 11:50 PM »
i did nt even have to think about my decision .

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 12:06 AM »
The trouble with Facebook, anybody can open a page and call it something BMX related. Once they have done that, they invite everybody from the other pages. Before you know it, you have a large number of pages in your group list which you can spend all night looking through. When someone posts on one page, you get to know about it. You go take a look, before you know, the night has gone and another night wasted away from this Forum.

BANNED

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 12:20 AM »
Since no one wants to say it, I will, that horse has bolted .  Maybe shutting down the fb page may have worked once but there are others skyway mans and some bloke off Facebooks to name a few.  Without the fb page you would be foolish to believe that people will just come on here instead, it won't happen, they who prefer fb will just use the other sites instead .  It would be great if we were all on here, but closing the sister page to this won't make that happen the Facebook page should be an advert for the forum bringing more to the page and closing it will send them to the other pages where radbmx will never get mentioned,in fact more likely discouraged and slagged off, ironically I found this page when forum went down 18months ago and fb page started and if it wasn't for the fb page I would never have found this site and had it wasn't there as most of you want I would probably never know about it.  If people aren't using this page. I much prefer it on here but the fact is losing rad fb will make no difference at all.  I'm just saying it as I see it so please don't shoot the messenger
Jono

griff

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2014, 12:21 AM »
For those of you not on Facebook

The vast majority of people that have voted say they use both

Out of the few people that say they only use FB, one of them was a major sponsor of MK (mr Porkchop) and another has pledged to give the forum another go

Jono made a point about how he wouldn't have found the forum without FB (well maybe he would, but probably not as fast)

I stand by what I've said, the best thing people on here can do to make the forum better is to simply spend more time reading & posting, you're not going to make the place more attractive or welcoming by deleting a Facebook group. Nothing will stop me from coming on here but as long as the FB group continues to run I'll do what I can to let people know there's a proper forum here full of useful info and top blokes
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:31 AM by griff »

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2014, 12:28 AM »
And if more votes are cast on this subject than are cast on everyone's hard work building bikes for botm Then that would be a real shame and may be the real problem right there we all have posted photos and comments on hear and seen 100+ views only to have 1 or 2 comments maybe site supporter doesn't just mean paying a tenner and more paying attention to others inputs too
Jono

Offline dp and chopper dude

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 12:39 AM »
What about using the facebook page to advertise sneak previews of things on here like BOTM and the sale page but direct them back here to get all the juicy bits that we all enjoy. Obviously letting people vote on BOTM on facebook would be daft but putting one picture of each entry might get people to come on to see the rest of the pictures to have a vote and a nosy round while they're here.

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 12:47 AM »
What about using the facebook page to advertise sneak previews of things on here like BOTM and the sale page but direct them back here to get all the juicy bits that we all enjoy. Obviously letting people vote on BOTM on facebook would be daft but putting one picture of each entry might get people to come on to see the rest of the pictures to have a vote and a nosy round while they're here.

No we're talking links from here on there would definitely be a plus fore the forum, great shout lets encourage them onto here rather that try and get rid of the competition
Jono

griff

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 12:52 AM »

That does go on with links to BOTM, also some people post pics of stuff for sale and include a link back to the forum. Anything that drives traffic back here can only be a good thing

griff

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 01:03 AM »
Wasn't having a go griff just merely making a point. Sorry if you thought I was.

Sorry Steve in all the excitement I missed this earlier.
Didn't think that at al mate, just didn't want anyone to misconstrue what I was saying  ;)

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 01:09 AM »
For those of you not on Facebook

The vast majority of people that have voted say they use both

Out of the few people that say they only use FB, one of them was a major sponsor of MK (mr Porkchop) and another has pledged to give the forum another go

Jono made a point about how he wouldn't have found the forum without FB (well maybe he would, but probably not as fast)

I stand by what I've said, the best thing people on here can do to make the forum better is to simply spend more time reading & posting, you're not going to make the place more attractive or welcoming by deleting a Facebook group. Nothing will stop me from coming on here but as long as the FB group continues to run I'll do what I can to let people know there's a proper forum here full of useful info and top blokes

That's all well and good Griff ......... us loyal RAD forum users will continue to keep the original site ticking over while all the Rad facebook users continue to benefit from sales we never see , ride out pictures we never see  and general Rad banter we never see  ::) !!  All that should be on here not FB .

That is by no means a dig at you personally mate , far from it as you are a regular on here but there's far too many old forum members who contribute to the FB pages and to be brutally honest couldn't give a flying fook what is happening on here .  They are also the one's who are first to moan ' oh the Rad site is quiet ' or will be the first one's complaining when they need to do a bit of research for a build and they can't find it because RAD is no more . There's no history on Facebook !!  I said 18 months ago FB will be the death of this place and upto now i ain't seen anything to make me change my mind . One things for sure though I'll be one of the last out the door when they turn the fookin lights out . Oh and i won't be joining no social media shite instead ...... i'd rather have a season ticket for the rats than go down that route  :D

Im off to bed now  .......... after i have checked what everyone has had for supper on my FB page  :whistle:

WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2014, 01:14 AM »
As above I think improving what we already have on rad to start off with and be a bit more welcoming to noobs even if they just join up to find the value etc , I find some a bit harsh to noobs even if they are just wanting values etc you never know we were all noobs once , I think a massive thing would be to get the parts date info of the site up properly it got started and a few have put some pics up but no real info in it , I do think there's a gap there as bmx museum reference info used to be quite good but that's not the same now and martins bike has gone now , the frameworks all there ready in the parts section on rad but it just has random photos in which aren't really any help to anyone but I believe we could make the reference section the best as combined on here the members have really all the parts and the combined knowledge on here it could be great , like ages of the parts how they changed how long in production etc

griff

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 01:30 AM »
there's far too many old forum members who contribute to the FB pages and to be brutally honest couldn't give a flying fook what is happening on here . 

One things for sure though I'll be one of the last out the door when they turn the fookin lights out .

Agree with most of what you've said Joffy, all I'm saying is deleting the rad FB page won't do anything to suddenly make lazy or uncaring people suddenly start giving a fook or wanting to post pictures or start sales threads, if people want to offload their tat on FB there are dozens of places to do that - largely comprised of rad members  :teef:

It would be nice if everything stayed within the rad community but times have changed, as for your last comment I'll be there with you mate, I love this place and don't intend on leaving any time soon

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 03:28 AM »
I don't think there's any question of removing the Face Book page, it is what it is. Think of the forum as the club and the FB page as the boys own-esq magazine. I personally don't think it's had as much impact as some of you seem to think, the site's just as busy as it was this time 3 years ago and we were complaining about how quite it was getting back then too.

The site and the FB page are but tools we use sitting in our arm chairs, where it's really at are the meetings, the ride outs, the parks, the tracks, the trails, grinding kerbs out on the street or maybe the chase for parts, bikes hanging from the rafters , starting that build or will I ever finish that build the way I wanted it in the first place without breaking the bank.

The Face book page is just another thing.

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2014, 06:29 AM »
Loose it, shut it down. One site.
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Ok, how about a compromise, NO sales on the FB page, ALL sales must be via the forum and MUST be completed by SST holders using the forum?

We could at least trial this.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Facebook slowly strangling this site?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx