gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975556 Posts in 138923 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 11, 2024, 10:44 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Things I wish I could do over again!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Things I wish I could do over again!!  (Read 1028 times)

speedraycer

Things I wish I could do over again!!
« on: April 21, 2008, 05:34 AM »
 :idiot2:
I was moving some things around in my garage this weekend and I ran across a trophy from The Jag World Championships of BMX. It was only a third place trophy but it was still over 4ft tall, anyway seeing it reminded me of the story I am about to tell.

It was right after I got picked up on HARO, so  a couple weekends later we jumped in the van to go check out the the event. They scheduled a freestyle contest as one of the events during the race weekend so off I went. The contest was small only a handful of entries, there we only three of us in the 16 and under class but it was the first time I would meet two guys with who I would have many air battles in the years to come. The first was a rider named Todd Anderson and the other Tony Murray. The contest went off as normal and Bob Haro sat in as one of the celeb judges. After it was all said and done I ended up with third place with Todd in second and Tony in first. I thought I should have placed higher than third but hey when your sponsor is one of the judges what are you gonna do? I suppose he did not want to appear biased.

After the contest was done we went to this Mexican restaurant to get some thing to eat I was told some other riders were going to meet us there so when I sat down my jaw dropped to my knees when these "other" guys came in.  Here I was this skinny kid who grew up reading every BMX magazine I could get my hands when all my heros began sitting down...

Stu Thompson
Harry Leary
Perry Kramer
Brent Patterson
Jeff Bottema
Scott Breithaupt
Tommy Brackens
and some other AAA Pro's I can't remember.

There we all were having lunch together the hottest pros in the world and the skinny kid from Whittier. I could hardly believe that a few months earlier I was reading about these guys wondering what it would be like to be one of them and now here they all are sitting in front of me. They were all really cool guys and treated me like a little brother even though I never met any of them before. This was a good day but had I knew who I was having lunch with that afternoon I was have brought my DAMN CAMERA!!! I wonder how awesome it would be to have a photo of that gathering. What would it have been worth today with all the Old School Pro's who started it all and a young newschooler just gettting his feet wet.

Well if I could have a do over on this day. I would wish for a picture with the group of BMX legends...

RS

andy619

Re: Things I wish I could do over again!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:06 AM »
Nice one Rich.  I can remember the first time I met my heros and legends.  Memories for a lifetime.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:50 PM »
Cracking story    :daumenhoch:

bmxer4ever

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 11:01 PM »
Jeez Rich - I used to have that pic on my wall - it's from Bmx Plus!

I was talking to Lee Reynolds recently about a story very similar to yours...

I was staying near Wilkerson's ramp in Leucadia - late '88 - for a couple of months and a bunch of us all went down to Tijuana for a night out. I'll need to ask Lee for help with the entire cast list, but I think there was the two of us, Chris Potts, Kev Martin, possibly Dave Voelker and Joe Johnson and a bunch of other top pros of the day - guys I'D looked up to for years.
All went to a restaurant called Margeritas and they took a pic of all of us together. They brought the pic round at the end of the meal - big 10x8 B&W.....and I didn't get 'round to buying one! (Somebody DID though...) MISTAKE! It would be one of my treasured possesions now!
Then we all went clubbing, got pretty loaded and I had to bribe a Mexican cop so I wouldn't get arrested....But that's a whole other story!

G!

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 03:22 AM »
cool stories :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

priv

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 08:47 PM »
Super cool story Rich.... :daumenhoch:

Daz.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 04:50 PM »
Great story Rich  :daumenhoch:

I'm sure everyone on here would love to hear as many as you can remember  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Things I wish I could do over again!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx