gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 04:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  ANYONE RACED SOUTH CENTRAL?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ANYONE RACED SOUTH CENTRAL?  (Read 7957 times)

part time

Re: ANYONE RACED SOUTH CENTRAL?
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Glad I wasn't it's only 'victim'  :D

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 01:18 PM »
Sorry Andy, i've just had a look through the results and i cannot find you listed at all. The only one i found listed is T.Morgan racing in Boys 12 years old (as of 1987 results)

I would have been 17 then and my brother 14.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 09:20 PM »
my name is richard harvey ;) i've got a few of those old programs and track chats somewhere (i had a rider profile thing in one of them!) and the pre British champs booklet thing with all the regions top 8 rankings for the year

NBMXA South central was a tough region, there were sometimes 1/8ths / 1/4ers etc at regionals for each age group! i cant remember how many riders but from photos theres usually hordes of people surrounding the tracks :daumenhoch:

my first regional ranking was 8 and i made the Derby british champs so was well happy, that was a great buzz to race in that stadium :)

i did ukbmx regionals aswell one year and raced at an unfinished soggy track in Dudley for the British champs anyone remember it?

my home club was petersfield, either had gate practice wednesdays with flood lights or interclub races with gosport then racing every sunday and southsea skatepark visits on saturdays, i'm glad i grew up in the 80's when there were more local facilities/tracks for bmxing kids :daumenhoch:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 07:20 PM »
Hi Richard, looked in my programme and you were listed in boys 13 years old, finishing 4th for that year behind....J.Tye (3rd), C.Wesson (2nd) and Mike Baggs (1st). That year i was in boys 16 years coming in 4th, same as you. Goooood times!! I made the British championships around 86/88 cant remember exactly as i went to Derby twice. I've got a funny feeling that one of those was something other than the British championships. Can you remember?

Dave

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 07:40 PM »
also just remembered,did anyone attend (can't remember what year)the end of season bash/trophy presentation at Swindon ice rink,probably about 1986.Spent the evening skating with Nicky Sturgeon  :smitten: then got a lift to the train station only to watch the last train of the evening pulling out from the end of the platform.  :tickedoff:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 10:17 PM »
any new updates?

Twatty

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2009, 10:55 PM »
I used to race SC region. Currently back racing the South region in 40-44 cruiser and lovin it.

Link to my old pictures on facebook, with loads of SC racing in there. Nic Preec has lots we were looking at at the brits also, but he has not scanned them in yet.

Enjoy.

Matt

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=74726&id=691116001&l=4513cc8c09

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 11:05 PM »
brill pics Matt,looks like you were in a year or two above me.did you ever race at Henley'more!!!

Twatty

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 09:06 PM »
Henly was a track that sprung up after I gave up, (1985), I tkink. Who you used to race? Trying to work out if I know who you are.

Dont many more old pictures, but ill PM you a link to the last couple of seasons if your interested. Ill try and get Nic to load his also,.

Matt.

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 09:29 PM »
Evening Matt,at Henley,i used to race Darren Baker ,Johnathan Cleever.Dave Ivory was a year above me,sorry thats all that leaps to mind at the moment.Used to race against "Darren"(Van Den Eeden...sorry if i've spelt it wrong Darren).Tadley,Petersfield etc...Darren Collins,Lee Stephens.Alan Porter,year above me!

Dave.,

shortie 1970

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 08:43 PM »
I raced south central, 83, 84,85, and 86.
started in the 12's did 1 race that year, a few more in 84, 85 road quite a few, and  stopped racing late 86 as i started work, started going to the pub regularly and  sundays were particularly hard then.

Mainly raced at Bristol, as this was the closest regional track.
Finished 7th in the 85/86 winter series, and got taken out in my semi final at derby, as i drew a heat with 1 gt factory rider, 2 gt factory support and 1 redline factory rider, didnt like me being in 3rd place, and they bunched me in the last berm and took me out, finished in 6th in the end, i was absoloutly gutted.

I remember the long days racing, 3 heats, then 1/8ths, 1/4'ers and semi's.

used to race against Gary Chamlevicz (i think) at 13 he was 6ft 6" with size 15 feet, he was huge compared to most of us.

I used to travel to the Regional's with Nigel Hopkinson (hoppy)

Bristol with the Huge doubles at the start, bath large camel top ,slough doubles in the start that everyone was leval jumping always loads of accidents as track narrowed quickly  after the doubles.

andy

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 09:32 PM »
also just remembered,did anyone attend (can't remember what year)the end of season bash/trophy presentation at Swindon ice rink,probably about 1986.Spent the evening skating with Nicky Sturgeon  :smitten: then got a lift to the train station only to watch the last train of the evening pulling out from the end of the platform.  :tickedoff:

Old thread,but....regarding my comment about Nicky Sturgeon..found out from her bro Daniel that Nicky died a few years ago...so if anyone reading this knows them,then i just want this thread to go out as a mark of respect to Nicky and her family.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  ANYONE RACED SOUTH CENTRAL?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx