gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975568 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 18, 2024, 04:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  South African racing pics from 80's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: South African racing pics from 80's  (Read 64054 times)

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: South African racing pics from 80's
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2009, 09:04 PM »
Awesome pics guys  :4_17_5: , keep postin' em up  :daumenhoch: .

Lovin' the GHP team pics , the van , Greg etc etc ( got a couple I'm restoring myself )  ;)

udxbmx

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2009, 06:49 AM »

Greg Hill at speed 1984 sometime

Me after the army i redid my GHP and didnt race much but just enjoyed the jumping

udxbmx

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2009, 06:28 AM »
 :daumenhoch:

Hi Ben PM me your e,mail address and i will send them to you, i have many more. :)

Regards
Garth

udxbmx

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2009, 12:17 PM »
Just let me know if am posting pics twice

Greg tightening his chain, he had coob bros aluminium cranks that flexed like crazy

Mickey Lundy came to SA when i was about 14, and the top 14/15/16/and opens got to race him, the finish was first Micky Lundy, Second David Graziani and third Me

Another goodwood start, i think colin menges

Bullet71

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Here is the url for you tube of the Finals at the 1993 SA Champs at New Germany. In it are Warren Miller, Jim Pinder, Brien Francis, Barry Louw, Barry Fulton and Kevin Bender.
Check the wipeout on last straight!!!
/>
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:12 AM by Bullet71 »

udxbmx

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2009, 12:05 PM »
Ouch Jimmy you nearly took out the whole race :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Jim Pinder

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2009, 06:19 AM »
Hi Guys, what an awesome site, it really brings back memories. This particular crash cost me the S.A. Championship, but what a way to go  ;D ;D ;D.  It was just before I went to the 1993 World Championship in Holland and I will never forget the mission I had to go to in organising a new GT because Barry Louw landed on my bottom tube and and bent it "Moer Toe".......Glen, great to see you still kicking...Are you still riding??????? Still loving speed, these days my bike's got an engine (Yup, I've got a Super bike...) Keep them golden oldies pic's coming....Cheers for now...Jim

udxbmx

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2009, 08:40 AM »
Hey any of you vaalies remember a guy with a bike shop called Bob selley? it may be going back a bit too far, possibly around 1980, we used to ride to his shop from mondeor as he had all the latest frames and parts, this was before the southern bmx shop opened.......hhhmmmmmm

udxbmx

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2009, 08:42 AM »
Hey Jim be careful on that bike, just two days ago i saw a guy hit from behind as he was approaching the robot, he was hit by a bakkie that obviously didnt see him, i was behind the bakkie and just saw the body flying through the air and land in the road, very disturbing to wittness.

udxbmx

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2009, 08:48 AM »
More pics

I think this is more your guys age, the guy in the far gate was really fast on his hutch, glen something in inside gate at alrode

Another goodwood national pic

I remember this clearly racing against Glen Bridges (where are you today glen?)

Same time different race, alrode again first corner

udxbmx

« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2009, 07:38 PM »
The track in krugersdorp was killer, i enjoyed the downhill part with huge doubles in it, the first straight had a dangerous table top, i think it was too short considering our speed, i broke my torker this weekend on the table top, you can see in this pic, we are way over the jump and are going to come down hard.

Me no 141 and Deon Nel next to me in the green and yellow

We had a jump spot just to the east of mondeor called "redsands"we used to ride about 10ks to ride this spot, it is all houses now and no sign of red sand.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:40 PM by udxbmx »

Bullet71

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Hey Jim long time no hear. How are things its about time you got a cruiser and came raced again with us old ballies. I had a nice huge reminder how hard the ground gets the older you get. I landed on my head and back last weekend at Queensburgh and suffered the whole week. But main thing is still loving being back on a bike again.

udxbmx

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2009, 09:19 AM »
Do you guys want more or is it getting a bit long in the tooth?

udxbmx

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2009, 07:06 PM »
OK i will scan more and post.

Ben i havent forgotten to mail you.

zabmx

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2009, 06:36 PM »
nice pics!  I rememeber those tracks.  Ill be seeing my parents in August, Ill have them bring all the old pics.  There should be a few good ones in there.  I do have a few here now Ill scan and upload very soon!   I remember David Graziani.  And wow!  A pink trick star with aerospeeds in SA!  Who would have thought
Anyone remember Jason Smuts, Jimmy Pinder, Russel McGowan, Michael Fickert, Michael and Wayne Buys?

That guy on the Trckstar is Lee Irving, Troy's brother. The bike belonged to Mike Buff and when the Hutch team toured in SA in 84 Mike gave his bike to Lee. All these pics bring back some awesome memories. I used to belong to Alrode club but raced all over. I was also at that Hillcrest national in 86. I wasn't the quickest guy around but still ate, slept, breathed BMX for most of the 80's. Still have my Pro Racer and Race Inc.

Lets see some more photos!!!

udxbmx

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2009, 11:11 AM »
I havent been back to alrode in years, i have a brass brick in the clubhouse with my name on it (we donated some money when they were going to build the clubhouse) it will be cool to see it.

I am having trouble with my machine, so i will post new pics next week.

G

zabmx

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2009, 09:28 AM »
nice pics!  I rememeber those tracks.  Ill be seeing my parents in August, Ill have them bring all the old pics.  There should be a few good ones in there.  I do have a few here now Ill scan and upload very soon!   I remember David Graziani.  And wow!  A pink trick star with aerospeeds in SA!  Who would have thought
Anyone remember Jason Smuts, Jimmy Pinder, Russel McGowan, Michael Fickert, Michael and Wayne Buys?

That guy on the Trckstar is Lee Irving, Troy's brother. The bike belonged to Mike Buff and when the Hutch team toured in SA in 84 Mike gave his bike to Lee. All these pics bring back some awesome memories. I used to belong to Alrode club but raced all over. I was also at that Hillcrest national in 86. I wasn't the quickest guy around but still ate, slept, breathed BMX for most of the 80's. Still have my Pro Racer and Race Inc.

Lets see some more photos!!!

Cool man, who are you?

Pretty much an unknown moto-filler from back then. Name is Andre Roodt. I lived in Pretoria and did my racing at Back of the Moon, and then Kudu Park. Can't remember why i joined Alrode since it wasn't exactly my home track. My parents weren't really interested in BMX so i used to go to the races with the Bloomer brothers, Kirk and Greg. Really gratefull to their parents for carting me along all those times. There were some really quick guys from my area. Wayne Honeyman, Matthew Kimble(RIP), Roger Smith, The Bloomers and Michael Van Leeuen are some that come to mind.

I remember racing against Jason Smuts, i beat him a couple of times but i always admired how flat he could get his table tops, pretty rad kid for back then.

udxbmx

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2009, 04:28 PM »
Hi guys i haveny forgotten about you.
I bought myself a 2007 GT cruiser and am going to the nationals in natal in a weeks time, this should be interesting after not racing for what 20 years or so?
no bets, i am just going to have fun 40 and over cruiser.

I have bars on now so all is good.

wildrider

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2009, 11:43 AM »
HI GARTH,looking forward to seen you at nationals.[tip,put you bike seat down lol,it will launch you on the new tracks].toby and i just spoke i believe your son will also be racing YES more second generation bmx racers.i will be missing this race and worlds due to injury[clip pedals v ankle, ankle lost]will be spectator for a change.

more pics is also my vote.just got some more stuff from viv steer need to take photos and post.1 st flag that sa used at 1st worlds they officially were allowed[1992],signed shirts 1990 sa tour,lots of old photos etc.

see you soon grant.

Bullet71

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2009, 05:51 PM »
Hey Garth It will be good to see you at Nationals just take it easy quite a few of us old timers have broken ourselves quite quickly when returning and Grant I had the honour of beeing one of the ones to carry that flag at worlds 92.

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Freecaster.tv will be covering the Pietermaritzburg leg of the BMX Supercross on August 21st
http://freecaster.tv/bmx/1007436/uci-bmx-supercross-by-swatch-pietermaritzburg

wildrider

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2009, 07:34 AM »
grath ran 3rd all weekend well done.lots of old faces were back good to see.toby was a sight to see 38 and running top3 all weekend in 18 and over 20 inch.track was fast tecnical and fun to watch[i am out with injury].well done to the old school racers we still got it.

wildrider

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2009, 01:48 PM »
no vids but am working with garth to post some of my old photos,sould be on by end of week.

udxbmx

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2009, 08:06 PM »
Right Guys i am back in cape town and getting back to earth, i raced the 2 legs on saturday (3 motos and a final in each leg, i got thirds in all races except one 4th) and thought i was going to die, after each moto my legs were so pumped up that they felt like tree stumps and i took about 15 minutes for my breathing to get back to normal (not easy this bmx stuff) Talking to the other guys i realised i hadent raced in 20 years but as the day went on i seemed to feel better and stronger although i was getting tired, so with the result was i was getting closer to the top 2 toward the end.

I am going to keep at it and then race again next year and race the worlds (we shall see what i can do)

I hope there was no video footage as i was really struggling with the technical side of the track.

Once again Thanks Guys

udxbmx

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2009, 07:54 AM »
It was really surreal to be at the track racing a national (the whole weekend it felt asif i was somewhere else) Met mark Roffey and i said i would post a pic of him, this is at the millpark race.

Hey mark we have all changed somewhat?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  South African racing pics from 80's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx