gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975593 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 04, 2024, 02:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  First Build - Period Part Selection Help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: First Build - Period Part Selection Help  (Read 7554 times)

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: First Build - Period Part Selection Help
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2015, 03:25 PM »
If you can pick up a Rooster Big Daddy local, rob the skyways and stick a set of cheap wheels on it if you've any lying about and sell it on, cheap or free skyways.

Sounds like a plan  :daumenhoch:
I will keep an eye out.
You won't find me on Facebook or Twitter!!!

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 02:45 PM »
Hiya mate, just a few suggestions !
As it is a freestyle build I wouldn't go putting CW pro bars on the bike....they are too high and will look wrong imo. I would put on something with a lower crossbar and more freestyle orientated, some Skyway EZ II or maybe some fake Haro bars or even CW freestyle copies with the twin crossbar. I would keep with a chrome post and bars if the frame is chrome.
Spoked wheels or tuff mag wheels....the choice is yours, Personally I feel a freestyler should have mags and being as yours is an Aero some Aero Zytecs would be perfect, not too expensive and some say as good as skyways. The Kenda K55 tyres Dan suggested above are also perfect for the bike...easily available on ebay...you may have to order from states.
If you have a fetish for blue anno'd parts then go ahead but personally I feel are a bit dated for the frame as all the wild pink, green , white, and lavender parts were available by 1985 and most freestylers used them.
Brakes......firstly I would build it with a hollow stem bolt for the front brake cable (potts mod)so make sure you get a stem with one! and depends on your budget but old MX1000's very pricey especially if nos and the rpro ones are nasty, and again a little dated for the bike although era correct. I would be more inclined to go with FS880 front caliper as its designed for potts mod straight out the box and either a rear 880 or MX901 (both come in blue anno too!)
best thing to do is look at the museum at reflex builds and decide what you like and don't like and choose parts accordingly...doesn't have to cost a fortune to have a classy looking bike instead of ending up with something that looks as if it has been finished with parts left over on ebay!
Sizes
seatpost 22.2 although that frame needs a shim which you have hopefully got with the frame?
one piece crank....sugino or takagi 175mm arms
bottom bracket 24tpi usually
tires 20 x 1.75
hope this has been a little help!
Damo  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Hiya mate, just a few suggestions !
As it is a freestyle build I wouldn't go putting CW pro bars on the bike....they are too high and will look wrong imo. I would put on something with a lower crossbar and more freestyle orientated, some Skyway EZ II or maybe some fake Haro bars or even CW freestyle copies with the twin crossbar. I would keep with a chrome post and bars if the frame is chrome.
Spoked wheels or tuff mag wheels....the choice is yours, Personally I feel a freestyler should have mags and being as yours is an Aero some Aero Zytecs would be perfect, not too expensive and some say as good as skyways. The Kenda K55 tyres Dan suggested above are also perfect for the bike...easily available on ebay...you may have to order from states.
If you have a fetish for blue anno'd parts then go ahead but personally I feel are a bit dated for the frame as all the wild pink, green , white, and lavender parts were available by 1985 and most freestylers used them.
Brakes......firstly I would build it with a hollow stem bolt for the front brake cable (potts mod)so make sure you get a stem with one! and depends on your budget but old MX1000's very pricey especially if nos and the rpro ones are nasty, and again a little dated for the bike although era correct. I would be more inclined to go with FS880 front caliper as its designed for potts mod straight out the box and either a rear 880 or MX901 (both come in blue anno too!)
best thing to do is look at the museum at reflex builds and decide what you like and don't like and choose parts accordingly...doesn't have to cost a fortune to have a classy looking bike instead of ending up with something that looks as if it has been finished with parts left over on ebay!
Sizes
seatpost 22.2 although that frame needs a shim which you have hopefully got with the frame?
one piece crank....sugino or takagi 175mm arms
bottom bracket 24tpi usually
tires 20 x 1.75
hope this has been a little help!
Damo  :daumenhoch:

Hi Damo
Some great suggestions there mate, thanks very much.
I do have a thing for blue I must admit, but not it's not essential.
My frame didn't come with the seatpost shim unfortunately, if you have any suggestions on where I may be able to source one, I'd be very grateful  :daumenhoch:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Don't know where you would get a shim unfortunately....get a wanted ad up, someone is bound to have one kicking about or make one from a beer can  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 09:26 PM »
I'll get a post up cheers matey  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 10:17 PM »
Just make a shim out of a coke can until you find one :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline T4Ryan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Will a Stella can do  :LolLolLolLol:

Is it really only that thin a shim that is required  :D

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2015, 08:53 PM »
Those wheels look ace on that  :4_17_5:

Great bikes the aero reflex.My first build was a reflex and as said above used cheaper parts on it like repop ame grips,Acorn mags instead of skyways,victor pedals instead of shimano,lee chi mx brakes instead of dia compe,etc.I wouldnt cut the standers off though.It will rust where you have cut them off and you will struggle to sell the frame if you decide to later on.I caught my foot on them the first time I had a ride on it but you get used to moving your heel out a bit when riding and Ive not caught them since(size 11 shoes).

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  First Build - Period Part Selection Help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx