gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975596 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 07, 2024, 12:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Another project. This time it's a lambo !
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Another project. This time it's a lambo !  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Another project. This time it's a lambo !
« on: May 27, 2024, 03:34 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

So I now refer to the Ti bike as "My Ferrari". I only gave it that nickname when I noticed how much red I had put on it. Thing is it shares a lot in common with a rari. Mostly I never take it out in the wet, polish and clean it on the regs and it's the sports car of bikes.

So, even though that one ended up quite spendy (1500 quid. That is A LOT of bike for that much, the frame RRP is 400 quid more ffs !) this one should not. I reckon about a third, to half of that. That doesn't mean it will be crap, I just got really lucky....

So the other day I was looking on the bay after a mate on another forum asked where I kept getting  all the frames from. I went and looked for him but you know how it ends up  :LolLolLolLol:

Well what I found was some NOS unpainted frames. Bianchi, Pinarello etc. Like, literally cutting edge frames of the time. This particular one is a Pinarello Treviso and back in 2014 it cost about 5 grand.

Because these bikes were so expensive they used to send them out like that. IE, at that price the customer could then specify a colour and they would paint it. The only image I can find of a complete one is this.

It's gorgeous. How much for the frames? 45 quid  :LolLolLolLol: I shit thee not.

So my mate grabbed one, and then I might have grabbed one too. My brother came over to collect my old PK, like this.

And we got chatting and yeah he may have ended up taking my frame the bastud. I then ordered another.  :LolLolLolLol:

The nice thing is she is literally ready. What prep work is required is absolutely minimal. They have even smoothed off the head tube, primed it and etc. So that got the ideas flowing. I have a bike with lots of red, let's do a lambo inspired build.

"Pineapple Passion" it is called. Proper 2k bobby and all.

I then started calculating what parts I needed. Turns out I already had a load. I did not, however, have a fork so I got this from the same place for 80 quid.

Ridley carbon fork.  This bike is going to have rear gears. The first I have ever done.

I then ordered a lot of parts. First stop was Ali Express looking for some bars and I found them too.

25.4 clamping area. So I got a stem on there too for a fiver (the bars were 35 inc shipping and VAT).

So that is the front end and steering sorted. I then proceeded to gentlemans relish 150 quid on brakes.

And.

When I took the Ti bike out for the test run and speed test (fook me it's fast) I ripped the back of my leg open bringing it back up the stairs. Which made me very angry, as I got blood all over my shorts. So I found these.

You insert two fingers, pull the lever out and they fold up. Cables.

Wheels I am not sure about yet. Like I say, I have never ever set up gears before so the wheels will be ordered last minute. What I did know was this was sitting in the loft.

And the cranks on it are not safe for a BMX. They are hollow carbon, and they flex inward. So you can not stand up and ride on them. As such I had no problem doing this.

'cause I am having that seat post too. I am 99% sure the seat tube on the Pinarello is 27.2

Then a set of fatter tyres. 28c.

With enough grip to go over gravel and stones (something I would not be happy about doing on the Ti bike !).

I only really need wheels now, but again I will wait until I am ready. Oh and a rear derailleur and a simple bar mount shifter. For the seat I will finally be using this.

Frame should arrive fast (last one did) and the paint should arrive by Weds too. I am hoping to get it all painted by the end of the week.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: Another project. This time it's a lambo !
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2024, 11:56 AM »
Intrigued to see how this goes. :daumenhoch:

Nice to see that GT again too! :coolsmiley:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2024, 08:08 PM »
Yeah, dude it was FILTHY. It has been nearly three years since I have even so much as touched it.

The carbon post on it was never a good idea, due to the pinch design. It crunched that post. Thankfully not anywhere near where it matters for this build so I will cut it down.

OK so update time.

I ordered those a couple of days back. Grips should match the seat lovely. The frame came in today and is going to be a minor ball ache. First off the BB is Italian, but I think I still have the ends I removed in the reverse of this shit a couple of months back  :LolLolLolLol: but secondly it needs a very obscure headset.

Semi integrated BUT 41.4mm, not the standard 44. That's the bloody Italians for you  :LolLolLolLol: I am hoping that will sort that issue. I will then need to find these (the ends)

And fit them to my Octalink BB. Not hard.

