gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 15, 2024, 09:15 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Is RadBmx dying.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Is RadBmx dying.  (Read 5589 times)

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: Is RadBmx dying.
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2016, 11:02 AM »
The forum format is dying.

Imo it's inevitable....most of the posts on here are just keeping this place ticking over and as sad as that sounds.........it's the state of what we have available to us and convenience.

Was looking at the wanted section yesterday and so many have views but hardly any replies. Although some of this will be down to what people have, there is a wider audience out there.

Another way of looking at it....how many of you sit in the lounge with your families and have your head stuck in your smartphone..........years ago we'd talk!
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2016, 08:21 AM »

In 1990 BMX was dead ... yet here we all are.

Forums aren't in fashion... thats all it is. Myspace used to be where it was at... FriendsReunited anyone? ... all fads ... all gone... replaced.

here's my big thought ( one a year ) Facebook is Scooters ... Forums are BMX

Facebook is all about the next next next ... newest thing .. the latest post. What happened last week is forgotten. There's no organization. No etiquette. No manners. Wanna find a pic you saw appear 2 or 3 weeks back on Facebook? it will take you a while and a load of scrolling. The format is just not conducive to building a valuable resource ... all its interested in is the now. Facebook is Scooters.

Forums are organised, based around being able to store and search for information... the community of a forum is based around regular postings and shared trust ... abuse this at your peril. You can go off and do Facebook but, like scooters, you will ultimately feel unfulfilled and will look for something with some substance ... like BMX ... or skating for that matter.

Maybe that's all bullshit but as long as there's a few people who log on and post it will never be dead... as long as theres that small community of people to chat with ( ride with ) then it will bobble along down the stream just fine... just like BMX.

There was something about BMX that we loved and stayed in us until we were ready to come back ... forums are the same.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2016, 08:26 AM »
...also there's been sooo much less bullshit and aggro on RAD since Facebook got trendy.

Deffo a good thing  :daumenhoch:

Dylan Thomas

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2016, 08:46 AM »

Forums aren't in fashion... thats all it is. Myspace used to be where it was at... FriendsReunited anyone? ... all fads ... all gone... replaced.

Facebook is all about the next next next ... newest thing .. the latest post. What happened last week is forgotten. There's no organization. No etiquette. No manners. Wanna find a pic you saw appear 2 or 3 weeks back on Facebook? it will take you a while and a load of scrolling. The format is just not conducive to building a valuable resource ... all its interested in is the now. Facebook is Scooters.

Forums are organised, based around being able to store and search for information... the community of a forum is based around regular postings and shared trust ... abuse this at your peril. You can go off and do Facebook but, like scooters, you will ultimately feel unfulfilled and will look for something with some substance ... like BMX ... or skating for that matter.

Maybe that's all bullshit but as long as there's a few people who log on and post it will never be dead... as long as theres that small community of people to chat with ( ride with ) then it will bobble along down the stream just fine... just like BMX.

There was something about BMX that we loved and stayed in us until we were ready to come back ... forums are the same.

Absolutely and completely agree. To me you've summed it up perfectly.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2016, 10:28 AM »
Lovely words and thoughts Ed ... Yeah Facebook is putting Grolsch bottle tops on your Doc Martens ...( 'Trendy 'and of the moment )
Rad is a Lacoste Polo Shirt   ( a timeless classic and here for ever! )  :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:30 AM by factory pilot »
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2016, 10:33 AM »
I'm loving all this metaphorical shit!  ;)
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2016, 10:38 AM »
Lovely words and thoughts Ed ... Yeah Facebook is putting Grolsch bottle tops on your Doc Martens ...( 'Trendy 'and of the moment )
Rad is a Lacoste Polo Shirt   ( a timeless classic and here for ever! )  :4_17_5:

you nailed it :-)

Facebook is Kriss Kross wearing clothes backwards
RADBMX is RunDMC's Adidas Shell Toes

Dylan Thomas

Offline Why isnt this working

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2016, 10:39 AM »

Absolutely and completely agree. To me you've summed it up perfectly.

Absolutely fantastic lads.... :) Heres to RADBMX.... :4_17_5:

Si... :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2016, 11:11 AM »
Bang on Guys, nicely written  fistblump

I am always on here, my first port of call every day. I would be nice to see it buzzing more, and more replies to any thread would be ace too. So many views logged, hardly any posts. Get them keyboards back out, and get typing.
BANNED

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2016, 05:41 PM »
I still quite enjoy reading the step-by-step build/resto threads on here, and will continue to post my own. Not so many viewers or posters at the minute but the threads will always be here on RAD for the future. Fb doesn't really lend itself to the ins and outs of a build - it's more for people posting pictures of their complete bikes at the end of a long resto, and then the post is way down the list and forgotten in a few short days.

I am a member of forums for my two other interests (Hillman Imp and Lotus Elise) and I have sadly seen both of those forums decline over the same time period as Fb has completely taken those over. I'm pleased to see  :radbmxsmilie: still hanging in there   :daumenhoch:
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline Flitch

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2016, 07:08 PM »
I'm on here to browsing, but do not post because...

I just really use my iPhone for everything, and when you post pics on this forum, I had to keep resizing images with an editor.
So it used to take 5-10 mins to make post

The Facebook RBMX page is easier to post as I'm sure everyone's aware.

So
Love this site, naturally , just don't post as much its a hassle on phone.

A mobile version of this site would be awesome , as I don't really like tap talk

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2016, 07:26 PM »
I can relate to that to a degree. When I am away working I am sat at a desktop every day for a period of up to 5 weeks, and I do actively store up post and pics when I am back home to post on here when I am next away. For the 5 weeks I am home I generally browse on my mobile but definitely do not post anywhere near as often.

But what can be done to ease the problems and difficulties related to actual input to the forum? I have to admit I much prefer the format over on BMXMuseum, especially for the reference and actual Museum section, although the text and banter is a billion times better on here.

Funking in your space since 1984.

Online SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2016, 08:08 PM »
I'm gonna  start posting. I spend loads of time just in the background.
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. Miss you loads Dad

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2016, 09:47 AM »
I Come on here roughly once a week now, spend 10 mins on and then disappear. I can't even blame Facebook as I've removed myself from various groups.

I hardly show a bike now due to someone being a complete twat.

I'm doing this one last bike and that's it. I pretty much have no spare parts and I've built all I want to build. Prices are high for premium bits, just grateful I got in early, bought well and have traded well.

I'm not a hoarder, I build completes and leave them like that. I hardly sell anything.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Is RadBmx dying.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx