gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975569 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 20, 2024, 08:47 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  The OSSS the future, ideas, suggestions and comments
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The OSSS the future, ideas, suggestions and comments  (Read 4728 times)

Rooonga

Re: The OSSS the future, ideas, suggestions and comments
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Webdawg I love it!

(Sorry if that sounds a bit kinky ;) )

se

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 07:40 PM »
Bike rules: restrict entries to 1983 Rippers with UKAIs, Wing Bars and Flites.

Venues and travel: I would love to see a 10 or 15 round series nationwide like yesteryear, but I'm dreaming. Realistically I could only get to a couple of events, as making it a whole weekend away is a different proposition to a Sunday locally. Think how Wickes' profits would dive too. But if anything like this year's OSSS can be created then that'd be amazing. Gutted to have missed the last two rounds. It is a great series and hats off to all who have done the dirty work and everyone who has turned up. Enough of the waffle - how about an idea: we re-run south OSSS in 2008 plus broaden it to Bournemouth, Burnham and Cheddar, and throw down the gauntlet for the north to do the same. Then have one big grand final, north v south. At the Brits if it'd be allowed, but at a separate event like MK if not.

Classes: no chance of doing it based on weight? Thought not.

If anyone fancies getting together for a few pints to talk this over then count me in. We could do a Saturday in London in September like Rich organised last year, unless he'd sorting out something similar already.

dialledbikes

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 04:09 PM »
Very interesting thread.  Just my two penneth worth (though I think Humps, Webdawg and Ratty have covered most).

1.  A national OS series seems like the next step for you guys.  The best way to do that would be to speak to whoever organises each regional series and see if they will let you have an old school gate at one or two selected regionals (that way, it's fair to all OS riders up and down the country).  You could also speak to BCF to see if it would be possible to have an OS gate at selected nationals, but personally I think you would be better off incorporating the OS Series into the regionals (less bureaucracy, more laid back atmosphere at races and over and done with in a day) and make the Brits the big event that OS merges with national series (and keep having your MK events cos those seem pretty special).

2.  I think Ratty's comments about old school bikes is pretty much spot on.  The threaded headset and non-cantilever/v-brake rule seems to be pretty well accepted now.  If you start imposing too many rules it all starts getting a bit too serious and at the end of the day I suspect most OS riders are getting back into this for fun.  If they wanted to be serious they would sign up for 30+ or 30-39/40+ cruiser, right?  I also suspect OS is as much about OS riders getting the chance to relive their youth as it is about an OS bike being reborn and raced again.  You guys seem to have struck the right balance in that department already.

3.  As for sorting out rankings, there's 2 ways of doing it:  (a) make all the races count towards final ranking; or (b) just divide the number of points by the number of races attended to get an average (you'd probably need to set a minimum number of races to attend to make this work, otherwise you could get 1 person who wins 1 race and his average will be higher than a rider who finishes 2nd in 5 races).

4.  Finally, if you want to get some sponsors on board, you can add dialled bikes to the list.  I'd be happy to put up some end of season trophies (for top 8) and/or a frame or something if you get a gate at the Brits next year.

Good luck getting the series off the ground.  The more BMX events there are, the better the publicity for BMX over all.

:daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 04:40 PM »
Thanks Mike, your comments and suggestions pretty much sum up the direction we want to head.
The OSSS needs more regional events up and down the country, Dingo is trying to start the Midlands off, we need Northern riders to start their own OSS as well.

The OSSS is a fun event but with a serious streak running through its veins, by our nature we need competition, and BMX gives us that in large doses.

Its also a great way to get back into a sport we all love, To say we felt intimidated when we started was an understatement, but we did it, got over the first giggles and now put on races as good as any, if a bit slower.
Four OSSS riders are also now racing New school, with a couple more planning to do both classes next year. So its a great way to get involved in racing without feeling too out of place!!!

Mike Thanks for the offer, that means a lot!! Can we talk at Daggers about it?  :4_17_5:

Cheers Tony
A long time ago, in a land far away!

dialledbikes

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 06:12 PM »
Sure thing Ratty, I should be at Daggers for a riding session next Saturday.

So is it gonna be several regional OS Series which then comes together at the Brits to determine the OS British Champ?  Or are you planning on having an OS National Series (not necessarily anything to do with the main BCF National Series) made up of events held at different regionals?

The latter sounds like the best plan as I'm not sure there's enough OS racers to sustain their own series in every region.

It's good that OS riders are now also racing in the regular regional series'.  As I get older I want to ride as much as possible while I can, so will be doing 40+ Cr at regional and national level and also having a go at some OS races.  Hopefully more people will do the same.

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2007, 08:05 PM »
It would be nice to think that if the OSSS show is looking for places to race then the clubs will come forward to invite them to race at their Regionals next summer.  It's worth noting that not only do the OS riders appear and pay their way but they bring their kids along too to swell the other classes.  More riders means more cash for the clubs and more sales of burgers, teas, etc.  Who could deny that the OS appearance this year at Royston and Braintree bolstered their gate considerably.  If the clubs negotiate with their Region on how the OS entry fees are split then it's win, win for them.  Humps

mattbus

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 08:51 PM »
Bike rules: restrict entries to 1983 Rippers with UKAIs, Wing Bars and Flites.

Venues and travel: I would love to see a 10 or 15 round series nationwide like yesteryear, but I'm dreaming. Realistically I could only get to a couple of events, as making it a whole weekend away is a different proposition to a Sunday locally. Think how Wickes' profits would dive too. But if anything like this year's OSSS can be created then that'd be amazing. Gutted to have missed the last two rounds. It is a great series and hats off to all who have done the dirty work and everyone who has turned up. Enough of the waffle - how about an idea: we re-run south OSSS in 2008 plus broaden it to Bournemouth, Burnham and Cheddar, and throw down the gauntlet for the north to do the same. Then have one big grand final, north v south. At the Brits if it'd be allowed, but at a separate event like MK if not.

Classes: no chance of doing it based on weight? Thought not.

If anyone fancies getting together for a few pints to talk this over then count me in. We could do a Saturday in London in September like Rich organised last year, unless he'd sorting out something similar already.

thank god someone remembered the sw as i would be up for this also

nishiki14

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 11:40 PM »
I can't see anyone trying to mess with the current bike rules as they're pretty spot on at letting a good healthy range of bikes take part.

As far as taking the series nationally I'm not sure how it could work with the moajority of the riders being southern based. However there's no reason why someone up North couldn't do what ratty and his guy's have dome and run your own series. We could then have a yearly get together at Milton Keynes to sort out a National Champion.

Although it pains me to say it, I agree with the Zipster.....................for once :crazy2:

zed4130

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2007, 06:59 AM »
it would defo get more kids into racing, i took coral to the reginals at bournemouth as i raced in the OS race, she loved it, as there was loads of kids to play with, after i asked her if she would race, she said yes,  :daumenhoch: so now she need loads of practice, so poss for next year  :daumenhoch:

se bikes

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2007, 09:17 AM »
it would defo get more kids into racing, i took coral to the reginals at bournemouth as i raced in the OS race, she loved it, as there was loads of kids to play with, after i asked her if she would race, she said yes,  :daumenhoch: so now she need loads of practice, so poss for next year  :daumenhoch:

It'd be great news if Coral raced, get her in training mate :daumenhoch:

zed4130

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2007, 09:56 AM »

It'd be great news if Coral raced, get her in training mate :daumenhoch:

:daumenhoch: will do nik , i think i need more though   :LolLolLolLol:

se bikes

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2007, 09:57 AM »
 :LolLolLolLol:me too, and a bike :-[

miss jibba jabba

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007, 01:28 PM »
JUST READING THE MESSAGES AND ALL THE DIFFERENT IDEAS EVERYONE HAS, MAKES IT EXCITING AND I JUST WANT THE SEASON TO START. i WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO COME TO MORE MEETS AND RACES AND TAKE PART (CHUBBY BODY ALLOWING) BUT HAVING TWO CHERUBS UNDER 3 MAKES IT A BIT IMPOSSIBLE.
I DON'T KNOW IF I UNDERSTAND THIS CORRECTLY BUT IF YOU WENT NATIONAL WOULD THAT MEAN RATTY, 796 AND NISHIKI
WOULD LOOSE ANY SAY OVER WHAT WENT ON. ?

AT THE MOMENT THINGS CAN GET CHANGED ABOUT TO SUIT AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE BUT BY BEING NATIONAL IT WOULD BE A CASE OF THIS IS HOW IT IS AND THATS IT???

IS THAT RIGHT OR WRONG. ???

I THINK YOU HAVE ALL DONE BRILLIANT IN SETTING UP AND TAKING PART IN ALL THE 2007 EVENTS.
MAYBE ONE OR TWO A YEAR UP NORTH OR THE MIDLANDS WOULD BE A GREAT WAY OF EXPANDING THE OSSS.
GOOD LUCK FOR 2008 EVERYONE AND I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE SAFE RACES. X  :-*

QuadPaul

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 02:02 PM »
Hi ya Mrs Nishiki, I think personally that you've just hit the nail right on the head there!!!

I think we stay as we are this year but with a few road trips thrown in to boot.

nishiki14

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007, 01:42 PM »
YES!!! :daumenhoch:

potts

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2007, 05:22 PM »
was approached about having old school at one of next years south races at andover the club would like to see that track would be ok for it too :Great_Britain:.

Flaz

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 09:16 AM »
"Re: The OSSS the future, ideas, suggestions and comments"

I think it would be a good idea in the future to change the rules a bit about what is classed as a old school bike and then argue about them and bitch at each other  ???

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 07:40 PM »
"Re: The OSSS the future, ideas, suggestions and comments"

I think it would be a good idea in the future to change the rules a bit about what is classed as a old school bike and then argue about them and bitch at each other  ???

:2gunsfiring_v1: FLAZ.   :Aresehole:  :LolLolLolLol: Humps  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  The OSSS the future, ideas, suggestions and comments

gfxgfx
gfx gfx