gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975597 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 07, 2024, 06:58 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  OLD SCHOOL Vs MID SCHOOL Vs NEW SCHOOL
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: OLD SCHOOL Vs MID SCHOOL Vs NEW SCHOOL  (Read 8340 times)

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
OLD SCHOOL Vs MID SCHOOL Vs NEW SCHOOL
« on: November 14, 2007, 10:01 PM »
I think old skool bmx's look so fooking cool when compared to MS & NS. Cant think of one MS or NS that can hold a light to the classics.

Discus  :daumenhoch:

Paul :Great_Britain:

:LolLolLolLol: :10_2_12:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:03 PM by DIRTBIKER250F »

JT71

Re: OLD SCHOOL Vs MID SCHOOL Vs NEW SCHOOL
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 10:04 PM »
I agree, but looks aren't everyhting are they?

what if you want to stop? new school brakes rule compared to super pricey mx1000's.
 :LolLolLolLol:

the_cyclops

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:07 PM »
I think old skool bmx's look so fooking cool when compared to MS & NS. Cant think of one MS or NS that can hold a light to the classics.

What? clearly you arent a rider

Oldschool are OK for hanging on a wall but how could you compare any of em?

Oldschool stuff generally has sh*t geometry and snapped

Midschool stuff was way heavy and snapped

Therefore Newschool wins!

Try it out........take any (and I mean ANY) oldschool bike to a skatepark or BMX track and thrash it around then do the same on a newschool bike

Then youll know!

magna13

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 10:10 PM »

what if you want to stop? new school brakes rule compared to super pricey mx1000's.

you have a point and what would you rather buy £100 Crupi beartraps or £550 Hutch beartraps

darkersomeday

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 10:10 PM »
i think most old school bikes look a bit "gay" looking back,

like pretty kids toys, and thats exactly what they were really,

mid school bikes were way better, way tougher, and again they were,

my favs are the new school :daumenhoch:
sleek , tough, tech, low slung and paired right down,

way more elegant than any of the old kids toys, and yet again, way WAY better,
designed by bmxers rather than some flid, some gonk in a suit or some kids dad :daumenhoch:

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 10:11 PM »

What? clearly you arent a rider

Oldschool are OK for hanging on a wall but how could you compare any of em?

Oldschool stuff generally has sh*t geometry and snapped

Midschool stuff was way heavy and snapped

Therefore Newschool wins!

Try it out........take any (and I mean ANY) oldschool bike to a skatepark or BMX track and thrash it around then do the same on a newschool bike

Then youll know!

Ill know what  ???  i mean as eye candy only  :daumenhoch: there is just somting about the look  :shocked:

darkersomeday

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 10:11 PM »

you have a point and what would you rather buy £100 Crupi beartraps or £550 Hutch beartraps

neither, both are shit pedals :daumenhoch:

magna13

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 10:14 PM »

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 10:21 PM »
I think many OS bikes look rad but that is more because the images of them are engraved on my eyes from looking at so many magazine pics as a kid. dreaming of getting a top end BMX.

Im really into Mid, but most mid bikes look crap crap crap. There was loads of junk made and we didnt help the look of things with pegs everywhere, brake contraptions and strange bar shapes and flag pole seats. Some Mid freestyle bikes were awful, but a nice clean Mid race bike looks great, and aint all that far off a NS bike really.

I love the look of NS bikes. very simple looking with no brakes and no pegs. Very low frame and low seat. Having said that, I could never ride a bike like that. I cant do bugger all without brakes or pegs, and I like a high seat. I do think they LOOK great tho.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 10:22 PM »

Quality :2funny: :daumenhoch:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 10:25 PM »
Bit of OS eye candy to get the ball rollin  :coolsmiley:

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 10:54 PM »
mid school for me!

especially when growing up looking at lazarou's creations. show bikes all the way, however on the other side of of that coin, still in mid school, seeing a slightly beaten up street bike (sort of how mine is at the moment) gives a special feeling, because what goes with looking at a bike is also what that bike has been through and done. i suppose a sense of use adds to the attraction of a particular bike! hard to explain. i might be on my own with this! for instance, i remember going to the bike show in 97 i think and joe rich had his beaten up barcode prototype, bear metal and rusting. to me it looked so fookin cool, but part of that attraction was what i'd seen the guy do on it, like thinkin that bikes just fufanu'd that hand rail, or its just icepicked that quarter, gives the bike a sense of history and ultimately adds to its attraction!

unfortunately i don't get this with any other era because the bikes were/are too simple

or am i just a sensative fellow!

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 11:05 PM »
TBH that is a fantastic way of describing what you feel for mid skool  :daumenhoch: but still stickin with the OS statement

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 11:06 PM »
They all have the plusses and minuses.

Oldschool do have some weird angles and short top tubes, but are stunningly beautiful and lets face it they started the whole sport.

1978 DeCoster

Mid-School I missed personally but I really do appreciate them now, in fact I love some of the midschool bikes on here, but they are not all heavy and have snapped  ;)

1991 Bully Piston Race

Newschool, I really do love because you can do what you want to the bikes and they will take it and ask for more.  Newschool used to be really boring to look at (black, black and black), these days people have realised colours and nice looking bikes are cooler than black and beat up looking.

2007 SE Quadangle Retro

Overall, any BMX is ace to me as I love them all and love this sport.

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 12:02 AM »
Old school all the way for me  :daumenhoch:

Trev

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 01:00 AM »
the reason old school looks good is because of the individuality of the frames. you look at any 80's pics and 9 times out of 10 you would be able to tell straight away what frame they were riding.  there were lots of different bright colour combos. having mag wheels gave a distinctive bmx look, which normal road bikes didn't have.

now days, if you stripped a bike of its decals, at a quick glance how often would you be able to tell what it was? for a lot of people even more than a glance, you still wouldn't be able to tell.

new school bikes are obviously gonna ride better.  technology has moved on. different things have been tried and tested. you may think bikes now are sorted. but i bet in 10 years time, people will look back at the frames today and think "how the hell did i manage to ride on that".  when skyway or haro brought out their frames, all the reviews stated that this was the perfect frame.
don't forget, they weren't exactly made out of plastercine. how many people (who can actually air properly) would feel comfortable airing 6ft out on a street beat? i'm not just talking about us overweight oldies, but kids too.  not many, yet Carlo would get 14/15ft on his.  if they were that bad, they would have been breaking all the time. okay, tricks are bigger now, but a 6ft air is still a 6ft air.

all that said, i will have to agree, old school for show and new school for riding.

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 07:35 AM »
Couldnt of said it better Trev

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 07:57 AM »
I'n not sure if you'd class this as mid or new (I'd say mid), but I think it's the coolest looking machine I've built

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 08:49 AM »
Old school deffo for looks , got more individual character.(not very strong though) Mid school still got some looks and better strength. New school not bad looking bikes ,but all look the same ,but strong as fook and better braking , etc. I think they call this evolution.                                                                                                                                                                                       

Me mind isnt made up yet now that ive got it whether its stunning or ugly , looks pretty strong though                                           

the_cyclops

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 09:12 AM »

new school bikes are obviously gonna ride better.  technology has moved on. different things have been tried and tested. you may think bikes now are sorted. but i bet in 10 years time, people will look back at the frames today and think "how the hell did i manage to ride on that".  when skyway or haro brought out their frames, all the reviews stated that this was the perfect frame.
don't forget, they weren't exactly made out of plastercine. how many people (who can actually air properly) would feel comfortable airing 6ft out on a street beat? i'm not just talking about us overweight oldies, but kids too.  not many, yet Carlo would get 14/15ft on his.  if they were that bad, they would have been breaking all the time. okay, tricks are bigger now, but a 6ft air is still a 6ft air.

The only OS bike I owned that I didnt break was an 85 GT performer.    Ive snapped a midschool PK Ripper in Half. The headtube off a Skyway TA,  Bent a Gen2 Master like a banana, Snapped the forks off a '91 Master, Broke a pair of Peregrine Q Bars in two........should I go on?

zed4130

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 09:22 AM »
I prefere OS , ive treid the new school bikes, and although mine was abit heavy they all look the same these days, and too be honest im old, i would rather look a nob racing on a old bike and use escuses like my bikes old so i have to be easy on it, than a nob on a new one and cant do nothing on it  ;)   :LolLolLolLol: old for me , they look better, with little features , i love the little plate welded on to the seat tube of my robbo, nice and neat, and we were all bought up with these bikes, so why change  :daumenhoch:

dan-dare

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 09:24 AM »

The only OS bike I owned that I didnt break was an 85 GT performer.    Ive snapped a midschool PK Ripper in Half. The headtube off a Skyway TA,  Bent a Gen2 Master like a banana, Snapped the forks off a '91 Master, Broke a pair of Peregrine Q Bars in two........should I go on?

You are going on, about 'snapping ' frames. Most frames from that era were constructed for lightness and a 'basic' level of performance. Any fooker can snap a piece of metal, as most things can be broken. It nauseates me when 'old-soldier' riders from that era boast about how many frames they have broken. Cool hey??? I had to buy all of my gear bitd, so respected my kit. ::)

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 09:25 AM »
i think OS bikes are in the same league as classic cars.
if you have ever owned a classic car you will know what i mean.
they are fantastic to look at and drive occasionally.
 they evoke great times and you attach a personal bond with
 them, but you wouldn't want to stick all the kids
in it and spend 2 weeks driving around the country in it.

i think bikes are the same. OS bikes for show, riding for fun and drooling over
NS bikes should be used and abused like a mondeo :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

the_cyclops

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 10:53 AM »

You are going on, about 'snapping ' frames. Most frames from that era were constructed for lightness and a 'basic' level of performance. Any fooker can snap a piece of metal, as most things can be broken. It nauseates me when 'old-soldier' riders from that era boast about how many frames they have broken. Cool hey??? I had to buy all of my gear bitd, so respected my kit. ::)

Yeah I must be well cool then!

:daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 11:01 AM »
didn't "some kid's dad" make the first decent bmx forks?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  OLD SCHOOL Vs MID SCHOOL Vs NEW SCHOOL

gfxgfx
gfx gfx