Turned out the frame and fork were the same seller. Which was nice, as they gave me back a tenner. Those came in today.

The fork is a work of pure art.

Stunning. So I found some old style decal art (the type I want) online. Guy wanted 60 quid for them  :LolLolLolLol: ass hat. I upscaled these using AI

Just for the lettering and "Treviso" part. Apparently the Pinarello Treviso has always been their top end model. Treviso is the town in Italy where they are based.

I ordered that a few days back from Ali Express. Came today. I love that. Proper takes me back to my childhood that does. I also have received the tyres, brake levers, brake cables and a few other smalls. The paint also came in today. I also had a pretty crazy idea. See, all of Pinarellos new frames are carbon. The one I got? 2012-2016. I love the look of forged carbon. It is stunning, so I got this.

I am going to cut the Pinarello lettering from that. The idea is that basically with those decals on it will look like the frame is carbon. At which point someone put gold candy over it, put the lettering on as stencils, painted it yellow and then took them off, exposing the carbon underneath.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 01:15 PM »
Lambo build now has Lambo doors.  :LolLolLolLol:

Wait for it....

Ayyyyyyyy  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2024, 04:26 AM »
Nice doors! :daumenhoch:

I've said this before and I'll keep saying it until you stop building (if that ever happens) but I love following your threads! I like the bikes, of course, but I think it's the way you work though all the problems that I really enjoy reading! I have neither the skills nor patience!! :bow:

Keep up the good work!!
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2024, 12:05 PM »
It's funny because I suppose in a way I am a bit of a masochist. I know going in that I am going to have to go through all sorts of shit, but for some reason I get off on it.

Thing is this time I met my match. Not because of me. I have amazing patience. This time though my brother is in the mix. So I have to worry about him not ending up with anything etc. And the stress? jesus. So I think I am going back to flying solo in the future  :LolLolLolLol:

As for this though? Well I thought about it. "What the F is the point in building yet another 20" that is just going to sit there, when I can build something that will get ridden the shit out of?" These are harder to store, but that won't be a problem with what I have planned.

Any way something that has been bugging me has been the decals. I really, really like the ones on the original Treviso (IE my one)

I looked bloody everywhere but to no avail. Then in a twist of irony I knew that I had seen that sort of font before.

I threw this together in about 5 mins. Need to do the outline the correct shape and refine it, but ffs.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2024, 12:13 PM »
Oh and also. The impossible has been achieved.

Bloody huge relief that was !

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2024, 01:01 PM »
Things I forgot. I ordered a seat clamp for 3 quid.

It has speed holes

I also ordered this. Its code name is Tuesdays Child.

Sorry about her box  :LolLolLolLol: last time I uploaded a pic of Mondays Child Imgur deleted it :(

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2024, 01:49 PM »

Sanded it wet with P600, then with a brillo pad before the etch.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2024, 04:26 PM »
Pearl white base coat down.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2024, 01:15 PM »
Got a pic last night once it was in.

It now has a whole can of pineapple pearl on it. Unfortunately it is the shade that makes insects horny, but panic ye not I willl just let it dry (1hr) and then tack cloth the wee fukkas off  :LolLolLolLol:

What I will say? I am never using candy again. This is not candy, and it shows. You don't have to do like 8 coats to get a beautiful colour.

Clear goes down in about 40 mins, expect pics later.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2024, 02:25 PM »
Paint done.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2024, 08:53 PM »
That is going to look  "wantit" Sweet  explosion

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2024, 02:56 PM »
Yeah, not using the candy again. It is super runny and takes 8 coats. F those apples, that took two.

It is now hardening up and I have returned home. Upon my return I immediately dug for the saddle.

Turns out, and I never even bloody realised, it had a nice surprise waiting for me  :LolLolLolLol:

7 years and I did not even realise it had Ti rails. FFS.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2024, 12:24 PM »
Mornoon.

I bought a wheel set. Basic, but sealed. Weight not so important on this bike as I want to be able to go much further on it.

I still need to get a shifter and derralier. I also got some tubes. This time latex. Heavier, but don't need pumping up every time I ride.

As I say, reliability. I don't need headaches miles from home.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Another project. This time it's a lambo !

gfxgfx
gfx gfx