gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975553 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 10, 2024, 08:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  South African racing pics from 80's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: South African racing pics from 80's  (Read 63870 times)

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
South African racing pics from 80's
« on: April 17, 2009, 06:00 PM »
Don't have many unfortunately but something for you to enjoy:

Cape Town, Wynberg 1984 - 13 Expert

Somerset West 1984

Cape Town, Goodwood 1986 - Open Class

Ermelo National 1986 - Pro Open Class - David Graziani out front

Cape Town, Milnerton 1987 - Open Class lead by Garth Carnell

Hillcrest National - Freestyle Show 1985

Hillcrest National 1985 -
Open Class lead by Matt? Farmer

View of the track

16 Expert I think

Open Class or Pro's - #2 is Gary Baker and #7 Craig Schutte (I think)

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: South African racing pics from 80's
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 06:11 PM »

cool photos

series.1.rs.turbo

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:24 PM »
Awsome pics  :coolsmiley:

KGB Matt

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 07:12 PM »
I have Craig Schutte's flo  panel......  he gave it to me at Ladysmith after i came round from knocking myself unconcious.

Matt

hudu

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 08:04 PM »
Was Walter Farrington a name over there back then?

kdubbmx

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 08:19 PM »
Is that Gary Gray in 2nd in the first photo???   8)

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 08:33 PM »
nice one Matt - you grew up round there huh? I remember Craig being quite small but super fast!

Yes, I remember Walter Farrington, here he is second in this pic (interesting that you know him, ask him if he still has his WP vs USA trophy from '83):

Dunno about Gary Grey kdub - could be anybody LOL, but I think that kid was Riyard something

hudu

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 09:20 PM »
nice one Matt - you grew up round there huh? I remember Craig being quite small but super fast!

Yes, I remember Walter Farrington, here he is second in this pic (interesting that you know him, ask him if he still has his WP vs USA trophy from '83):

Dunno about Gary Grey kdub - could be anybody LOL, but I think that kid was Riyard something

Walt lived in the UK from about 83-86, then we lost track of him. Think he went back over.

Top boy he was. Raced East Midlands UK and did fairly well on the national circuit too.

Wonder if anyone out there knows where he got to?

daz bmx it!

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Superb old school pics buddy! :daumenhoch:

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 01:32 PM »
ahh - I recall Micheal Fickert, Glen. I look forward to seeing those pics - get 'em on here.

xtremepervert

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 04:25 PM »

Walt lived in the UK from about 83-86, then we lost track of him. Think he went back over.

Top boy he was. Raced East Midlands UK and did fairly well on the national circuit too.

Wonder if anyone out there knows where he got to?

I'm sure he will pop up on Facebook at some point lol.

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 11:47 PM »
Great pics  8)

KGB Matt

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 06:46 AM »
Nicked these from another forum.

Hillcrest, Kzn sometime in the early 80's .. these were four of the fastest guys ever:

2 TVL: Dorien Barella (Transvaal)
6: Garth Carnell (Cape Town)
2: Gary Baker (Natal) Gary passed away in a tragic car accident on his way to SA Champs in Johannesburg
3 TVL: David Grazzianni (Transvaal)

Wayne Farmer - Transvaal, one of the top riders in the 80's

Ladysmith 1982 - Calvin van der Merwe leading out of the second berm

Snowy Smith and John Aldsworth, Newcastle early 80's

Side-car racing showed it's face in the early 80's. These were locally build machines from the garage of Vic Bender, who build all his son's BMX racing frames.
(Left: Peter & Kevin, Sponsored by Clover, Right: Vic Bender, with Megan & Lee-anne)

BMX 'Shows' were a big thing, the crowds loved the entertainment. Kevin Bender jumping through a fire ring at a show in Durban & doing a wheelie without a front wheel for a local school.

Queensburgh, Owen Botha (4), Brian Francis (4) & Kevin Bender (111)

Ill try and find some of mine.... I dont have many though.

