gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975596 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 07, 2024, 02:00 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Paying it forward - What advice would YOU give to people new to the scene ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Paying it forward - What advice would YOU give to people new to the scene ?  (Read 3436 times)

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
Okay so this definitely isn't meant to be a "time served" versus "Newbie" debate but some friendly advice or recollections of things that you've learned or gleaned over the years .....

This isn't meant to be patronising either... Feel free to chip in with your own advice or questions
I'm sure lots of advice will be hypocritical too .. That's the nature of this hobby... We  each have our own "rules" and they don't always make sense to others ( ..and why should they have too! )

I'll start with a couple ...

1. Always build your bikes your bikes your way  for you!

People love to judge or offer advice but at the end of the day it's your bike and your budget.

2. Don't act in haste over anything.
Research, research, research and think think think... Many things are expensive so be sure it's correct or what you want for your build
Take a step back ..Several times I nearly stripped the OG decals and paint from my 85 Master ... I'm so so glad I never did !

"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Never post on the interwebz forums when drunk, never!

A lesson I learned early on was not to buy repop brakes, they will stare at you, they will follow you around the room I swear.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Yes I have to agree with the above

I got into this about 3 years ago all I had was a quad frame and forks that I had since the 80s didn't know about RAD BMX then had to rely on memory and pics on internet that was my mistake got carried away looking at shiny stuff and buying on impulse and trying to build  2 bikes at same time by my 3rd build I learned to be a bit more patient and not spend so much .
Although anyone starting now is going to have a hard time getting any decent parts as the prices are just getting silly now you can still get the odd bargain on ebay but there few and far between .
So for anyone just starting to get into this my advice would be

1 Avoid building anything Hutch unless your loaded

2 Always ask first on here never had anyone ignore my questions no matter how stupid they seem

3 Have all your powder coating done by SBD

4 Don't try to compete with some of the amazing builds you see on here and on BMX museum you will only be disappointed

5 And finally get out on your builds as much as possible they built for riding not for looking at as you can't take them with you

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Have to agree on the repop brakes though they really are shit

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Research

Just because it's got a certain manufacturers old and worn decal on it doesn't mean it's legit.

If buying a component that's got multiple parts like cranks beware if some are a little cheaper because it's missing that mega easy to find end cap. Don't fool yourself thinking you'll be ok without it as it'll bug you and you'll end up spending as much getting a replacement.

If getting a hard to find or expensive frame set do your best to get it with matching forks as the forks will cost more than the frame if you need to get them separately  ( that's saying you can find them in the first place )

There's plenty of members on here that have their own areas that they know well and I've found them very helpful, so don't be afraid to ask

rodriguez

This whole "time served" term is really starting to annoy me.

Can the term "time served" thing just be allowed to disappear into the annals of time, it's silly term that was coined in a ridiculous rant trying to defend indefensible behaviour.

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:

Can the term "time served" thing just be allowed to disappear into the annals of time, it's silly term that was coined in a ridiculous rant trying to defend indefensible behaviour.

I didn't see this thread as "time served" I presumed it was advise to help new members in to not being stung.

I get you on time served as someone tried to scam me out of £400 on ebay that was a " time served member on here but they didn't realise I knew". So yes it all bo**ocks, your either a good guy or a bad guy no matter what your post count or enrolled date is

rodriguez

I didn't see this thread as "time served" I presumed it was advise to help new members in to not being stung.

I get you on time served as someone tried to scam me out of £400 on ebay that was a " time served member on here but they didn't realise I knew". So yes it all bo**ocks, your either a good guy or a bad guy no matter what your post count or enrolled date is

Your absolutely right :daumenhoch:

Don't get me wrong the idea behind the thread is good and it was started with the best of intentions, just can't stand the phrase.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Both of you are totally right .. This is a positive thread to help others from both the good choices we were lucky enough to make or the mistakes that we've all made along the way  :daumenhoch:

Any more stories or ideas lads?  fistblump

griff

An elina snake post combo is never a good idea  :teef:

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Shim required for a elina seat and post combo NOS until I sat on it HA HA

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
Spend time setting up the bike, baggy chains and loose cables are the best way to kill a nice bike. :)

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Never advertise your GT as a NORA Cup or a Santa Ana..............EVER!!!!!!!!

