gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975609 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 17, 2024, 05:13 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Seatpost shims
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Seatpost shims  (Read 415 times)

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Seatpost shims
« on: October 23, 2014, 04:18 PM »
Has anyone got any good tips to stop a bmx seatpost moving around?

I have the same problem on 2 bmxs. On my freestyler I'm using a normal post and it moves around left to right and on the last ride out the post dropped downwards into the frame. I'm using a dia compe mx clamp.

Someone told me to use a bit of drinks can to make a shim. So I've cut out a bit of Stella can and wrapped it around the post before sliding it in place. It's much tighter going in, but even with the clamp tight it doesn't take much force to move the seat left and right, which makes me think on a ride it's going to work it's way down again.

On my lasses burner, she's using an alloy shim on the 28mm hole to use a 22mm layback post. Hers was moving badly, but on the last ride out we did, someone wrapped the post in black electrical tape and pushed it back in as a quick bodge for the day, but this actually worked great and it's solid.

So, has anyone got any good methods of fixing a post in place? and also how tight are yous going with your seat clamps? I'm going as tight as I dare but I don't want to go too far and snap something.

rodriguez

Re: Seatpost shims
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:31 PM »
You could use a thicker shim and try a different clamp than the DC, overtighten the DC clamp and it will break or damage the frame.

The Mk1 clamp probably isn't able to get tight enough, did there not used to alloy clamps for the MK1.

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:45 PM »
It's a basic poor quality clamp on the mk1 burner, I don't know of any aftermarket ones that fit the bigger seatposts on those models.

I am worried about over tightening the clamp on the Haro.

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:08 PM »
You can get the bigger size alloy seatclamps for Burners on eBay,Do a search I think they are made by Landar.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Seatpost shims

gfxgfx
gfx gfx