gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 16, 2024, 07:16 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Anlun made Sport
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Anlun made Sport  (Read 2870 times)

FuNMoNsTeR

Anlun made Sport
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:34 PM »
I have been asked if the Anlun made Haro Freestyler Sport is US made?  ???
Didnt Anlun make stems and cranks too..?

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Anlun made Sport
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 07:39 PM »
I have been asked if the Anlun made Haro Freestyler Sport is US made?  ???
Didnt Anlun make stems and cranks too..?

Anlun made a load of parts - in Tiawan (at least I think it was Tiawan)  :-\

You could count on one hand the amount of US made Sports know to collectors  ;D

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 07:47 PM »
Thanks Moose :)

Yes i  got asked the question by an interested buyer.  :)
I may pull the auction anyway, powdercoat and decal the Sport and sell it on then.  :daumenhoch:

WizardWeb

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Anlun is a Taiwanese bike manufacturing outsourcing company. Haro switched production of frames from Torker to Anlun cos it was cheaper. The torker built ones are seen as more desirable becasue they're rarer.

Loads of parts they made were re-branded and sold as original parts for other companies. Haro Group One stems for instance. But the 85 sport and FST actually had Anlun branded kit on them.

It wasn't only Haro they made but loads of other stuff too. Often in the same factory at the same time. Adidas and Nike do the same thing. It's kind of "how much to make me 10,000 of these...."

Then we get into the whole USA vs Taiwan argument. Personally I think it depends on what you ask the factory to do, for the price you're willing to pay. So far as I can see the whole "USA made is better" argument is more about saving jobs.

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 09:29 PM »
I was honestly suprised to hear Anlun was a Taiwanese Factory. The Sport i have is rock fookin solid and every weld is nice...  :)

rom_kid_04

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 09:35 PM »
tawaneise quality is no diferent to us made quality given that you use the right companies to make your stuff

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 09:37 PM »
i would rather a tai bird than a us one   ;)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 10:28 PM »
i would rather a tai bird than a us one   ;)

I hear they're a tighter fit  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

theRuler

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:59 PM »
tawaneise quality is no diferent to us made quality given that you use the right companies to make your stuff

taiwan is often better quality. more consistent anyway

mark j

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 11:53 PM »
And if they're mass producing for a load of companies they're getting enough practice in with the welding. You'd be a dab hand doing a couple of hundred a day.....

GT mallet stems and performer bars were sourced out from a Tai company called Jae Hwa Vehicle Material Co,  Skyway hot seats made by Velo. CW bars were made by VDC according to Voris Dixon, CW were shifting bars by the lorry load so VDC copied them with the monkey bars, same design but pierced tubes. I've geekily digressed a bit....my point is loads more is sourced out and rebranded than we might realise.....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 11:56 AM by mark j »

WizardWeb

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 12:42 AM »
I remember seeing a trade ad for Wellgo and it was basically "here's our pedals, put your name on it instead of ours".

That was a few years back and then in that years argos catalogue was the same pedals but they were selling the odyssey and diamond back versions at totally different prices to each other. (brand perception controls that I guess)

Did you read the interview woth Chris Moeller in this months ride? He was saying after they ran the "American is best" which implied Taiwanese build was dangerous, he got into trouble with his Taiwanese suppliers. See? Even they use them, but don't like you to know cos it spoils their all American image.

From what I understand though, the wages in Taiwan are going up quite fast, so the price advantage is disappearing and it's just a case of they're geared up to make these things. But theres no point moving production back at the mo cos it'd cost too much to set up elsewhere and you wouldn't have the skills in place.

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 01:03 AM »
I've geekily digressed a bit....

Don't worry about that, we love a bit of geeky digression  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Anlun made Sport

gfxgfx
gfx gfx