They just didn't happen!

Seriously though, do not rush in to your build: Build it fast build it twice!

You have been warned.
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Everything will sell, eventually.

That part you really need to finish off a build WILL turn up, eventually.
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline popedante

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Its only a original once , dont be in a rush to powder coat and plop on repop decals.

Skyways on a race bike for me is a no no (unless graphites)

Snake seat posts are the work of the devil

No harm using a good one piece crank , not all builds need 3 piece so save your money and if you use redline twin pinch your not fooling anyone !  HaHa

Offline Gra_goose

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Burner bars and seatposts do NOT go forward or to the rear of their respective axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodriguez

If you're buying from the USA factor in customs charges just in case the seller over there cannot, will not or is just to bloody stupid to follow simple instructions regarding how to avoid them and you get stung.

Pay the paypal charges, I rarely buy owt now but when I do I pay the charges and it's paid off.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Some great tips and reminders in here, whether new to the scene or not! :daumenhoch:

For my part, I always try to remember the "buyer beware" mantra, and take it from there.

PS I thought "time served" related to prison sentences, though maybe that analogy's not far off the mark!! ;D
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Don't rush into things and be willing to listen.
Just play it safe, and don't be afraid to walk away.

And in the end, the bike is what you want, so build it to how you want.

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Definitely don't buy anything from the bloke from cannock on ebay, that new stem that's been around the block and polished any stampings out isn't new after all lol

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Great point .. Polished doesn't mean new or original or era correct...  Be careful choose wisely !

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Ask all the questions and request all you pics you need to feel happy about handing money over. I always walk away if someone dodges questions or is crap with photos. Touch wood, not been stung yet!
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
All of these are great advice but the single thing I wish to pass on is absolutely do anything you can to be at the MK (Milton Keynes) event in the summer. Even if you can only be there for a few hours, get there.

You will realise how many other idiots share the same stupid hobby with you and no longer feel daft messing with "kid's bikes".

You will meet some great new mates.

You will be amazed at the builds people do and get some great inspiration for your own.

You will buy some bargains.

You will also realise that you actually need a bike to ride, not just look at. Either on the track, on the ramps or just rolling around the lake ride and the site generally,  you need a rider. By all means build your dream bike but do it second after you build one you can ride and enjoy riding. Who knows, you may go out on one of the rides after MK with your new mates you met there..... who knows......  ???

Oh. Second piece of advice. Build what the fook you want and how you want to :coolsmiley:
Still limping......

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Okay so similar to Spen's ... Go on some of the rides and chat to people ..

Be persistent too.. My first ride was quite and rainy ... My first MK I only talked to Denzil .. As Morrisey so rightly says these things take time  :daumenhoch:

I've been lucky enough to make some top mates ..
You also learn lots from chatting to people on the rides with regards to builds, parts and who may have what you need  :daumenhoch:

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
A great idea this thread Ant!  :daumenhoch:  ...thanks to everybody for sharing your experiences. Not having to find out certain things by oneself, can safe one from a lot of troubles.  :coolsmiley:

I'm on here since April 2016 and learned a lot already, so I still feel pretty new to this. Therefore I have just a little contribution to make:

If you're about to buy an item on ebay.de (Germany) make sure not to confuse it with "ebay-Kleinanzeigen" (they look very similar). Last mentioned is more more or less like classified ads in a newspaper. No matter if you pay the paypal-fees, on "ebay-Kleinanzeigen" you have no buyer protection at all.
Oh, and don't be fooled by somebody asking silly money for shipping costs. Shipping costs from Germany to the U.K. are usually quite cheap and they include an insurance up to 500,- Euros in most cases.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Paying it forward - What advice would YOU give to people new to the scene ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx