gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 16, 2024, 03:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  A Hero is found
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A Hero is found  (Read 1991 times)

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
A Hero is found
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:48 PM »
Was cruising the recycling section of my local rubbish tip about a year or two ago & saw this in the bike pile.
It had 16" wheels in it but was clearly a 20" bike.
Not wanting to see it end up as landfill I handed over a few dollars & took home yet another orphan that I don't really need.

The name sticker on the front is damaged but it's possible to misread the brand as Haro.
It's not, it's HERO from the largest maker of bicycles in the world, but based in India. [Google it]
They were never sold here in OZ & very few have ever heard of them so I'm guessing that someone brought it with them when emegrating.

The cranks are not long, so the 16" wheels may actually be original, but it looked awfull so I slipped on a pair of 20's just to settle my stomach.
The wheels against the wall are the ones that were in it.

With the chain guard it is clearly a department store level of bike but hey, some kid will love it.

Here's the head badge/ sticker The name is writen both diagonaly as well as horizontaly but the second letter is fairly definately an E

Something different but not really worthy of Hero worship.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:56 PM by CDBMX »
I'll be building Quickies till the day I die, ..... & maybe a couple of days after that.

griff

Re: A Hero is found
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 04:16 PM »
Great post & you've just triggered some nice memories :)

First time I went to India ('95) I caught the train from Delhi right up to the Punjab, all the way along the journey instead of posters advertising stuff, they had actual paintings (very cool) mainly of Coca Cola (recently allowed on sale), Godfather beer ('India's strongest beverage') and Hero bicycles :)

Never saw any BMX bikes, but my mate bought his Great Uncle a brand new Hero bike as a present & it was quite an event
If I can find the picture I'll dig it out

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 06:35 AM »
I sent an e-mail to their head office asking for any possible info. They were probably rolling around the floor for days laughing at the dumb arse Aussie who paid actual cash money for what looks like an over 30 year old bike from the rubbish tip.
But I never received a reply & I did not persue it further.

When I have nothing else to do in my life I will probably strip it, powder it in something not so drab & rebuild it as a rider with some longer cranks [I have heaps] & generic replacement parts.

Hopefully someone will want it as a kids thrasher, I just didn't want to see it go to landfill.
I'll be building Quickies till the day I die, ..... & maybe a couple of days after that.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Nice save! I hate seeing anything usable thrown out.... :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 11:47 AM »
Thats a survivor by the skink of its teeth.
If in doubt flat out.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  A Hero is found

gfxgfx
gfx gfx