Matt

Bullet71

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 10:46 AM »
Just came to this link and wow a pic of me from 1992 (Brien Francs). I have started racing again last year and actually raced with Grant Dekker this last weekend in Pietermaritzburg. I remember being at the 1985 Nationals at Hillcrest. Michael Fikkert last raced with us in 1990 when he was in the army. Someone asked about Walter Farrington, the last I saw of him was in the early 90's he returned from the UK and raced here, I think it was 1991.

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 07:51 PM »
too cool man - I don't even remember there being a Firebird team in SA...
keep em coming these are great! Thanks.

That Ruffel video is from an old SA bmx movie wasn't it - all about his tour etc. I actually broke my wrist on the first, well actually hitting the second, speed jump on the first straight... that track was near Four Ways outside J'burg.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:55 PM by 20to26 »

matt

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 10:53 PM »
great pics, there is a tatooist in st annes on sea who claims to have rode for gt in south africa, i will find out his name

JJR

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 06:45 PM »
cool pics!
I was long time in contact with Toby Groenewald from Bloemfontein.
Anyone ever raced against him?

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 07:45 PM »
cool pics!
I was long time in contact with Toby Groenewald from Bloemfontein.
Anyone ever raced against him?

yeah I remember Toby, he bought one of my bikes BITD - is still riding as far as I know. Spent some time in the US I think & last I heard owned a small Skatepark in Bloemfontein.

wildrider

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 07:48 PM »
hi from grant dekker,decided to join in the chat.toby still rides out of cape town,last raced the sa champs in kempton bmx track last month finished 2nd in 18 over challenge.he is still very fit.i rode with him at this meeting he stayed with my son and i for the weekend went to germiston track and the old germiston bowl,we had a blast.

lots of old riders coming back to play and have fun.collecting old school bikes is also becoming a talking point with a lot of old riders digging up their old bikes for their kids.this weekend i saw a kuwahara junior a cw junior,when asked the parents reckon that they have more at home[wish they would sell lol].

got given some regalier from bmx sa this weekend will sort out and take photos next week.this weekend is the second round of the sa champs in durban will be racing 40 plus cruiser and my son will be racing 10 novice.have past this link to toby so you should hear from him soon.

udxbmx

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 04:54 PM »
Hi Guys

Wow what a find, obie just mailed this to me (what memories) i too have a ton of old pics and will post them soon.

Garth Carnell

udxbmx

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 10:13 PM »
 :) Hey Ben
I have a few pics from that era, i will scan tomorrow and post them.

Garth :)

JJR

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 06:30 AM »
what's the world small  ;D

MIKE FIKKERT

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 12:58 PM »
Hi from Mike Fikkert.

Garth Carnell gave me the details of this site. I remember some of the pics well, in particular the Hillcrest National 1985 pics. (That pic that says Matt Farmer is actually David Graziani as the GHP guy and I'm the Hutch guy with the red plate.

I remember the 3 pro finals were a major battle between my always arch - rival David Graziani (Hi Dave) and I. Other names from the race were Dorian Barella (GT), Garth Carnell (GHP), Gary Baker (R.I.P) (Kuwahara), Lester Carey (Pink Panther), Troy Irving, Craig Schutte (flew over the berm).

Hillcrest was a very well designed track with the right mix of straights, table tops, big berms and un uphill back straight (try lead David until the back straight and don't leave enough gap for him to power through - David did this in the 1st final and then I had to learn just to close the door, as nothing could compete with his power in a straight line).

Other interesting facts from the Hillcrest race were Dorian in the 16 x final fotally clearing the big table top and its back slope as he passed 2 people in the air, and then bailed, without any injury. The 18x had Pink Lester leading and then endoed over the doubles on the 3rd straight, only to be ridden over by about 3 guys.

Cheers,

Mike

udxbmx

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 08:17 PM »
How are you guys posting these old pics? (just scanning the old photos in jpeg?) :-\

I sorted through my old pics and will try post them soon.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 08:59 PM »
How are you guys posting these old pics? (just scanning the old photos in jpeg?) :-\

I sorted through my old pics and will try post them soon.

Have a read of this  :daumenhoch:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=32.0
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  South African racing pics from 80's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx