gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975602 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 10, 2024, 12:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Ugliest frame ever?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ugliest frame ever?  (Read 7626 times)

groover247

Re: Ugliest frame ever?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 03:39 PM »
Mike I totally agree with what your saying.

I've worked in and out of the industry and have had a lot of dealings with roadies, mtbers and bmxers.

It seems a quality designed and well applied steel frame is still the PEOPLES choice. That means all of the above sectors.

Titanium needs to be made thicker therefore heavier. Carbon is exactly the same, the avent frames from a few years ago were not that light, as the carbon needed more layers to be used in a BMX application.

If somebody wanted to make an out and out stiff and light race frame, sadly the material should be alloy. This would make it affordable and easy to put into production(see taiwan).

The price of the these new frames will be very similar I suspect Mike to what the Technique ones were. Don't mean to offend, but its just not a price that will meet most BMXers budgets, not matter how serious they are.

So, buy alloy if you want light weight and stiffness. You will have to change your frame every 12-18 months mind.

Buy Ti if you have a deep pocket, it resembles steel in the feel and is plenty strong if built right (see Dialled).

Or, do as I do and get quality steel and ride it to death.

Pardon me if I'm speaking bollox!
sutty

dialledbikes

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 04:11 PM »
So, buy alloy if you want light weight and stiffness. You will have to change your frame every 12-18 months mind.

I'd like to design an alloy frame as I haven't done that before, but the thing that puts me off most is I know I'd be designing something with a shelf life, unlike the steel or Ti frames I've designed which could last forever.

If I made an alloy frame I'd call it Jamaican Bacon!

groover247

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 04:35 PM »
Mike,

there lies the bonus,

surely a min shelf life means more sales if the design is a winner, you'd be guaranteed revenue!!

The only thing that wouldn't sell in the uk mind, is a uk designed alloy race frame. Just because the majority of the UK are trend whores. Where tight jeans, micro gear and steel frames are the winner.

Unless the marketing was on the money.

Look at the revell's that came out 2 years ago. No-one other than team riders have run one. I for one have never seen a bought one being ridden. They are not a bad design (well the cruiser ain't great), but no marketing means no market.

Whatever you did Mike, I'm sure you'd make it work. Look at where you are now.
Sutty

dialledbikes

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 04:50 PM »
surely a min shelf life means more sales if the design is a winner, you'd be guaranteed revenue!!

True.  Alloy frames are the best money spinner for the industry as they need replacing.  I just don't like the idea of designing summat that I know will break eventually.  Only had 7 dialled bikes frames out of almost 1000 break since I started the company in 2003.  I bet some companies get that many warranty returns a week.  I know if I start making alloy frames that number will soon go up.

I think I'd be able to sell decent numbers of alloy race frames as the brand is strong on the race scene at the moment.  But I know what you mean about fads.  When I came back to racing again in 2006, loads of people were riding One Bicycles frames and they seemed really popular.  Hardly see anybody on them now.  Intense Podium seems to be the No.1 alloy race frame at the moment.

groover247

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 04:56 PM »
banana tubes all the way Mike.

It'll be next years black I tell ya!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Ugliest frame ever?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx