gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 16, 2024, 12:49 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  OS Racing over 35 ??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: OS Racing over 35 ??  (Read 4064 times)

antiquebmx

OS Racing over 35 ??
« on: January 11, 2008, 08:41 PM »
I know im an old git, but want to start racing this year, old school.  I live in Surrey

Any advice,  novice obviously. Havent been on a BMX race track since I was 14.

:daumenhoch:

dialledbikes

Re: OS Racing over 35 ??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Do it.

Most of us are around the 40 mark, so you'll be a relative youngster.

Where in Surrey are you?  I'm in Epsom.

antiquebmx

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:59 PM »
Im in Surbiton, 38 in August so getting there,    any racing local?

dialledbikes

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:01 PM »
Dagenham on 27th is the next OS race.  Only about an hour from Surbiton.  :daumenhoch:

series.1.rs.turbo

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 09:08 PM »
Anything in the South Wales Area, Im 37 & wouldnt mind hurting myself for the laugh ??  :daumenhoch:

antiquebmx

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 09:08 PM »
Im in France then but am interested, do they run every month? how do you enter, just turn up?  does everyone ride old school bikes?

I know probably really stupid questions to you all reading   :2funny:

hooga1975

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 09:17 PM »
just come down and join in.  It is a right laugh and everyone is made to feel welcome :daumenhoch:

Offline Nicfred

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 09:20 PM »
just come down and join in.  It is a right laugh and everyone is made to feel welcome :daumenhoch:

yeh its a right laugh,most the barstools will be laughing at you not with you  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:  :LolLolLolLol:  :LolLolLolLol:  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 11:11 PM »
The one at Dagenham is part of the club's winter series aswell as part of the OSWS.
In the winter the club has it's meetings once a month, in the summer it's once a week on a thursday night. Plus then you get the South region regionals at Hayes, Andover, Dagenham, Dunstable and various other tracks that elude my memory. A lot of the old schoolers also race at Braintree, Milton Keynes, Royston. Check the OLD SCHOOL RACING SECTION ON HERE.
Make sure you have long sleeve top, full face helmet, long trousers and gloves. Just  come along and enjoy yourself :daumenhoch:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 11:21 PM »
Anything in the South Wales Area, Im 37 & wouldnt mind hurting myself for the laugh ??  :daumenhoch:

There`s tracks at Burnham on Sea and Cheddar  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 11:28 PM »

I think both them tracks are National tracks, never ridden Cheddar but will not forget Burnham in a hurry.
You might want to build yourself up to these tracks

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 02:27 AM »
Have a look at the Brits OS race, Great bunch of Guys, Great Cause, Great Fun...Wish i was there.

Hope it happens again.

http://www.travelvideos365.com/view/hODqvpU6fF0/2007_BMX_Brits_-_Old_School_Race

Quote from: Mike the commentator
......there's probably about 500 more jumps than there would be on an 80's circuit you know, these guys are doing fantastic just to get around in one piece...
  :-\ Gulp!

Seriously though, i'm 40 in July. Raced BITD from 82-85, my kids love BMX and i'm thinking what the heck,do a few races this year (on my newly aquired Goose hopefully)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 02:35 AM by Brandy Truffle »

series.1.rs.turbo

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 10:48 AM »

I think both them tracks are National tracks, never ridden Cheddar but will not forget Burnham in a hurry.
You might want to build yourself up to these tracks

I thnk i mght of found a small play track close to me to have a go on first. Dont expect to be any good after 22 years, just fancy a having a laugh. If I manage to stay on it would mind going to a meet in the future, so wondered if there is anything in my area ?? :daumenhoch:

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 03:54 PM »
Hayes, Middlesex is probably as near as you'll get to Surbiton.  Details of their meetings at http://www.hawksbmx.co.uk/local.php but no provision for any Old School races in their current Winter Series.  But what the heck, just turn up, pay the entry fee and ride around enjoying yourself with whoever they put you up against.  I've been coming last for years but it won't stop me racing.  Just do it for the thrill of it but if you can get along to an Old School Winter Series event then be sure you won't be last however bad you are - that position is reseved for an elite few amongst us and you have to prove you're not that good to get into our elitist club.  And then there's the dodgy handshake, etc. etc.   :D Humps

antiquebmx

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 05:19 PM »
thanks to all for info,  better get myself helmet and stuff soon.   :daumenhoch:

spillers#1

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 07:29 PM »
you won't regret having a go  :daumenhoch: racing a bmx again is better than growing old gracefully  :D if you need some advice have a chat with zippy "the rider with the big personality"  ;D brits was one of the best weekends of my life  :daumenhoch: even though i'm a STIFF OLD GEEZER huh mrs os queen  :LolLolLolLol:

Burnham is proper new skool though.....i nearly killed meself crashing going over the step up triples down the first straight  :idiot2:

Still beat that ole bird webb though  :-*

KGB Matt

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 10:12 PM »
I think Humps is trying to put you off of taking the prestigeous last place.

As said you have to be pretty special to get that spot.

And neither I nor Humps will give it up that easily.

Matt

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 10:55 PM »

There was a National at the Trevelgue ( spelt wrong I'm sure ! lol ) track last year in Wales  ;)

series.1.rs.turbo

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 11:05 PM »
Fook knows where that is fella, but thanks  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 11:11 PM »
Fook knows where that is fella, but thanks  :daumenhoch:

Wrong !!  :LolLolLolLol:

It was Tredegar bud , soz  ;) .............. here

http://www.dragondownhill.co.uk/2004site/brynbachpark2.htm

Track builder site , few more smaller tracks here .....................

http://www.dragondownhill.co.uk/2004site/BMX.htm

series.1.rs.turbo

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 11:16 PM »
Chers mate, rode this one today

http://www.dragondownhill.co.uk/2004site/maindy.htm

Was about 30ft from one end to another. Didnt like it at all. Made me relise how long it was since Id been on a track though  :2funny:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 11:44 PM »
Chers mate, rode this one today

http://www.dragondownhill.co.uk/2004site/maindy.htm

Was about 30ft from one end to another. Didnt like it at all. Made me relise how long it was since Id been on a track though  :2funny:

I bet it was good to get on a track again though ? ( as small as it was though ! ) .

series.1.rs.turbo

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 11:52 PM »
Yes & no mate, was made up when I saw there was one about 3 miles from me. Waited for it to stop raining & pedaled up there.  I know its only a play track for kids but it was almost unridable, well for me anyway. If you can imagine all those burms & jumps cramed into in 30 feet of straight, well it felt like your back when was still on the downside of jump behind you as the front was on the way up the next. The is a burm section that norrows to less than a foot so if you come out of one wrong you are straght over the top of the next one. Was there 10 mins total.

Made me think have i lost it as I was rolling home, so did some wheelies to make myself feel better  :2funny:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 11:54 PM »
Yes & no mate, was made up when I saw there was one about 3 miles from me. Waited for it to stop raining & pedaled up there.  I know its only a play track for kids but it was almost unridable, well for me anyway. If you can imagine all those burms & jumps cramed into in 30 feet of straight, well it felt like your back when was still on the downside of jump behind you as the front was on the way up the next. The is a burm section that norrows to less than a foot so if you come out of one wrong you are straght over the top of the next one. Was there 10 mins total.

Made me think have i lost it as I was rolling home, so did some wheelies to make myself feel better  :2funny:

Don't worry , I looked at some of the videos on Dragon's site a while back & most are built like trails which are'nt ideal TBH  ::)

series.1.rs.turbo

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 12:43 AM »
This one is squashed in the corner of a lesure center car park. Something for the kids to play on I think. Will have to try & find something else  :(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  OS Racing over 35 ??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx