gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975555 Posts in 138923 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 11, 2024, 09:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Mr G Lewis
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mr G Lewis  (Read 7885 times)

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Mr G Lewis
« on: September 24, 2005, 02:24 PM »
We have heard a lot of speculation and hear say about him,

But, where is he now?

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Mr G Lewis
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 02:30 PM »

He was my local Skate Park King in Gillingham, Kent

Here's a story for you all . . . . . . . .

I was over my local park in Maidstone with my brother and friends grabbing big air from a huge valley we all called the "Bomb Hole". Local Maidstone ladz will remember this place

Next thing this dude rides over in full Team Ammaco strip riding a Freestyle King and says, "Hey guys, where's the new skate park"?

Yep, it was Glyn Lewis and we took him over to what our local council described as a skatepark. In fact, it was just a long, thick rubber mat laid down for the kids to roll down on their skateboards. For BMX, it was totally naff and only good for manuals, etc

Anyway, all was not wasted as we decided to show Glyn some of our local freestyle hot-spots and had a wicked time for the rest of the day. We even stopped at the local Ammaco HQ and used their quarter pipe for several hours

Hey, I also remember we stopped off at my house for refreshments and me Mom made us all a salad. Bless her heart !!!

If you are out there Glyn you will probably remember this day out. As far as I can remember it was 1983 ish

Does anyone know where Glyn is now???

I have heard various disturbing rumours about Glyn too . . . . . . . . !!!!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 02:50 PM by Minihaha »

retrorider.u.k

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 02:49 PM »
last thing i heard on glyn was that he had spent some time at her majesty's pleasure

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 02:51 PM »
Yeah, that's what I heard and for reasons I'd prefer not to discuss  >:(

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 04:39 PM »
glyn lewis had the indoor quarter pipe height record for a while
about 6ft i recall

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 05:02 PM »
I watched him many times riding my nearest skate park in Gillingham BITD.

Glyn was wild, fearless and TOTALLY RAD !!!  :o

Mr Rusty

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 07:24 PM »
Watched Glyn many a time in the small bowl at Gillingham getting unbelievable airs.

Hey Minihaha - sure I must know you.  Mote Park bomb hole circa 1983 spent most evenings there - also the boat house jump.

Chris

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 08:17 PM »
Watched Glyn many a time in the small bowl at Gillingham getting unbelievable airs.

Hey Minihaha - sure I must know you.  Mote Park bomb hole circa 1983 spent most evenings there - also the boat house jump.

Chris

Hi ya Chris,

Yeah, I remember the Blue Bowl and the Snake's Head at Gillingham Skate Park and Glyn certainly knew how to use them for huge, huge air  :o

Circa 1983. Oh Yes. I was there most of the time with Letch, Millsy, Macky T, Rappo and loads more. Some mighty fine memories there mate

WOW!!! The boat house jump. Man that was a cool jump with a pretty awkward tree if you jumped too far. Rode straight into that a few times. Ouch

Do you remember that sad excuse of a skate park the Maidstone Borough built.  I can remember seeing it for the very first time. Apparently, it cost thousands to build BITD from what appeared to be old, recycled school gym mats. They were having a laugh  ;D

I am curious now. I knew one or two riders named Chris back then. I won't mention any surnames yet but I have an idea who you are. What did you ride then and do you still live locally?

If we do know each other it would be great to get back in touch

TTFN  ;)

Mr Rusty

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 08:52 PM »
You got PM

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 01:16 AM »
 Istill rememebr him doing no footer front hops on BMX beat. Has anyone else ever managed to do such a thing. Completely impossible.

Yeah, wouldn't suprise me, if poor old Glyn ended up in the nick. never heard any rumours, so I'll only have to guess..
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 11:28 AM »
That was the rumour that i had heard, he is doing porridge.

Anyone know what for?

PM me if you dont want to go public with the reasoning?

Mr Stupple,

You know anything?

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 05:18 PM »
Only heard the same rumours as everyone else, wonder if he`s hopping now  ;D
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 08:56 PM »
I was Glyn's teammate on Ammaco back in '83-'84.

I saw him riding in a comp at Leigh-on-Sea skatepark in '94, but actually didn't recognise him until he had left and someone mentioned his name.  A couple of years later he turned up at Rom for a ride, still on a DP. We had a good chat.... He has been away, more than once.  Like most of us, he looks bigger and uglier these days  ;) ;D 

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 11:04 PM »
So has anyone seen or heard from him since about '96 then . . . . . :-\

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 11:13 PM »
he looks bigger and uglier these days

is it possible.i hope he cant read this inside or i've got problems  ;D.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 08:20 AM »
bigger and uglier now, than he was then?  My god. Even then, he had legs like tree trunks.  I didn't know they made Aero pants that size... C'mon then who's gonna spill the beans. What he in the nick for?

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 11:34 AM »
Not me for sure !!!

For all I know everything I've been told may be total cr@p and I will not judge Glyn or anyone on hearsay and gossip

Instead, I choose to remember Glyn Lewis for his contribution to Freestyle BMX and who knows he may turn up again one day

theRuler

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 11:56 AM »
could someone pm me the unmentionable rumour about glyn?

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 02:49 PM »

Saw him at Rom Skatepark one Sunday in about '98 or '99.
He was riding a DP Freestyler (surprise!) and flowing around pretty well. Big guy, built like a pitbull. Good laugh, tells a good story. I remember him saying his sponsor used to hand out lists of new tricks to learn by the next comp. He asked me to say hi to Eric (Steel) next time I saw him, at which point I realised he thought I was someone else. I haven't seen Eric since about '91 at Southsea.

Everything on his bike lubed with Copperslip. He let me try it for size; no kidding, it felt like I was being gently pushed along as there was NO rolling resistance whatsoever.
Yeah, I hear he'd been away, but not why. Not really that bothered about knowing, he's done the time he owed so the account's paid.

RADHAB

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 01:29 AM »

Saw him at Rom Skatepark one Sunday in about '98 or '99.
He was riding a DP Freestyler (surprise!) and flowing around pretty well. Big guy, built like a pitbull. Good laugh, tells a good story. I remember him saying his sponsor used to hand out lists of new tricks to learn by the next comp. He asked me to say hi to Eric (Steel) next time I saw him, at which point I realised he thought I was someone else. I haven't seen Eric since about '91 at Southsea.

So Wayne do you know what Glynn is up to now? I think its a question of we'd like him to register with the site and turn up at some meetings and stuff. No pack drill fella.  I thought Glynn was Rad on a ramp and some of his flatland was cool too. we just want him to be part of this resurgence in oldschool BMX freestyle as he was such a big part of it... Glynn if you are reading this PM me and i'll have a chat wiv yer.

RH

Everything on his bike lubed with Copperslip. He let me try it for size; no kidding, it felt like I was being gently pushed along as there was NO rolling resistance whatsoever.
Yeah, I hear he'd been away, but not why. Not really that bothered about knowing, he's done the time he owed so the account's paid.

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 07:06 AM »
Yeah. It would be good to have Glynn as a member here.  still, I wonder if he can fit into those aero pants though.
It was indeed a snug fit even back then...

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 07:33 AM »
In Crimewatch fashion, as it appears that no-one has seen Glyn for a few years, i thought it might be helpful to have an artists  representation of what he might look like today.

theRuler

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 09:04 AM »
ahahhahhahaa  :D

plugwit

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 11:22 PM »
aaahhhh just got a tough burner off mi mate.sorry phil not white skyways,just bleached white by the sun from being by mi mates grandads greenhouse,really yellow wot a bummer but you've got evry other color under the sun apart from my sun bleached white/yellow skyways.i'll have loads of fun cleaning these u turd.welcome 2 rad bmx gaz.wot a project.ps need loads of bits any help please..........

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Mr G Lewis

gfxgfx
gfx gfx