gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 16, 2024, 05:58 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Tarmac berms?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tarmac berms?  (Read 2869 times)

part time

Tarmac berms?
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:06 AM »
Having tentativley returned after years in the wilderness, I notice most tracks seem to have tarmac berms these days.  Whats that all about then?  Ease of track maintenace or something?  Just a bit curious.......

dialledbikes

Re: Tarmac berms?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:40 AM »
You got it.  Once laid, they require very little maintenance.

MOORO

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:47 AM »
Yep topping and wacker plating a 15 foot tall, 50 foot long berm is no fun at all , blisters on blisters on blisters  >:(

part time

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:06 AM »
Fair enough, thought as much.

Hopefully they ride better than those kinked concrete monsters at Wantage (I think it was) back in the day!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:13 AM by part time »

telelogic

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:01 PM »
when I first saw the tarmac berms at the olympics I thought they looked murder for race tires (made for gripping dirt)

and judging by the amount of front wheel washouts, I was right! just when you need more grip, you get less.

It's a bit like super moto but all ass about tit.

part time

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:05 PM »
I did also wonder about that....

dialledbikes

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 12:39 PM »
Telelogic, if you look at a lot of today's race tyres, they aren't really designed for gripping dirt.  More for the least rolling resistance on hard pack surfaces.

e.g. Intense Micro Knobbies, Tioga Power Block, Maxxis DTH, etc

telelogic

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 01:17 PM »
sure, you're right!

I was looking at it from an old school perspective.

you don't seem to see the super muddy races any more, and I had noticed the lack of the big treads on the race tires while looking for bits for my new school freestyler.

dialledbikes

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Yeah, for better or worse, the tracks these days a lot different to the ones we rode as kids.  The surface isn't really dirt and all the corners are tarmac.

It's made the sport faster and more exciting (at the top end) to watch.  But it also means that some of the MX in BMX has been lost along the way.

But it's still a million times more fun than spending the weekend at Ikea or down the boozer  :daumenhoch:

telelogic

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 02:15 PM »
I heard that :daumenhoch:

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 02:37 PM »
But it's still a million times more fun than spending the weekend at Ikea or down the boozer  :daumenhoch:

Amen, brother   :)

teamsano

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 10:35 PM »
they are 100 times more grippier than gravel surfaces, meaning you can get on the power much earlier. don't fancy slamming on it tho!

dodger

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 11:13 AM »
i find it makes a hell of allot of difrence when u really need to pump out of a berm i rode a tarmacked berm track for 3 hours  then went to a gravel bermed track after and wiped out first run as i was abit to hot on the speed lol

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 01:11 PM »
How about this variation on the theme http://www.bmxtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22199  Humps

telelogic

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 01:19 PM »
jeesus! slippery AND lethal, cool combo ;)

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 05:20 PM »
raced crewe a couple of weeks ago, the best tarmac berms ive ridden, shame to lose the old dirt ones but if it means tracks can afford to stay open n operate then its gonna be a necessary evil, h/pool track may be in line for some, which is a shame, as dirt rocks, but they do require a load of upkeep. Hopefully tho, they are gonna keep a couple dirt, which would be awesome. bradford's berms are tarmac and they are also SHITE!

telelogic

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 05:30 PM »
can I ask what kind of protection you wear? (steady)

I'm looking at the 661 pressure suit, and a full face lid (cheaper than teeth)

crashing seems to hurt a lot more than it did when I was a kid.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 05:43 PM »
i wear 661 pressure suit n i got a bell balistic full face off the bay for a tenner, price isn't really an issue, old bones don't bounce :(

telelogic

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 05:48 PM »
great, I'm on the right track then. (no pun intended, honestly)

moomin

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 05:55 PM »
I loved the tarmac berms at Peterborough for the Brits, was kinda cool that you didn't have to worry about hitting a sand patch and the front end sliding out, that said it was certainly an art to be mastered in cornering as it's just soooooo different to the O/S mud  :'(

I was just using race gear with no pads changed to using 661 elbow, knee and shin protectors after my gracefull off after Herne Bay's finish line :-[ :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Tarmac berms?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx